• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto on E3: 'I saw no games I would have liked to create myself'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayman Legends/Teraway/puppeteer all look like better platformers than anything nintendo has put out in a long long time.
Let's not exagerate here. Nintendo problem with their platformers recently is that they are kind of diluting the experience with frequent more or less similar releases. Reality is they remain untouchable in that genre, not even the best of indie stuff touches the latest Mario 2D in quality.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
For contrast, a game Miyamoto said he wished he would have made was: Katamari Damacy.

Oh.. And I wish GAF would come to understand that most of the "statements" that are made by industry figures, and become threads, are in response to an interviewer's question. So many people act as as if this were like a press release that Miyamoto sent out, or whatever. It was likely just an off the cuff response to an interviewer's inquiry.

jgmo870

Banned
Not if you like playing platformers instead of just looking at them.

From what I hear, Puppeteer controls just as well as any Nintendo platformer but it has an actual budget and you know, creativity. Plus Rayman Origins was better than any NSMB game I played so I doubt Legends will somehow be worse.

From what I hear, Puppeteer controls just as well as any Nintendo platformer but it has an actual budget and you know, creativity. Plus Rayman Origins was better than any NSMB game I played so I doubt Legends will somehow be worse.

I liked Rayman Origins a lot, but I would have to disagree with that.

so...uh I know it's cool and everything to hate on where gaming has been heading, and for the most part it has been getting generic...but WHY THE FUCK IS NINTENDO SCARED TO MAKE MATURE RATED GAMES?

is miyamoto and retro etc. just incapable of making games that go beyond being accessible to all ages? at some point they gotta at least be curious right?
Sometimes I dont know what I be expecting on this place..

MilesVor

Banned
soulless? that's what you wanna go with? kay.

Yes, definitely.

When I play Mario games or Zelda games each game will leave a very clear impression, and I'll often go back to play a specific game.
Fifa? There's more than 1?
Call of Duty? Honestly, they're all starting to merge together in my head.
Let's not even start about the COD-wannabe's.
I see people on forums and comment sections everywhere confusing one game with the other.

gngf123

so...uh I know it's cool and everything to hate on where gaming has been heading, and for the most part it has been getting generic...but WHY THE FUCK IS NINTENDO SCARED TO MAKE MATURE RATED GAMES?

is miyamoto and retro etc. just incapable of making games that go beyond being accessible to all ages? at some point they gotta at least be curious right?

Nintendo don't like putting their own studios on M rated games all that much, but they have no problems funding or overseeing the development of M rated games.

In fact, they actually have one of the greatest horror games ever made under their belt. They are also the only reason why Bayonetta 2 exists.

In this thread (and every other thread): confusing reuse of character IP with reuse of game mechanics.

If you took NSMB, changed the graphical style and redesigned every art asset and used new characters and setting (but the mechanics, stages, etc) stayed the same, is this a new game or the same game as NSMB?

If you took Uncharted, and did the above but gave it Mario characters and setting, are NSMB and Uncharted Mario the same game since they feature the same character IP?

Which game is more different from NSMB: the reskin with a new character IP, or the TPS that reuses graphical styles and characters?

krYlon

I doubt they are incapable, it just goes against their philosophy. It's like asking why Pixar don't make films that aren't accessible to all ages. Why is it such a bad thing anyway?

gogogow

I don't understand this at all. They have their own philosophy. Does Nintendo have to go out their way to specificically create a M-Rated game to please a certain group of gamers? Yeah, let's create a game with guns, lots of blood and decapitations or whatever, then Nintendo is finally teh mature and not teh kidday anymore!

krYlon

Legends? Really? Origins was pretty, but I didn't think it was *that* great as platformers go.

If Rayman Origins didn't look the way it did, no one would be talking about it as a Mario beater. It was good, solid, nothing more.

TaroYamada

Let's not exagerate here. Nintendo problem with their platformers recently is that they are kind of diluting the experience with frequent more or less similar releases. Reality is they remain untouchable in that genre, not even the best of indie stuff touches the latest Mario 2D in quality.

Uhhh no. Cave Story destroys any of the nsmb games and is an indie title. Given it's not a pure platformer like nsmb.

That game is shit compared to NSMB. Any NSMB. Granted, it's going after a FAR different end goal, but it still pales in comparison when it comes to design and control. Rayman is beautiful for sure, and it's even creative at times, but it's also a very hollow game. Legends looks more dynamic from what we've seen(the bosses do anyway), but seriously, there would have to be a COMPLETE overhaul to the entire philosophy behind it for it to compare with the genius level design Mario has. I personally like the clean, uncluttered look of NSMB, but Rayman is definitely a beautiful piece of work. Details everywhere, smooth framerate, vibrant colors...it's outstanding to look at. I just wish it played as good as it looked.

Puppeteer looks floaty, regardless of what the devs say about how well it controls and how they hate floaty platformers. I'll give them credit and take a shot for them though, because Puppeteer does indeed look imaginative as all hell. I'm still pissed it has to release at a lower price point just to compete. It's clearly more of a true work that most of the other $59.99 bullshit we get.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In my opinion, that some of the folks here feel the need to assume that his statement is in any way condascending is a testament to just how much the same folks actually acknowledge his works.

I personally don't think him saying this means he does not value/consider the games themselves as trash.

well when every game you've ever made, is just a slight variation of the same games you've made since the 80s, that goes without saying, hell even I could have said that

Rather than mocking other games he should help his own studio go get back on track again! it's not like nintendo showed many great masterpieces on the show floor this year.

jgmo870

Banned
That game is shit compared to NSMB. Any NSMB. Granted, it's going after a FAR different end goal, but it still pales in comparison when it comes to design and control. Rayman is beautiful for sure, and it's even creative at times, but it's also a very hollow game. Legends looks more dynamic from what we've seen(the bosses do anyway), but seriously, there would have to be a COMPLETE overhaul to the entire philosophy behind it for it to compare with the genius level design Mario has. I personally like the clean, uncluttered look of NSMB, but Rayman is definitely a beautiful piece of work. Details everywhere, smooth framerate, vibrant colors...it's outstanding to look at. I just wish it played as good as it looked.

And the NSMB games aren't?

Puppeteer looks floaty, regardless of what the devs say about how well it controls and how they hate floaty platformers. I'll give them credit and take a shot for them though, because Puppeteer does indeed look imaginative as all hell. I'm still pissed it has to release at a lower price point just to compete. It's clearly more of a true work that most of the other $59.99 bullshit we get.

Not in the latest trailers, no. And previewers are saying the game controls extremely well, not just the developers.

Same as Nintendo's showing then, minus new IPs?
Wonderful 101 not only is a new IP, but it also has new gameplay mechanics and SM3D World is the first multiplayer 3D mario.
I think that even the "uninspired" Nintendo still brings much more innovations in terms of pure gameplay mechanics than most of the 3rd partys or other first.

jgmo870 said:
Not in the latest trailers, no. And previewers are saying the game controls extremely well, not just the developers.
The same was said about little big planet. Even I remember that when it was released some people considered it the best platformer for any console, much better than galaxy, and when I played it it was a FIASCO in capital letters.
This time I won't fall for the hype until I play it myself, because it's pretty clear to me that those people saying that LBP was better than Galaxy were CASUALS speaking only about the graphics.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
He has no games outside of Mario 3D Land, and 8 kart. Which have been the same games for years. Yet, he decides to turn his nose at the games of others? Tell me Witcher 3 wasn't enticing! Tell me FF XV didn't make you cream your pants! Tell me Destiny didn't want to coerce you into playing it! Tell me Metal Gear Solid V didn't make you wet yourself?

Miyamoto is a prime example of arrogance, and delusional chauvinism.

All he outputs is B to A games recently, and he has the gall to knock on the floor of e3 as a whole? Bashing all the AAA games in the process?
Isn't he the guy who decided he wanted to have created Angry Birds?

Is your console selling, mimi?

Yeah, just don't act like you know how the industry works when you're so far up your arse.

#thesaltisstrongwiththisone

gogogow

Rather than mocking other games he should help his own studio go get back on track again! it's not like nintendo showed many great masterpieces on the show floor this year.

Wait. what? Just because Miyamoto said there aren't any games at E3 that he would have wanted to make, doesn't mean he was mocking them. He didn't say they sucked, played bad or whatever. Where you getting that from?

He didn't say the games sucked ass so he didn't want to make them.

TrueBlue

But he wasn't really mocking them. He sinply said they wouldn't be games he'd like to make, and there's nothing wrong with that.

He has no games outside of Mario 3D Land, and 8 kart. Which have been the same games for years. Yet, he decides to turn his nose at the games of others? Tell me Witcher 3 wasn't enticing! Tell me FF XV didn't make you cream your pants! Tell me Destiny didn't want to coerce you into playing it! Tell me Metal Gear Solid V didn't make you wet yourself?

Miyamoto is a prime example of arrogance, and delusional chauvinism.

All he outputs is B to A games recently, and he has the gall to knock on the floor of e3 as a whole? Bashing all the AAA games in the process?
Isn't he the guy who decided he wanted to have created Angry Birds?

Is your console selling, mimi?

Yeah, just don't act like you know how the industry works when you're so far up your arse.

#thesaltisstrongwiththisone
Yall like this kind of stuff, did you read the OP? lol, be out for blood over nothing lol

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Rayman Legends/Teraway/puppeteer all look like better platformers than anything nintendo has put out in a long long time.

bwahaha

No doubt those will all be good games but not a single one will come close to the genius of Galaxy 2 or DKCR. I doubt they will even be better than Mario 3D Land. Nintendo just can't be matched when it comes to platform games.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
What an ignorant statement. He might use the same wrapping paper but there's always at least some deviation or innovation in his work.

Back to buying COD/Madden and FIFA you swine.
What a great post. Especially that second line.

Such raw emotion. Such a surgically precise jab.

wildfire

Banned
Sort of like Nintendo's offerings no? I mean come on, I love Shigeru, but he didn't get thrilled by the features in upcoming games like the Division or Destiny?

What about a game like Project Spark? I'm sure he'll get a free pass because of his past acclaim, but I'm pretty sure other devs are saying, we saw nothing from Nintendo we'd want to make ourselves.

For Division and Destiny like what? Please explain.

I already get what makes Spark different and something to be potentially inspired by (then again if Miyamoto already saw LBP and Zudo it may have been easy to dismiss anything else Spark possibly is adding).

Those other two games just have technical flourishes like closing car doors as you pass by them that do noting for gameplay. So please explain what grabs your attention as amazing inspirations for gameplay.

tkscz

He's saying that he wouldn't feel compelled to make those games, not that they have no value or that they suck.

That would be Peter Molyneux.

I don't trust him, i understand fps, action etc, but what about puppeter, tearway or indie games like hooklum, rain and similar?

*insert new ip/reusing assets joke here.

Which brings up my next question. Does he mean the conferences or the entire expo?

Kade

Urgh. People need to think before they claim stuff like that.

For most major franchises, a new game is (more or less in order of importance):
- Updated/new graphics engine
- New story (same as the old one)
- New weapons/models
- New environments/level design
- New multiplayer modes
- New _general_ gimmick (now you can ride mechs!)

For Nintendo and some other devs:
- New level/gameplay mechanics
- New level design
- New _general_ gimmich
- New feel/atmosphere/art style
- New player modes (single and multi)
- Updated/new graphics engine
- New story

I'm sorry, but if I personally had to pick between the two... I prefer Nintendo's priorities.
Who cares if Mario/Link always has to save the princess, the gameplay is ace.
I swear I haven't been able to play 99% of modern AAA games for more than an hour or so, even though the more "mature" art style is a lot more attractive to me usually.
In the end, most games which prioritize the first list = soulless.

I can tell you don't play many games, Nintendo or otherwise.

tkscz

Wait. what? Just because Miyamoto said there aren't any games at E3 that he would have wanted to make, doesn't mean he was mocking them. He didn't say they sucked, played bad or whatever. Where you getting that from?

He didn't say the games sucked ass so he didn't want to make them.

Half of GAF is going to take it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom