• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

not another PSN is slow thread but still

jsnepo

So guys I'm trying to isolate the issue. My PSN download speed right now is not getting above 300Kbps though the PS3 network test gives me the correct download rate. It wasn't like this before. No change happened to my network setup. So is PSN just slow today or not?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PSN is always slow. ALWAYS.

Not for everyone. I consistently get at least 2-3 MB/s from PSN (which is not exactly great given my 100 Mbps connection, but it's acceptable), sometimes more, so your blanket statement does not necessarily explain the issues the OP is having.

But yeah, it certainly could simply be that you're connected to a bad PSN server, in which case there's not much you can do. Some people get good/great speeds from PSN, others get pathetic speeds, it all depends on where you live and what server you get connected to I believe. It's a shame they can't make the experience good for everyone, but hopefully things will improve with the enhanced network they claim to be creating for the PS4.

Hystzen

My download speed is fine just the store is fucking slow as shit

Sometimes pause download then restart console sorts out the download speed I find

PSN is always slow for me, even though I use the same connection I use to get pretty damn fast downloads for Xbox 360.

Dat online infrastructure.

Avallon

Not for everyone. I consistently get at least 2-3 MB/s from PSN (which is not exactly great given my 100 Mbps connection, but it's acceptable), sometimes more, so your blanket statement does not necessarily explain the issues the OP is having.

But yeah, it certainly could simply be that you're connected to a bad PSN server, in which case there's not much you can do. Some people get good/great speeds from PSN, others get pathetic speeds, it all depends on where you live and what server you get connected to I believe.

Nope. It's always been super fast for me.
My download speedtest score is a consistent 60Mbps and Steam downloads at 7 MBps. My PS3 takes 60 seconds to download a free, 100kb file.

jsnepo

I did try to download using the program that sets your PC as a proxy and the download rate was fine. If I download using the PS3, the rate is slow. I doubt it's the PS3 hardware because Netflix and Youtube work fine. Also like I said, the network test gives out the correct rate. This issue is starting to get weird. I'll try to reset my router and modem and see if there will be a difference.

SSFIV is 18GB.

raphanum

I think the variable in download speed has more to do with the PS3 UI and hardware then it does with Sony's online infrastructure.

Damn, that's terrible.

Someone posted a fix not too long ago, not sure if anyone remembers it. I think it was MetalMurphy, although I may be mistaken...

My download speedtest score is a consistent 60Mbps and Steam downloads at 7 MB/s. My PS3 takes 60 seconds to download a free, 100kb file.
What? I live in Australia which is possibly the shittest country for broadband speed in the western world, I was on a 1.5Mbps connection up until March when it was finally upgraded to 25Mbps. I still manage to download at about 1MB per second or slightly faster depending on the time and day. The inconsistency with the PSN is staggering.

ultron87

The worst part is when you're downloading something and then it is finally done and you're like "yay I can play my thing" and then it flips over to an install bar and arrrggghhh.

ThisOne

Sometimes pause download then restart console sorts out the download speed I find

I have found this to be true especially when using a wifi connection. My download will be going along at about 1 MB/sec and then it will slow down. I pause the download and restart the console and then the download starts going quick again. Can be really annoying.

Avallon

What? I live in Australia which is possibly the shittest country for broadband speed in the western world, I was on a 1.5Mbps connection up until March when it was finally upgraded to 25Mbps. I still manage to download at about 1MB per second or slightly faster depending on the time and day. The inconsistency with the PSN is staggering.

I agree. I also feel like it has gotten much worse with the store overhaul.

jsnepo

I can't believe it. This actually works. My download rate is back to normal.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Is there a way to tell what speed your PS3 is downloading at?

I can tell through my router. It's GUI has a bandwidth monitoring page that refreshes every second.

Is there a way to tell what speed your PS3 is downloading at?

How fast can you count?

Set up a proxy on a PC and have the PS3 connect to it then monitor the bandwidth on that PC

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek....

1mbps download is not fast when we're talking about 1.7gig files.

What planet do you live in where our weak earthly seconds are the same as 3-4 on yours?

I get 8-9

Ghazi

PSN isn't slow for me, I downloaded 15GB worth of games today after a format in about 2 hours. It's never been slow for me, Xbox Live is actually slower for me compared to PSN because it took it about an hour to download the 2GB CoD map pack that came out today.

Gadirok

For me Vita downloads (games/demo/patches) are fast but PS3 downloads are super slow.

I'm in the same boat.

Vita downloads are lightning fast. Given that PS4 isin't BC digitally, I hope they change the entire infrastructure. I have had slowdowns on some surprisingly small things.

In rare cases, games download abnormally fast though. Like during June 2012 for the inception of the instant game collection, I downloaded about 80gb over the course of a day and a half.

akaoni

Banned
I've not listened to the audio (hurrah work pc) but what is his download speed cap?

"Yo dawgs, B dawg here. This is for all the dawgs that say "PSN downloads are slow dawg". What I got to say to you dawg is get a better connection dawg cause look at this thing fly. Awww yeah, look at that dawg that has gotta be better than a megabyte a second dawg. So it's not PSN's problem dawgs, it'ss your problem dawg. Awwww yeah..." *Mass Effect fan and stuff more vids* "Peace out dawg. uuuuuuu yeaaahhh".

He didn't say.

Gigarator

Just to prove a point...
hUJzfh3.jpg

Persona7

Banned
It totally depends on your location and what servers you are connecting to. Sony also throttles the connection as far as I can tell.

Me, for example. I live in California and my connection speeds to PSN are absolutely abysmal. My download speed is 80Mbps. My ISP monitored my connection for 24 hours and had me download a bunch of stuff off of PSN and the network engineer told me that the sony servers are definitely the problem.

Every other service caps out my connection speed except for Steam every now and then.

Seth

I had an old fat 80gb ps3 and PSN was very slow in it over wireless. On a wired connection it was slow, but not nearly as bad as wireless. Recently I bought one of the new super slims and over wireless I no longer have a problem with psn downloads being slow. The actual store, the app, is still really laggy but i don't think thats an internet connection issue.

Lyonaz

Huh I thought it has gotten faster, the GT6 Academy demo was done in like 2-3min today and that was 1GB or something.

kbozz71

Banned
Always slow here. Doesn't matter if I go wired or wireless. Took over 4 hours to download Saints Row the 3rd last night. That's on a 15mbps connection.

kairu

When I had my PS3 on wireless it would go slow. Wired I download like a meg a second if not higher.

Top Bottom