• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JP Pikmin 3 Miiverse board is full of new screens

This one:
zlCfzRDOstIrwyOYzb

And this one:

How lovely.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wish Miiverse upgraded so Gifs are possible but knowing Nintendo it'll be compressed like crazy ala 3DS eShop videos =/

It's a great idea!
Considering that with MKTvii they will allow to stream even gameplay videos, maybe we could expect Gif on Miiverse sometimes in the future...

KrawlMan

Its because everything besides the n64 ground textures is wonderful looking

This part really makes no sense. It's like they opted to improve almost everything in the game but the ground textures. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody told me that these ground textures were from the Wii version and Nintendo just decided not to change them.

This part really makes no sense. It's like they opted to improve almost everything in the game but the ground textures. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody told me that these ground textures were from the Wii version and Nintendo just decided not to change them.

Normally the camera is up high and you're watching it from a nother perspective.
What is so hard to understand? Have you never even played a game in your life where you walked up close to a texture and realised it was not as detailed than from the normal viewing distance?

Having said that, yes. textures upclose are a bit unimmersive.

plank

Are the ground textures so bad that it would actually render the whole game unplayable to certain people?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The problem with textures is you can make a lot of games look bad by zooming in close and at a sharp angle. The various texture effects that make things look nice a distance break down.

Aside from some issues with seams here and there, the ground textures in the game aren't awful when viewed from the normal gameplay perspectives. But they aren't friendly towards Pikmin eye view screen shots, either.

DrWong

They should release a high definition ground texture pack as DLC!

F... You're really annoying guys. Never played an exclusive AAA RTS PC game before? Good, there's just a new one on the market.

Compared to the kiddy Pikmin 3, running on a "underpowered" Wii U, COH 2 ground textures looks like N64 with RAM pack, which is better than the N64 textures of Pikmin 3, obviously.

CoolS

I guess it would habe been cool if they implemented higher res textures for the photo mode but otherwise I really don't care because the rest seems to look great.

Still not sure if I should keep my pre-order of the game. Pikmin 1 just never really clicked with me, so I'm still torn on this one.

KrawlMan

Normally the camera is up high and you're watching it from a nother perspective.
What is so hard to understand? Have you never even played a game in your life where you walked up close to a texture and realised it was not as detailed than from the normal viewing distance?

Having said that, yes. textures upclose are a bit unimmersive.

Have you never watched a video of this game in your life (or possibly played the demo) to see that most ground textures are a muddy mess at any viewing distance, and that there is a blatant disparity in quality between different parts of the environment? Having your camera zoomed out certainly does improve things, but there is enough content in this game that brings you close enough to these textures to notice how awful they are.

I don't see how you can defend it at all.

EDIT:
F... You're really annoying guys. Never played an exclusive AAA RTS PC game before? Good, there's just a new one on the market.

Compared to the kiddy Pikmin 3, running on a "underpowered" Wii U, COH 2 ground textures looks like N64 with RAM pack, which is better than the N64 textures of Pikmin 3, obviously.

Most of the time you play Pikmin is spent much closer to the units than any AAA RTS. Zooming in that close in a big PC RTS is more novel than necessary, its like a "Oh cool they modeled all these troops, ok lets zoom out so I can play the game again".

Scrawnton

I feel very sorry for people who let ground textures get in their way of enjoying the game.

Its actually depressing that some of you think this way..

taku

Jeesh, mister. It was a
half
joke!
Here's a quote from an earlier reply I made in this thread:
I love Pikmin.. It really captures the essence of nature being beautiful, and all the imaginary thoughts I had as a kid about tiny creatures roaming the forest.

Oh, and also, just because other RTS PC games have crap textures makes this totally okay by comparison? Why would there even need to be a comparison?

Have you never watched a video of this game in your life (or possibly played the demo) to see that most ground textures are a muddy mess at any viewing distance, and that there is a blatant disparity in quality between different parts of the environment? Having your camera zoomed out certainly does improve things, but there is enough content in this game that brings you close enough to these textures to notice how awful they are.

I don't see how you can defend it at all.

I don't know, maybe because most of us will be playing a great game....not bad ground textures. I don't understand how or why some of you are so damn hung up on it. We get it the ground textures aren't great, get over it.

yes and that's not true.
They could be better, but they're not muddy from the normal distance.
They were on gamecube though.

KrawlMan

I don't know, maybe because most of us will be playing a great game....not bad ground textures. I don't understand how or why some of you are so damn hung up on it. We get it the ground textures aren't great, get over it.

I'm going to buy it, and I'm going to enjoy it. But this message board is for discussing games, including their problems. This might be the only problem I have with the game, but considering how much Nintendo missed the "launch window" on release, from a consumers perspective they have no excuse for the unfortunate textures.

Edit: I feel like quoting my own avatar after reading what I'm writing, seems like an accurate depiction of how it sounds. (It doesn't really reflect my demeanor in real life, I'm just lack tact).

Scrawnton

I'm going to buy it, and I'm going to enjoy it. But this message board is for discussing games, including their problems. This might be the only problem I have with the game, but considering how much Nintendo missed the "launch window" on release, from a consumers perspective they have no excuse for the unfortunate textures.

nintendo gets bashed for a supposed great game having bad textures? Darks Souls is universally praised and the textures and frame rate are both terrible. Call of Duty is praised and the graphics are generally terrible including horrible wall textures. Bioshock infinite on consoles was praised and the textures are a mess as well.

Yet, nintendo makes a great game with questionable ground textures and its the end of the fucking world...

sorry, no excuse for the bad textures. get over yourself.

Ryoku

Ground texture is not the issue. It's the lack of any anisotropic filtering that makes the ground look comparatively bad. Doesn't mean the game isn't good, though.

Jeesh, mister. It was a
half
joke!
Here's a quote from an earlier reply I made in this thread:

Oh, and also, just because other RTS PC games have crap textures makes this totally okay by comparison? Why would there even need to be a comparison?

The point is this: In an RTS Game you usually have a top down view from far above. The ground textures are only "horrible" if you zoom in.

Sigh - can´t believe a new game is out and people are again only interestet in ground textures..

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think the point made by posting the PC game shot is that this is an RTS. A lot of people seem to look at screenshots of games in an abstract sense without considering the genre or design.

Like when folks look at a huge sandbox world game, and wonder why blades of grass in one spot are 2D textures rather than geometry.

Look at most high end RTS titles, including Starcraft II, and zoom in close. The textures in Pikmin 3 are not as anywhere nearly as terrible as they are made out to be. Which is not to say they couldn't be better.

Looking back over the thread this shot:

zlCfzRDCtNcnuNvLB8

Demonstrates what the textures really look like in gameplay perspective with effects and lighting. While the ground level camera beauty shots reveal the limitations, they're also misleading as to what the game typically looks like.

Edit: found what I was looking for. Here's what happens when you take a texture and view it from a steep angle:

Dat visual disparity. Those N64 floor textures versus those characters.

I picked TLOU because it's currently being name-dropped as an example of expensive graphics.

Edit Plus: adjusted language to avoid seeming antagonistic. This should be about education.

SparkTR

Because high end PCs these days are over 8 times more powerful than Wii-U, and yet even their RTS games have bad ground textures when zoomed in. It's something that comes with the genre, Nintendo (or anybody else) can't fix that, it's not the games or the platforms fault. And thus it isn't worth complaining about or mentioning. This isn't directed at you, but other people complaining about the texture.

Because high end PCs these days are over 8 times more powerful than Wii-U, and yet even their RTS games have bad ground textures when zoomed in. It's just something that comes with the genre, not the game or the platforms fault. And thus it isn't worth complaining about or mentioning. This isn't directed at you, but other people complaining about the texture.
Unless I see someone repeatedly complain about ground textures, the complaints don't bother me. Waiting to play the game to form my own opinion.

Pixel counters, on the other hand – they drive me up the wall.

taku

Look people..

Bottom line is, the game looks beautiful! In fact, the game looks so beautiful that the shitty ground textures break some of the atmosphere. Most (if not everyone) posting in this thread probably intend to play this game, so why are some of you getting so defensive about the discussion of these shit textures?

Fact: Game's got shit for ground textures
Fact: Game looks awesome!

The game looks gorgeous except for two things: excessive DOF effect and ground textures that are either low poly or they look like like super-flat wallpaper. This looks especially odd with grass and leaves.

Look people..

Bottom line is, the game looks beautiful! In fact, the game looks so beautiful that the shitty ground textures break some of the atmosphere. Most (if not everyone) posting in this thread probably intend to play this game, so why are some of you getting so defensive about the discussion of these shit textures?

For me its because this is what all pikmin 3 threads devolve into. To me its irrelevant I am getting the game because I love Pikmin, not because some textures look bad up close.

JoeInky

has Pikmin in game always hinted at humans and Earth?

Pretty sure the series has always heavily implied that it takes place on a post-apocalyptic earth.

I wonder if anyone can find out how far into the future the earth is in Pikmin 3 using the position of the continents on the world map.

Or maybe the continents haven't been moved as they should and they just stuck them wherever they wanted.

explodet

That watermelon doesn't look very appetizing. Maybe they give you lots of seeds!

Cute! Although I really hope a pair of ferrets aren't a boss or something, they'd tear my squad to pieces.

Now I should probably leave before more spoilers hit.

mantidor

has Pikmin in game always hinted at humans and Earth?

The "treasures" in Pikmin 2 are clearly real life consumer products, duracell batteries for instance, so yeah they are on Earth (or at least a planet where humans existed). I'm not sure if Pikmin 3 is in the same planet though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Look people..

To me, it's because we read it in every Pikmin3 thread. it was hard to find new info on the game, at a certain point, because a lot of posts devolved around that issue.
and, this:

I hope this means they focused on gameplay instead.

Top Bottom