• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

not another PSN is slow thread but still

Gaming over wireless is fine. Downloading over wireless is problematic. Wired solved all my PSN speed issues. Must be the wifi controller.

Arklite

From my experience, PSN speeds are completely inconsistent. It might be slower today, it might be faster tomorrow. Latency issues are very normal, sadly.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ni No Kuni took nearly 24 hours to fully download for me in February.

I snagged Crysis 1, Divinity 2, Borderlands 2(and newest 2gb DLC), Dragon Age Origins, and Defense Grid all in a few hours last night over XBL.

Dafuq?

One of my biggest concerns with PS4 vs. Xbone next gen. MS made it clear at the announcement conference how they were exponentially growing their server infrastructure and count for the next-gen(mostly due to DRM stuff certainly at the time), but it does bode promising for maintaining strong DL speeds possibly for those of us desiring a digital only future.

Izick

Yes, it has always been slow for me too. Since PSN is going to be a paid service on PS4, they really need to step up the download speeds and stability. I'm more than fine with paying if the service is good enough to justify it.

Mrcapcom

Yea Wifi sucks as far as downloading on my ps3 wired is bad.
I just recently moved my PS3 to a new spot and for got this when downloading. Left on all night and alot got done but man it was slow. Now I gotta buy a switch for the room since I only have one ethernet drop there smh

plc268

Wireless on both my fat and superslim ps3 is very slow. If I go wired, I get about 1 MB/s, which is half the speed of what I normally download at. So, either way it's slow for me. I know there's some router settings you can change to speed it up, but the PS3 is literally the only device I have that experiences a slow connection like that, so I don't bother.

Withnail

Sony doesn't run its own servers for PSN content delivery btw. It's hosted by Akamai which is a very respected hosting company. Akamai also hosts content for Apple and other big companies.

There are lots of reasons for slow downloads but bad servers isn't one of them. The main problem seems to be that the network hardware in the PS3 is not perfect and it just doesn't play nicely with some routers.

Yeah I also get very slow speeds on PSN... I live in Brazil and have a 10mb internet speed and it takes ages to download a 60mb patch on PSN. I know thats way faster on Xbox Live and it seems my speed there is normal and I can download at 1mb/s.

Groof

I'm also one that gets reeeeeally poor speeds from my PS3. It took me two and a half (!) days to download Infamous 2, and I'm sitting on a 100Mbps connection. I've opened up ports on my router to try and make it quicker, which seemed to help ever so slightly, but not nearly enough.
Might have to look into that PC proxy trick some more, because it's just horrible downloading some games.

Fruitster

PSN is fine with a wired connection for me. Downloads are fast (not quite on 360 speeds however) and gaming works fine. The store is laggy as hell, but that's likely my PS3. Wirelessly though, it's close to broken. Download speeds are slow or simply stop, drops from online. I just chalked it down to the PS3 being an old phat model. I've read often that they are troublesome with wireless. No idea how the slim models behave in comparison.

Celegus

Mine is almost always slow, and likes to cut in and out (have to disable media servers to download patches). I really wish I could just do it wired, but it's not feasible for my apartment. Really hope PS4 is better about this stuff.

NinjaBoiX

I'm watching Four Rooms on 4OD on my PS3. It took about three or four minutes from the XMB to get it playing, (no joke). It took an age to boot the homepage, then waiting and navigating the menu's took far too long too. What's with these extra layers and stuff slowing it down?

The Xbox app is fine, Dash > pins > 4OD > search "F" > Four Rooms = done. 30 seconds, a minute max.

S'all I'm saying.

using a 80gb software BC PS3 it took 4 hours to download Hotline Miami (500 mb) over Wifi. On my pc over the same wi-fi onnection that would take minutes.

I need to get this shit sorted in order to take advantage of PS+

FeiRR

Banned
It's not Steam-fast but no problem with PSN here.
HLFUQRe.jpg

madmackem

Wired here and speeds are insanely fast, i always find it strange when i see these threads as my speeds with psn over wired couldnt be any better.

To me, most of the times PSN is fast. But sometimes, it's slow and when it is, it's really bad. Like when i rent a movie and stream it, very often it buffers... I would say overall that PSN is unstable or maybe it depends where you live.

Xbox Live on the other hand is very stable and the downloads are damn fast ! I very rarely had problems with Live.

Korezo

My psn speed is faster than the ps3s install speed. But the ps store is super slow and terrible ever since new design. Also if you background dl while playing a game your dl speed slows down like 80%. And if you background dl and installing something else it'll take for ever to install.

jsnepo

I thought my predicament is resolved. I left my download overnight just to see that it didn't even add at least 2GB. WTH is this?!

RedAssedApe

Banned
has always been slow for me. takes a full day to download most full retail game downloads. Don't think I've ever gotten anything higher than 2Mbps (I'm provisioned for 15Mbps) regardless if its wired, wireless, router, or directly to cable modem. My friends on other services like FiOS experience the same. Definitely some bandwidth caps going on here.

for those of you claiming fast speeds what region are you in?

snap0212

PSN is always faster for me than Xbox Live, for example. I get around 4MB/s usually, which is decent. On Xbox Live I don't get more than maybe 3 on a good day. The speed test on the console has never been good, it always shows speeds way lower than my Internet connection or the actual download speed. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 15 mbps on there. XBL downloads have been especially slow recently, not sure why that is.

Here's a link I posted a while ago: http://youtu.be/--udhHXfFUw

If your download is slow try these things:
- use a wired connection
- don't use background download if you don't have to (speeds things up for me quite a bit)
- if slow then pause the download and start it again; sometimes it then picks the data from a different and faster server

Few factoids:

- Download speed is always better when the system is auto-downloading, sometimes ridiculously so.
- Vita downloads are great, so high hopes for PS4

wavtor

Neo Member
My psn connection speed is not slow at all I have 120mb/s internet and I could download uncharted 3 the other day in about 1hour 20 mins and that game is like 60gb or more

Those people that are having slow psn downloads should check there listening ports and that they are not being traffic managed by there IP also if your internet is through you phone line you wanna check how close your nearest exchange is

Am on cable fibre optic and I have next to no slow down what so ever only time I notice any slow down is if am being traffic managed

Mine regularly hits my 5.0MB/s download speed.

It's undoubtedly an issue, but it isn't everyone always.

My connection in South Florida (two different cities) pretty fast. Connected to PSN in LA, was horribly slow. I have no idea what it is, but probably issues are location based.

vazel

Banned
I get good speeds on PSN. PSN doesn't consistently max out my fios connection(7MB/s) but I'm still happy with the speeds I get.

This is me downloading the Spartacus game in 7 minutes.
7IANT5D.png

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Gaming over wireless is fine. Downloading over wireless is problematic. Wired solved all my PSN speed issues. Must be the wifi controller.

No bullshit I'm wifi right now, started BF3 last night at nine, by eleven it was installing. Were it wired I wouldn't bat an eyelash, but 12 gigs in 2 hours on wireless is not too shabby. I've never seen psn be slow once in the last 5 years..

Hyun Sai

I got both 360 and PS3 wired, and I'm always baffled how slow is my downloading on the PS3.

Hopefully it will change for the PS4.

lynux3

Probably a bottleneck in one of the ISPs. Routes change all the time. It's too bad you can do a simple traceroute to see where the bottleneck is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No bottleneck here. PSN is super fast for me as is XBL.

The WiiU is the one which I still have problems with. The downloads are obscenely slow for me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I went with wired, I'm usually getting something a little above 1mb a second. Sometimes it seems to depend on what I'm downloading. Yesterday was super slow, I suspect there were a lot of people trying to hit up the Battlefield 3 offer.

Romir

Using different DNS servers will connect you to different content delivery network locations. Try OpenDNS's: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and Google's: 8.8.8.8 8.8.8.4.

If something is going really slow, pause it and resume. You'll probably get connect to another download cycle. They cycle VERY quickly.

I get stuck with 100 KB/s all the time, its my only PS4 hesitation...

kvn

Don't know if this is the right thread, but I had to update the PS Store yesterday to 1.06 or whatever and know it's COMPLETELY broken.

I mean it was slow and sluggish before, but it worked at least. Now it doesn't even load any information half the time. For instance, if I select a demo, it doesn't load any related info such as screenshots or description or whatever and even the download button doesn't appear. It took me like 10 tries to download the GT 6 demo. What a load of fucking crap this store is. I'm okay with the design, but jesus this thing is broken from a technical point of view.

edit: yeah I know "use the webstore", but that's not the point.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Don't know if this is the right thread, but I had to update the PS Store yesterday to 1.06 or whatever and know it's COMPLETELY broken.

I mean it was slow and sluggish before, but it worked at least. Now it doesn't even load any information half the time. For instance, if I select a demo, it doesn't load any related info such as screenshots or description or whatever and even the download button doesn't appear. It took me like 10 tries to download the GT 6 demo. What a load of fucking crap this store is. I'm okay with the design, but jesus this thing is broken from a technical point of view.

edit: yeah I know "use the webstore", but that's not the point.

I grabbed the same patch last night to grab bf3 and experenced none of those issues. Jumped on this morning as well, seemed fine.

Rashid

Banned
I have a wireless connection from my ps3 to my network and have a connection of around 8-10mb or 1-1.5MB. I downloaded the GT Academy 2013 earlier and it downloaded at roughly that rate.

Withnail

Using different DNS servers will connect you to different content delivery network locations. Try OpenDNS's: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and Google's: 8.8.8.8 8.8.8.4.

If something is going really slow, pause it and resume. You'll probably get connect to another download cycle. They cycle VERY quickly.

I get stuck with 100 KB/s all the time, its my only PS4 hesitation...

Unless you happen to live near Google's or OpenDNS servers then this isn't a smart thing to do. The best bet is to use the DNS servers provided by your ISP, because it's more likely to connect you to your nearest content server. I suspect this is a reason for many people getting slow downloads.

For instance this

My connection in South Florida (two different cities) pretty fast. Connected to PSN in LA, was horribly slow. I have no idea what it is, but probably issues are location based.

sounds like it could be a DNS issue, causing him to connect to Florida content servers when he moved to LA.

This will also be an issue for non-US people using special DNS services to get around Netflix region locking.

gogogow

Don't know what Sony did, but since they introduced the new PSN store, the entire PS3 is slow as fuck or just buggy as hell. Deleting a demo takes ages, deleting a friend request, it totally keeps doing the "busy rotating icon" forever, forcing you to reset the console.

PSN is slow for me over WiFi on my fat PS3. I've got a 100mbps down connection, PSN downloads a hair faster than 125kb/sec. XBox on the same network, right next to it, is 1.0 - 1.5mbps.

Top Bottom