• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: "Next tablets/phones will have nearly 360/PS3 capabilities in terms of graphics"

will they need a different kind of battery to power the phones, otherwise you'd only be able to play properly with the charger plugged in?

I see the bu-bu-bu-bu-controlz! Crowd are already out in force.

Warhammer Quest on my iPhone and Baldur's Gate on my iPad clearly demonstrate that touchscreen gaming can be as challenging and complex as console games with an entirely touch interface, and unless Firaxis screw it up XCOM has the potential to play better on iPad than it does on 360 or PS3.

Well xcom is already out and its brilliant. And thats me playing it on my iphone. Can only be better on an ipad.

mantidor

They still don't get it, graphics have always been pretty irrelevant in mobile gaming, controls, battery life, and of course, more important above all, GAMES are what's important. Nintendo is the undisputed champion of mobile gaming, shouldn't they take a hint from them?
with the rare exceptions, Nintendo doesn't just take a console game and port it to their handhelds.

Donnie

notice I was talking about the wiiu, not the wii. the wiiu doesn't have anywhere near 90 million, nor will it.

but let's assume we WERE talking about the Wii. that platform is dead.neglected for years. owners have moved on. a fraction of that 90 million are still buying games. the ps1 sold 100 million units, should EA assume the user base for it is still 100 million?

Well you did say Wii to be fair, considering its a theoretical argument I didn't think twice about that.

Anyway on the subject of dead/neglected devices how many of the phones out there do you think are actually currently in use or even capable of playing games? I was quite generous by assuming the entire world had a smartphone and the inclination to play mobile games, quite generous is an understatement. But lets say half the world have smart phones and half of those may possibly consider buying a game (still very unrealistically generous). 1875 Million people, so 5% of those buy a game for $1, which gives us $93,750,000 in revenue. WiiU's current userbase is only 3.3 million AFAIR (?). 90% would be 2,970,000 people, at $50 per game that's $148,500,000.

Obviously all of this means very little, I'm only pointing out that your claims were a bit over the top IMO.

your example also displays ignorance of how the mobile market works. games may be sold for a dollar or even free, but the majority of revenue is gained not through the purchase price, but microtransactions. Games like Smurf village make FAR more money than the average AAA game with next to no investment. microtransactions work SO well that EA is trying to shoehorn them into their console games now.... take a look at dead space 3 for a good (or bad) example of pay to win becoming more common.

in short: your example is off base and wildly inaccurate

EA are using micro transactions in console games because its an extra way to make money, not because of a fantasy you had that smurt village made much more money than the average console AAA game, which is another absolutely ludicrous claim on your behalf.

Whats it good for having such advanced graphics on a tablet or phone? The controlls suck and non of the phone / tablet makers is going to change this in the near future because they dont care about it.

Well you did say Wii to be fair, considering its a theoretical argument I didn't think twice about that.

in context, it was very clear I was speaking about the WiiU and the Vita, since that's the question I was responding to- "why aren't these games on WiiU and Vita."

Anyway on the subject of dead/neglected devices how many of the phones out there do you think are actually currently in use or even capable of playing games? I was quite generous by assuming the entire world had a smartphone and the inclination to play mobile games, quite generous is an understatement. But lets realistically say half the world have smart phones and half of those may possibly consider buying a game (still pretty generous). 1875 Million people, so 5% of those buy a game for $1, which gives us $93,750,000 in revenue. WiiU's current userbase is only 3.3 million AFAIR (?). 90% would be 2,970,000 people, at $50 per game that's $148,500,000.

Obviously all of this means very little, I'm only pointing out that your claims were a bit over the top IMO.

There's a ton that are capable, since smartphone games aren't all that device intensive.
Your AVERAGE smartphone from 3 years ago can play most games just fine. But let's assume we're just talking new phones capable of high end smartphone gaming.

last year the Iphone 5 sold 27 million units. the Iphone 4s sold 17 million. The Galaxy S3 shipped 15 million units. in just one quarter. (Q4). This ignores other handsets by sony, HTC, Motorola, or older variants like the iphone 4 that could still most likely play these games. Overall, smartphone sales for the year Were 217 million. This is just new handsets, not existing ones on the market, and smartphones have a typical turnover of 2-3 years. There will constantly be people buying new ones, unlike consoles.

The potential userbase for ios and android market in a single year dwarf the LIFETIME userbase of D-list consoles like the WiiU and Vita by several orders of magnitude.

ShinKagato

Neo Member
battery tech hasn't kept up with the improvements in cpus and gpus, that was his point. "more powerful" just means those same old batteries generate more heat and die faster.

This is where the whole arguement falls apart, we have been stuck with the same decades old battery tech throughout mobile phones and consoles for way too long. The batteries change shape and length but its still light years behind and any gaming tablet, laptop or mobile device will suffer for it until we find a way around it.

You would be hard pressed these days to find a mobile phone that dosent require a charge every day now, and my 3DS is lucky if it sees two days with only limited play, between my girlfriend, stepson and myself we have use up just about every wall socket in the house with the vampiric little things sucking away on the power every night. We need something else before any of this becomes viable.

LukeTim

None of these chips are "out" until they're in a smart phone. They may all be out as in available to license for a product, but it takes time before they start showing their faces on retail shelves.

Also mobile chips have been getting faster at such a rate because for so many years its was an area left behind. Companies would focus on PC's and consoles and only a few would spend any time on mobile GPU's. With handheld devices exploding in popularity more and more companies started spending development money and time on mobile parts. ARM/PowerVR being one of the main companies to start pushing things forward. However there will come a time when mobile parts really start to catch up a bit and people expecting the rate of improvement to continue will find to their suprise that it'll slow down to the kind of rate we see in the desktop space.

ARM is not the same company as PowerVR.

In fact, PowerVR isn't a company, it's a brand. The company that owns the PowerVR IP, my employer, is called Imagination Technologies... www.imgtec.com.

ARM and Imagination Technologies are in fact direct competitors. Especially after IMG's acquisition of MIPS earlier this year. ARM has its own GPU tech called Mali.

EA are using micro transactions in console games because its an extra way to make money, not because of a fantasy you had that smurt village made much more money than the average console AAA game, which is another absolutely ludicrous claim on your behalf.

Fantasy? Let's examine this a little bit.

Most digital revenue comes from in app purchases for mobile, NOT the purchase price.

This article gives the figure at about 75% of the revenue for mobile titles is coming from in-app purchases. so on average for every dollar spent buying the title, another 3 are made from microtransactions. This isn't fantasy, this is reality. For mobile, this isn't "extra" revenue, it IS the revenue.

As for smurf village in particular- http://www.gamesradar.com/what-smurf-has-been-making-capcom-money-hint-its-smurfs/

The company's best earner hasn't been any of the sectors making the titles you probably know it for: it's the Mobile Content division, which posted an 89% total revenue gain. Capcom attributes much of Mobile Content's ¥2.58 billion ($33.93 million) earnings to The Smurfs Village, calling this the “driving force” of its overall financial results.

This game has been earning capcom money hand over fist since 2010, almost entirely through in app purchases. It's profitability totally eclipses everything but the absolute top tier AAA console games. Mobile is making 33 million per quarter, with smurf's village responsible for "most" of it.

edit: here's a more up to date quote:

The company’s Beeline brand also continued to do well, having now passed 65 million downloads, up from the 56 million downloads Capcom reported in Q4 2011. The unit has been extremely successful turning well-known brands into some of the most popular (and profitable) titles on iOS and Android — particularly its flagship title Smurfs Village, which still accounts for most of Beeline’s 65 million downloads. Capcom reports both Smurfs Village and Snoopy’s Street Fair have brought the company steady fees.

Capcom’s mobile content sales hit 2.9 billion yen ($37.1 million) during Q1, an increase of 141.6 percent over Q1 2011’s 1.2 billion yen in sales. Overall, Capcom is predicting mobile content sales to hit 12.0 billion yen ($153.5 million) for its 2012/2013 fiscal year.

http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2012/07/30/capcoms-q1-net-income-up-290-y-over-y-to-16-6m/

alexpark99

Neo Member
Lets get one thing straight here - Smartphones / tablets do not pose a threat to consoles they never will, it's a different market. Even if in the future and we are talking a while off here if the tablets reached ps4 quality graphics - who cares??? your still stuck on a small screen with poor sound and clunky controls ok you may be able to connect it to your tv and buy a controller but isn't that then just defeating the point of a mobile tablet who wants to faff about with all that, just get a console!

yogloo

The short sighted closed minded people in this thread truly annoys me to no end. Those spouting bad control bad control are pretty idiotic.

Lets get one thing straight here - Smartphones / tablets do not pose a threat to consoles they never will, it's a different market. Even if in the future and we are talking a while off here if the tablets reached ps4 quality graphics - who cares??? your still stuck on a small screen with poor sound and clunky controls ok you may be able to connect it to your tv and buy a controller but isn't that then just defeating the point of a mobile tablet who wants to faff about with all that, just get a console!

Computer technology advances at a rapid pace. Research is heavily devoted to shrinking our computing power. There is only so much they can shrink, and only so fast they can make things... but this is the direction of computing.

Computing devices will be ubiquitous all over the world. No one needs to be beholden to any one particular platformer holder anymore. Consoles may still exist... but they may not be "consoles."

Eventually you will get a PC that is the size of a console, can be upgraded and more powerful than the PS4, easily fitting in your TV stand. Where is your console overlord now?

Whether iOS or android tablets reach the level of accessibility for money-spending gamers is not the issue. Somewhere, there will be new devices that offer the experience worth paying for. And it will be difficult to keep that experience exclusive or unique to that manufacturer.

That's Nintendo's current problem. Computing devices are ubiquitous now.

Z3M0G

An iPhone, with official controller support, capable of outputting to a TV, is a pretty crazy prospect... I can't see how that couldn't take a serious bite out of the current console market...

numble

Android has this for years. Dosnt mean anything.
Android doesn't have standardized controls. The API for controllers has 26 available buttons, including "generic gamepad button #1-16.“ The iOS API has strict limits on what a controller should have, and the controllers are approved through their MFi program.

they want to make games for tablets that people actually buy.

It's not a bad idea in theory, but it remains to be seen where game consumers will be spending their money.

I'm sure that there will ultimately be a platform that is accessible enough for them to decide to start spending money the same as consoles, but I don't know if it's iOS or Android, in their current forms, or not.

And whatever that platform will be, down the road, it will be something that other manufacturers will be able to copy. So yeah, the strategy of putting your games on all platforms is important and Nintendo making their own hardware is just them accepting to play in a smaller pool.

They still need to find the budget for those games. Cell phone users won't pay $30.00 a game.

If you told the PC FPS players of the 90s that in a decade, MS would start charging people to play these games online and people would pay by the masses...

numble

The massive majority of mobile phone games make an absolute pitance even compared to low selling third party WiiU titles. Even the most successful mobile phone game of all time made a small fraction of good selling console titles.

You can see how much EA has made on mobile vs nintendo/sony handhelds and vs Wii (in millions):
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...5d-de612bcbbc61/EA_News_2013_1_30_General.pdf
Code:
                         Q3 Q4 Q2 Q1 Q3
Mobile                   70 87 69 75 86 
Wii                      49 20  8 17 20
PlayStation Handhelds    14  6 10 14 15
Nintendo Handhelds       15  5  9  8  9

'The massive majority' aren't relevant. I'd bet that Real Racing 3 and Simpsons: Tapped Out have made more money for EA than any of their Wii-U titles, if not all of 'em combined.
Tapped Out had $23 million in revenue last quarter, more than the total revenue from Wii or Nintendo/Sony handhelds (listed above).
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=736891

alexpark99

Neo Member
The short sighted closed minded people in this thread truly annoys me to no end. Those spouting bad control bad control are pretty idiotic.

Mobile devices are actually easier to control in specific games such as tetris, doodle jump, tile games etc.. but when I mention clunky controls I'm specifically referring to first or third person games there's simply no substitute for a joypad or mouse / keyboard combo

JordanN

Banned
Meh, I find mobile tech disappointing since it takes forever to make any significant gains.

One of the reasons I don't like Vita. It's too weak for what it claims to be.

Swifty

Phones and tablets will suffer the same issues with PC development, namely the driver overhead when using a widely used graphics library like OpenGL. As good as OpenGL ES is, it'll never be good as the laser focused graphics drivers found in the consoles. PC gaming can get over this because they're upgradable and there's a large market for enthusiast parts. Phones and tablets are tied to vendor locked hardware and are going to forever be one step behind consoles and PCs.

Is it like that time where nVidia had BF3 running on a tablet, but it looked like donkey shit and ran at 10fps?

I'm sure batteries are capable of this stuff too...

Darklord

Banned

There are a lot of factors why it's pointless. Ignoring the controls, the user base, pricing structure, and just the way people play games on tablets and phones are totally different to home consoles. Great, let's make a $20,000,000 game, sell it for $2.99 and dump a shit ton of pay 2 win stuff in it. No thanks. Tablets and phones are NEVER going to take over home consoles. They may one day replace them but never fill that same gap.

Croyles

Hasn't battery technology hardly advanced in the last 10 years?
I imagine this to be irrelevant unless some sort of battery technology breakthrough happens soon (seems there is research on silicon), which I hope it does, because despite power usage becoming smaller relative to the increase in performance, battery life on these devices stays the same or shrinks, which I hate regardless of gaming.

EDIT: seems like everyone has already said the same. :)

quickwhips

I think the tablet will be close to 360 as x1 is to ps4 on paper so there will be gapsbut games will look similiar.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nvidia is a cluster fuck and a half with their mobile shit.

That being said I'd be lying if I said I'm not intrigued by the Tegra 5 since it is suppose to be the first Tegra chip based off their desktop arch.

2015 is the year I have currently pegged where mobile graphics really hit a high level.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I remember getting the Game Gear as a gift with it's advance technology, colour graphics, better framerate, etc. Such fun. I never played it outside of the house though because it always required being plugged in.

I look forward to advancements in technology and graphics of course, but I dislike the idea I'll start having to consider and ration certain games due to battery life with ever increasing amount of drain they have for when I travel.

Croyles

Regardless of gaming on phones/tables (which personally I will probably never like) we ALL want better battery life on these devices.

As battery technology is hardly advancing (the research being done at the moment is looking to make them last 25-45% longer, which is nothing considering a phone doesn't even last 24 hours nowadays), we have to look at all the individual chips, cpus, gpus and antennas to use less power. Though the increase in performance often levels this out and in the end we will still be stuck with 24hour> battery life in the next few years.

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/01...battery-life-still-stinks-and-will-for-years/

PFD

I see the bu-bu-bu-bu-controlz! Crowd are already out in force.

Warhammer Quest on my iPhone and Baldur's Gate on my iPad clearly demonstrate that touchscreen gaming can be as challenging and complex as console games with an entirely touch interface, and unless Firaxis screw it up XCOM has the potential to play better on iPad than it does on 360 or PS3.

XCOM did come out, and it's a great port!

And what's with all the battery comments? Have you guys ever heard of performance/watt?

Meh, I find mobile tech disappointing since it takes forever to make any significant gains.

You can't be serious. The iPhone has doubled (sometimes more) its performance every year. On what other platform do you see that?

You can't be serious. The iPhone has doubled (sometimes more) its performance every year. On what other platform do you see that?

Computer performance has grown explosively over the last 20-30 years. Performance gains are rapid initially. Lately, a lot of research is going into shrinking computing capabilities, much more than making faster processors. But eventually that will slow down, too. There is only so much you can shrink something and improve its performance.

Madness

By the time it'll happen, people won't care because they'll be used to what the XbOne and ps4 are churning out. Some games on mobile today easily rival or surpass what we got on Xbox or ps2 and yet no one notices, just gets taken for granted because we see better elsewhere.

Which really is the crux of it, as all game code, animation code etc etc runs on the CPU rather than the GPU. Hence mobile games like Infinity Blade end up feeling shallow and lacking entirely the kinds of depth and complexity found in PS360 games..
So why do xbox 360 games lack the complexity and depth of games from 1999 like unreal tournament or quake 3? Which people played on pentium II and IIIs
(i know what you are saying I just want to take a stab at the consoles and point out that the cpu power isn't actually used for gameplay)

Massa

You can see how much EA has made on mobile vs nintendo/sony handhelds and vs Wii (in millions):
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...5d-de612bcbbc61/EA_News_2013_1_30_General.pdf
Code:
                         Q3 Q4 Q2 Q1 Q3
Mobile                   70 87 69 75 86 
Wii                      49 20  8 17 20
PlayStation Handhelds    14  6 10 14 15
Nintendo Handhelds       15  5  9  8  9

Tapped Out had $23 million in revenue last quarter, more than the total revenue from Wii or Nintendo/Sony handhelds (listed above).
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=736891

EA has three games on Vita and more than 100 in mobile. I'd expect the revenue difference to be much greater.

dagamer34

Neo Member
Phones have surpassed PS2 levels of graphics for 1-2 years now yet we still don't see massive original games like we did during that era. Extremely few companies are trying to make anything on the same scope as Final Fantasy X or Grand Theft Auto III, I mean what's the point when far simpler games like Clash of Clans and Candy Crush Saga make far more money while development costs are far less than even a typical B title from then. And when users want 99 cent games or free games, who would want to willingly sink $10 million to get the same number of art assets that those games have (and that's what really ballooned budgets this time around, art). And I haven't even addressed the control issue yet.

Regardless of the amount of GPU performance a phone or tablet has, it's not ergonomic ally confortable to use for extended periods of time for anything even approaching twitch gaming. That's the actual problem. And as soon as you throw in a controller, I might as well game on a PS4 or Xbox One as you no longer have a portable system.

dagamer34

Neo Member
An iPhone, with official controller support, capable of outputting to a TV, is a pretty crazy prospect... I can't see how that couldn't take a serious bite out of the current console market...

Because the battery would drain itself in 3-4 hours. Where would you keep this controller? Would you carry it around with you?

I'm not saying there's not revenue to be made, but the iPhone to TV concept just seems clunky.

numble

Because the battery would drain itself in 3-4 hours. Where would you keep this controller? Would you carry it around with you?

I'm not saying there's not revenue to be made, but the iPhone to TV concept just seems clunky.
The controller works as a case, making the iPhone look like a Vita, and can provide extra battery to the iPhone. Mophie Juice cases already can double the iPhone's battery life.

LukeTim

How do you know this?

He's outputting to a TV, for a start... so presumably you're at home (where you will keep your controller, no need to carry it around unless you're taking it to a friend's house or something)... so you can plug it into a wall socket so a draining battery isn't really an issue.

iPhone can already output games to a TV, and I'm pretty sure people do it fairly often... And it's really not clunky. It's airplay, and it works pretty damned well.

Top Bottom