• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JP Pikmin 3 Miiverse board is full of new screens

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This was linked to in the Pikmin 3 review thread earlier, but I thought it was worth calling more attention to:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073045809156/14866558073045809163

Browsin through here there are a ton of gorgeous things to look at, and there will only be more with each passing minute. Probably best to skip past stuff posted within the last half hour or so to make sure any spoilery things have been moderated out, but you can get a great peek at a variety of pretty things, such as:

zlCfzRDOwDInxo9vYr

zlCfzRDOsa4rmIB_Jy

zlCfzRDOs3A0EjvMB4

(Platinum medal?)

zlCfzRDOsBQGcf6hoe

zlCfzRDOuBgQiS7VOH

(Peek at the leaderboards here, reminds me of Mario Kart Wii a bit.)

zlCfzRDOstIrwyOYzb

It's a pretty weird mix, this game, of some low-poly low-texture environments, populated by hugely detailed enemies, ships, and foliage. With a ton of really nice shaders and effects on top. I'm sure it'll look fab in motion on my TV.

[Edit] Adding some of the more impressive shots posted later in the thread:

zlCfzRDR92oR3Cnwg7

zlCfzRDSoSMgy0CPw_

zlCfzRDV0GsrllBjBJ

zlCfzRDUxToV5ueXiQ

zlCfzRDRdBwPwPPCsy

zlCfzRDVwv8r15fEuZ

zlCfzRDV-5UNFquzpa

Neiteio

Man, I absolutely adored Pikmin 2, but for some reason I can't muster any excitement for Pikmin 3. :-\

Does this game have a bestiary like the one in Pikmin 2? I loved examining the monsters in their natural habitat without any risk of harm to my character.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man, I absolutely adored Pikmin 2, but for some reason I can't muster any excitement for Pikmin 3. :-\

Does this game have a bestiary like the one in Pikmin 2? I loved examining the monsters in their natural habitat without any risk of harm to my character.

:eek:

I've been gettin pretty hype over the last couple days. Mostly just lookin forward to the challenge mode stuff. Pikmin is such a great score attack game, one of the only score attack games I actually enjoy.

No word on a Piklopedia, though. Which is a shame, I loved zenning out in there.

Neiteio

The Challenge Mode does sound pretty great. If I understand correctly, it's a way to jump in and get the Pikmin experience without having to play the campaign. Kind of like the appeal of Mercs in Resident Evil, how it can give you the RE action without having to commit to entire levels.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They're a lot more intense than your typical campaign experience tho, if the Pikmin 1 and 2 challenge modes were any indication. You gotta operate like an oiled machine, vs the kind of wanderin do-whatever in the main mode. Though Miyamoto's been on about how replayable the campaign's supposed to be this time around, which is good to hear. Pikmin 1 was fun to replay shootin for fast times, again one of the only games where I actually enjoyed doin that.

PK Gaming

On the upside, i'm way more hyped now. Some of the stuff that's been leaking out is astounding.

On the downside, it just made waiting for this game to come out all the more painful :(

Mik2121

This is an in-game screen shot?

Yep. The game is full of great-looking spots with pretty neat shaders that make thing looks really detailed, and yet some areas are kinda empty and boring looking. Still, in motion the game definitely looks much better than in screenshots.

It's a pretty weird mix, this game, of some low-poly low-texture environments, populated by hugely detailed enemies, ships, and foliage. With a ton of really nice shaders and effects on top. I'm sure it'll look fab in motion on my TV.

It really does have a weird look to it. The long Wii U drought is almost over!

antonz

Was never going to escape its Wii Origins but its a good looking game considering its lifecycle. They took a lot of complaints to heart last year and focused on polishing it up graphically

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I really wish that Mii Verse output images at the TV resolution rather than the Gamepad resolution.

I bet they would look incredible at TV res.

Gameplay and art style are everything, but I'm not blown away by the graphic fidelity like I want to be. That first screen doesn't look like a huge leap over previous games. The other pics do, and I'm sure motion will improve them. The space-ship taking off looks quite nice.

jnWake

I'm not sure if my eyes are broken or something but I can't see why people criticize these graphics. In any case, I'm glad I don't see uglyness here :)

I'm not sure if my eyes are broken or something but I can't see why people criticize these graphics. In any case, I'm glad I don't see uglyness here :)

You don't see ground textures that wouldn't look out of place in a N64 game? if not your eyes are extremely broken.

For something that started out on the Wii they've really made strides with that original Pikmin engine. They've really worked on making what they could look good look great, but its Wii origins stick out like a sore thumb. I could only imagine how it would have looked like had it built from the ground up for WiiU. Still though the game looks amazing and the lighting is fantastic. These screens are in 480p correct?

SparkTR

You don't see ground textures that wouldn't look out of place in a N64 game? if not your eyes are extremely broken.

Ground textures always look bad in RTS games. They're designed to look best at the default view which people will be playing the game at, which looks to be the case with Pikmin 3.

Roo

It's not an ugly game by any means but it definitely could look a lot better.

The ground texture work and the lack of AA are disheartening.
Wonder why those weren't higher in their "things to fix" checklist if at all.

It's not an ugly game by any means but it definitely could look a lot better.

The ground texture work and the lack of AA are disheartening.
Wonder why those weren't higher in their "things to fix" checklist if at all.

There probably is AA, Miiverse screens get shrunk down to 480p which can cause jaggies.

chrono01

I've been watching of a lot of gameplay on NicoNico of the Japanese game.

Even at stream quality, the game looks great and seems to be so much fun to play. I know it's relatively early, but I can already see this being one of the year's best on the Wii U.

lord

I bet this is Nintendo's new marketing strategy, spam pictures on miiverse , post weird videos online (those awful direct things) and be done with it, at least they make good games though

don't kill me, jk about the marketing

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I bet this is Nintendo's new marketing strategy, spam pictures on miiverse , post weird videos online (those awful direct things) and be done with it, at least they make good games though

don't kill me, jk about the marketing

Nintendo Directs are fantastic.

The Lamp

I guess I kind of forgive it since it used to be a Wii game but...they didn't really fix the ugly ass ground textures. Well they improved it a lot since previous previews but they still look kind of meh.

But at least the screens themselves look interesting.

Gleethor

Gameplay and art style are everything, but I'm not blown away by the graphic fidelity like I want to be. That first screen doesn't look like a huge leap over previous games. The other pics do, and I'm sure motion will improve them. The space-ship taking off looks quite nice.

I'm looking at pikmin 2 on my tv right now, its definitely a big leap.

lord

Nintendo Directs are fantastic.
I don't know maybe I haven't seen that many but the ones I did... I found them awkward, corny and unfunny, which might be the intention I don't know, great that you like them though

mclem

zlCfzRDOuBgQiS7VOH

(Peek at the leaderboards here, reminds me of Mario Kart Wii a bit.)

Holy moly, is that a Spacechem-style leaderboard chart? I've waxed lyrical about how wonderful those are elsewhere:

I've mentioned this in a few threads recently because it's something that I'd love to see many many more games work with.

SpaceChem's leaderboards.

aOLH8kO.jpg

Presenting them as a bell curve rather than a straight ranking is a *much* better way of handling leaderboards. While it's nice if you're good enough to fight for a top-ten ranking in a conventional leaderboard (say...), the average player doesn't really get any such enjoyment out of the global leaderboards, only really competition against friends. SpaceChem's bell curve, though, allows you to see if your performance is above-average; not something leaderboards built around straight rankings can really do, and it gives *any* player something realistic to strive for; being left of the curve *always* feels achievable, and it's rewarding when you get there.

If Pikmin's got Spacechem leaderboards, I might actually pay attention to the online ranking side of it.

I guess I kind of forgive it since it used to be a Wii game but...they didn't really fix the ugly ass ground textures. Well they improved it a lot since previous previews but they still look kind of meh.

But at least the screens themselves look interesting.

If I remember correctly I think Miyamoto stated that they had a filter on when looking at objects from an angle that gives it that blurred look, and by looking at the side view ground pictures and the top-down view pictures it seems they never removed it. Idk why it was implemented in the first place actually.

The artstyle of this game is so gorgeous even if the ground textures hurt the overall aesthetic. Luckily the game won't be zoomed in that much, but jeez those textures seem more like a time constraint than anything. 30fps for a Wii origin game is annoying though. Just imagine how nice Pikmin 4 will look

Top Bottom