• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto on E3: 'I saw no games I would have liked to create myself'

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0nn

ITT: not wanting to create a certain game = not liking said game

Anyway, what about Puppeteer, Rain, Tearaway, Project Spark or all the indie games? Many indie games take cues from his own creations anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
Maybe he didn't get to see it.

Seriously most of the interesting stuff (from a game design standpoint) for me was hidden away from the spotlight. Everyone was lapping up the big blockbuster stuff. Obviously it's enough to put some MMO lipstick on a shooter to completely rid themselves of the foul stench of stagnating game design.

To be fair though, NIntendo themselves showed nothing that was breaking new game design ground. So it's weird seeing Miyamoto to call others out for making uninspired stuff.

This whole E3 was an exercise in boring sameness but with MMO features sprinkled in for good measure.
He did actually get to play Tearaway at E3 :) But as someone else mentioned above here, it is fully possible to like and enjoy a game eventhough you didnt wish that you made it yourself.

one_kill

Maybe he didn't get to see it.

Seriously most of the interesting stuff (from a game design standpoint) for me was hidden away from the spotlight. Everyone was lapping up the big blockbuster stuff. Obviously it's enough to put some MMO lipstick on a shooter to completely rid themselves of the foul stench of stagnating game design.

To be fair though, NIntendo themselves showed nothing that was breaking new game design ground. So it's weird seeing Miyamoto to call others out for making uninspired stuff.

This whole E3 was an exercise in boring sameness but with MMO features sprinkled in for good measure.
Where did you get the idea that he wasn't referring to Nintendo games as well? Miyamoto isn't necessarily as involved as he was in designing games. He's probably focused on Pikmin 3, and simply gives his input regarding games that he "supervises".

It amazes me that Nintendo games now have a stigma of "recycling games over and over" as though they are the only ones that do it.

How many New Super Mario Bros are they going to release, why make a new innovative Mario when you can take the 3D Land 3DS game, scale it up, add a few little twists and sell it as a "new" game.

Luigis Mansion, take Gamecube and bring it to 3DS.

Mario Kart, now you can ride on WALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link to the Past Sequel, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3 etc..

I know they aren't all Miyamoto games but he has no room to talk where Nintendo are concerned.

test_account

XP-39C²
It amazes me that Nintendo games now have a stigma of "recycling games over and over" as though they are the only ones that do it.
I think that comes more from the notion that someone baiscally say that Nintendo is the only company that makes new ideas, but Nintendo makes many sequels with smaller ajustments and additions, which is also the case with pretty much every sequel. Nintendo creates very good games i think, but its not like all their games are something brand new regarding gameplay and ideas.

gngf123

Some of the people in this thread make it sound like Miyamoto is an average developer who hasn't made a new IP in 20 years. It's honestly kind of sad considering he is one of the best and most influential developers on the planet.

watershed

Banned
Has Miyamoto ever said what game he would like to have created? I seem to recall something but can't put my finger on it.

To me Miyamoto is basically saying most of the games really didn't appeal to him at E3. I don't think it was a direct bash, but more like what are these games? I would never make anything like that or these aren't the type of games I would envision myself creating. Heh, Witcher 3 and Zelda could share some similarities now that I think about it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Interesting. I sort of get LittleBigPlanet but Angry Birds?
I think it is because Angry Birds is very easy to get into and understand how to play, and it is also fun to play (this is subjective of course, but i could see this being a reason why Miyamoto wish that he made it). The game is also very popular and profitable :)

People reading into this way too much. He has his own way of thinking. He's the greatest game designer ever and yet he does not consider video games to be art.

Again, just because he said he would not make any of these games doesn't mean he thinks they suck.

Anson225

as much as I love all the shooters and the big budget games, I feel like it is healthy for the industry that Miyamoto, or Nintendo in this sense, is creating something purer.

I would be lying if i say I don't miss the old days of local multiplayers with friends coming over just for a whole day of smash bros/ mario kart.

After seeing more prominent titles for Wii U this past week - I gotta say I really do appreciate that Nintendo is still sticking at what they do best, that they simply focus on the fun factor.

I enjoy TLoU as much as most of u, but a good balance is what we need imho!

DSix

Banned
Of course he's not impressed. That's because he's bloody Shigeru Miyamoto.
Most developers are still playing catch-up with game designs he made decades ago. You can't blame him for not being floored by anything.

as much as I love all the shooters and the big budget games, I feel like it is healthy for the industry that Miyamoto, or Nintendo in this sense, is creating something purer.

I would be lying if i say I don't miss the old days of local multiplayers with friends coming over just for a whole day of smash bros/ mario kart.

After seeing more prominent titles for Wii U this past week - I gotta say I really do appreciate that Nintendo is still sticking at what they do best, that they simply focus on the fun factor.

What? Someone actually making sense!

By the way:

6DOpWHU.png

MilesVor

Banned
I think that comes more from the notion that someone baiscally say that Nintendo is the only company that makes new ideas. That is not the case with Nintendo however, they make many sequels with smaller ajustments and additions, but that is the case with pretty much every sequel.

Urgh. People need to think before they claim stuff like that.

For most major franchises, a new game is (more or less in order of importance):
- Updated/new graphics engine
- New story (same as the old one)
- New weapons/models
- New environments/level design
- New multiplayer modes
- New _general_ gimmick (now you can ride mechs!)

For Nintendo and some other devs:
- New level/gameplay mechanics
- New level design
- New _general_ gimmich
- New feel/atmosphere/art style
- New player modes (single and multi)
- Updated/new graphics engine
- New story

I'm sorry, but if I personally had to pick between the two... I prefer Nintendo's priorities.
Who cares if Mario/Link always has to save the princess, the gameplay is ace.
I swear I haven't been able to play 99% of modern AAA games for more than an hour or so, even though the more "mature" art style is a lot more attractive to me usually.
In the end, most games which prioritize the first list = soulless.

Cartman86

Banned
Doubt he saw everything or near enough to judge the show as a whole. Which is fine. One person can only do so much. Just don't be angry if you think he is crazy for not liking something you think he should've liked. Maybe he just didn't see it.

squidyj

pure? lol.

I feel that nintendo games have their place but you're using a word with a lot of baggage there. Not to mention you're representing it in this shooter/dudebro to nintendo/quirky/whimsical binary and it should be obvious that it doesn't work like that. There are more things in heaven and earth...

In the end, most games which prioritize the first list = soulless.

soulless? that's what you wanna go with? kay.

What does this even mean? He's not saying anything that could be considered cocky or condescending.
He is.

He does a lot of leg work in the things that are trending. Plus there was a lot of coverage/exposition of a full range of games from Mega Productions to indie stuff.

It is a trend of him to play ignorant of what the competition is doing, he always reflects that in many interviews through out the years.

This does not rest merits of what he has achieved, it is just a part of his personalitie.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Rayman Legends/Teraway/puppeteer all look like better platformers than anything nintendo has put out in a long long time.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Not really. He has a pretty narrow view of what good games are.

This.

He's good at what he does I suppose, but then again he never tried anything different. Not being too keen on old school Nintendo, I can say that his types of games never did it for me.

My favourite Nintendo games are Zelda Wind Waker, Starfox Adventures, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion (the Gamecube really was a nifty little thing). He was a director of none, only producer.

so...uh I know it's cool and everything to hate on where gaming has been heading, and for the most part it has been getting generic...but WHY THE FUCK IS NINTENDO SCARED TO MAKE MATURE RATED GAMES?

is miyamoto and retro etc. just incapable of making games that go beyond being accessible to all ages? at some point they gotta at least be curious right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom