• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: "Next tablets/phones will have nearly 360/PS3 capabilities in terms of graphics"

“In the near future, the next wave of tablets and phones will have nearly Xbox 360 or PS3 capabilities in terms of graphics,” Gibeau told IGN. “Some of our engine technology that used to be console-specific now can, with modifications, be able to power games on tablets and on phones in the near future. We’re just getting ready for that.”

“You have to redesign the game,” he explained. “You can’t just bring it over and have a virtual D-pad on the tablet. It doesn’t work. You have to re-architect it around touch, voice, camera. Our teams are having a lot of fun with that, reimagining an experience on a tablet using the same graphics and assets in some ways, but completely remixing the meal. Same ingredients, completely different meal. That’s kind of the way we think about it.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...lity-graphics?abthid=51d48979a1123db85c000016

I hate stupid hyperbole like that. If they really had that much power then you'd burn your lap from the heat and the battery would last 20 minutes.

KingFire

Banned
I hate stupid hyperbole like that. If they really had that much power then you'd burn your lap from the heat and the battery would last 20 minutes.

Things get smaller and better. I fully expect tablets to reach the power levels of X360/PS3. Maybe not next gen tablets, but it will happen.

velociraptor

So why is it that laptops still have such awful GPUs?

I had hoped this tablet technology would have transferred favourably for ultrabook laptops.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Considering the Galaxy Note is rumored to have 3GB of RAM, this is kinda plausible

(And yes, I know ram doesnt equal power)

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Now add 360/ps3 capable controls.

damn!

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

This is by far the biggest danger to the ps4 and Xbox one.

Slow adoption to next gen is a dangerous and slippery slope.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

PowerVR 6 scales from 100 GFLOPS ~ 1 TFLOP architecturally, though I imagine the first line of chips will come in much, much closer to the bottom of that range.

That said, at 250 GFLOPS you are talking 360 power, so even if you're poly starved in comparison for wattage reasons, you can do a lot of raw calculation.

Things get smaller and better. I fully expect tablets to reach the power levels of X360/PS3. Maybe not next gen tablets, but it will happen.

battery tech hasn't kept up with the improvements in cpus and gpus, that was his point. "more powerful" just means those same old batteries generate more heat and die faster.

Cutebrute

I hope this does not mean that publishers are about to bring their excesses and failures to mobile gaming: the long dev cycles and costs, lack of innovation, and the risks to game development studios can stay on consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
battery tech hasn't kept up with the improvements in cpus and gpus, that was his point. "more powerful" just means those same old batteries generate more heat and due faster.

The solution to this has been targeted from the other end however, namely, the power draw of the actual chips has been notable lowered, thus raising the performance/watt.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
'Next gen' tablets / phones will start using IGZO displays more which will help with battery life.

This is by far the biggest danger to the ps4 and Xbox one.

Slow adoption to next gen is a dangerous and slippery slope.

Until a phone can play a high end game of that caliber (PS3 / 360) without running out of battery power quickly (without power cord) then we can talk.

Battery life is clearly not ahead of the curve right now.

But not everybody with an iphone will want to buy games?

doesn't matter. if 5 percent of the total user base buys a game, it's still wildly more successful than a Wii or vita title that appeals to 90 percent of the platform. and 90 percent is a fantasy. even the best selling games are rarely bought by more than 10 or 15 percent.

milsorgen

Banned
So why is it that laptops still have such awful GPUs?

I had hoped this tablet technology would have transferred favourably for ultrabook laptops.

I don't know about all that, I really wouldn't consider the HD 4000 an awful GPU. I think it's a good baseline level for laptop gfx. Sure it would be great to have better (or cooler) performing options but the hardware in a modern decent quality laptops is pretty good these days and fairly well balanced between work and play. In my opinions and experiences of course.

Jaagen

Considering the Galaxy Note is rumored to have 3GB of RAM, this is kinda plausible

(And yes, I know ram doesnt equal power)

Isn't there a per-app limit on how much RAM each app can use on Android? It is/was on iOS if I'm not mistaken?

kadotsu

Banned
Can the tablet market support games with PS3/360 level assets, especially if they are not subsidized by a console release? I know some games make a ridiculous amount of revenue but from a risk management perspective the app market still looks like a slightly weighted lottery to me.

Kainazzo

battery tech hasn't kept up with the improvements in cpus and gpus, that was his point. "more powerful" just means those same old batteries generate more heat and die faster.

Battery tech doesn't necessarily have to. As components shrink, generate less heat, and draw less power, I don't see why we can't even see something as powerful as the PS4, but only using ~20 watts, by the end of the decade.

When do you think a mobile device, using current battery tech, will match the 360/PS3, but also last for ~6 hours on a single charge? I'm not implying you're one of them, but I see people claiming that mobile devices will never, ever match a 360, even 30 years from now. What do you think the wait will be?

What a dumb statement... future phones will have *nearly* ps3/360 power.

Nearly? What does that mean, exactly? Like very, very close... or pretty shitty but able to run really toned down versions of engines.

Is the vita nearly the power of a ps3? Doesn't seem like it to me. But does it to them?

Jaagen

My biggest problem with gaming on a smartphone/tablet is that there's no standardized wireless game controller that works with everything. The closest thing is perhaps the MOGA.

velociraptor

I don't know about all that, I really wouldn't consider the HD 4000 an awful GPU. I think it's a good baseline level for laptop gfx. Sure it would be great to have better (or cooler) performing options but the hardware in a modern decent quality laptops is pretty good these days and fairly well balanced between work and play. In my opinions and experiences of course.

I'll be happy if I can play PS3/360 level graphics on my laptop. Basically, PC ports at 720p medium graphics.

Rashid

Banned
It's just that no developer will bother making games look as good. Blow any mobile console-copycat game like Modern Combat on a big screen and it looks like crap

Yup. If not the next GPU series, then definitely the one after that. PowerVR's Rogue is supposed to almost hit PS360 levels already.

Damian.

Banned
Some tablet games are already ahead of the current gen, imo. 60fps and high resolutions go a long way with me, and a lot of the most advanced tablet games are very clean looking and run silky smooth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What a dumb statement... future phones will have *nearly* ps3/360 power.

Nearly? What does that mean, exactly? Like very, very close... or pretty shitty but able to run really toned down versions of engines.

Is the vita nearly the power of a ps3? Doesn't seem like it to me. But does it to them?

Well, here's PowerVR5:

devkit-20130508-0358-noscale.jpg

We're talking about PowerVR6 for what EA is referring to.

There will obviously be a difference, but how many mobile gamers will notice (at least from a visual quality perspective, since obviously the game design will be way different) I feel is an open question.

And yet they'll still have terrible control methods and battery lifespans that make them completely unsuitable for anything more than flash in the pan 5-minute bus gaming.

So really, nothing will change.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a side note, for this kind of gaming devs are generally targeting tablets over phones, so the battery life is a bit more lax there.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And controls that are put to shame by a 1980's console.

On a serious note I think the race-to-the-bottom mentality of pricing for phone/IOS games is going to prevent a lot of "real" games from being made.

Top Bottom