• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JP Pikmin 3 Miiverse board is full of new screens

Doczu

The "treasures" in Pikmin 2 are clearly real life consumer products, duracell batteries for instance, so yeah they are on Earth (or at least a planet where humans existed). I'm not sure if Pikmin 3 is in the same planet though.

The last posted screen implies that Pikmin 3 also takes place on Earth.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The "treasures" in Pikmin 2 are clearly real life consumer products, duracell batteries for instance, so yeah they are on Earth (or at least a planet where humans existed). I'm not sure if Pikmin 3 is in the same planet though.

It's the same planet.

Allegedly in an old interview about Pikmin, Miyamoto has said they imagine the planet is Earth long after humans have left it and vanished, leaving behind a few buried hints of their existence. Thus the creatures like Pikmin and strange insects evolved at some point in the future.

KrawlMan

Look people..

Bottom line is, the game looks beautiful! In fact, the game looks so beautiful that the shitty ground textures break some of the atmosphere. Most (if not everyone) posting in this thread probably intend to play this game, so why are some of you getting so defensive about the discussion of these shit textures?

Fact: Game's got shit for ground textures
Fact: Game looks awesome!

A agree with you on both bottom points. I just can't get over how disjointed the world appears sometimes. A cluster of clean, beautifully textured and modeled flora contrasting a blurry brown/green mess.

It's also worth mentioning that it's not all ground textures, some screens handle it quite well.

wsippel

Banned
I think the point made by posting the PC game shot is that this is an RTS. A lot of people seem to look at screenshots of games in an abstract sense without considering the genre or design.

Like when folks look at a huge sandbox world game, and wonder why blades of grass in one spot are 2D textures cuz it sucks shit when every inch of a game don't look like filmic CG.

Go look at most high end RTS titles and zoom in up close, including Starcraft II. The textures in Pikmin 3 are not as anywhere nearly as terrible as graphics panic ("Immoral textures") make them out to be. Which is not to say they couldn't be better.

Looking back over the thread this shot:

zlCfzRDCtNcnuNvLB8

Demonstrates what the textures really look like in gameplay perspective with effects and lighting. While the ground level camera beauty shots reveal the limitations, they're also misleading as to what the game typically looks like.

Edit: found what I was looking for. Here's what happens when you take a texture and view it from a steep angle:

Dat visual disparity. Those N64 floor textures versus those characters that sport a real man's texture set.

Yes, I picked TLOU because it's currently being name-dropped as an example of "amazing" and expensive graphics that poor Nintendo could never touch.
Yeah, people really don't understand texturing and especially what steep angles do. You could waste a full GB on ground textures and still end up with a mess at difficult camera angles.

mantidor

It's the same planet.

Allegedly in an old interview about Pikmin, Miyamoto has said they imagine the planet is Earth long after humans have left it and vanished, leaving behind a few buried hints of their existence. Thus the creatures like Pikmin and strange insects evolved at some point in the future.

Post apocalyptic earth confirmed then.

It's really obvious once you play the first games to be honest.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks great!

But what I don't get is the Wiimote controls. Can you also control the game with the touchscreen on the gamepad? I would imagine that would be the best way to play the game, and always envisioned it that way when I first heard it was coming to U.

Kater

Banned
It looks better the more I see of it.
Cute Units + Terrifying enemies + RTS + Nature, perfectly captured in a video game (with a touch of fantasy/sci-fi) = Brilliance
I think I might have to give it try when I get a Wii U.

Sadly the local electronics store with the cheapest prices around here ran out of Wii U's and the next order comes in half a month. Damn :(
Edit: I just saw that the game releases here in Europe around the time they restock Wii U's. What a great coincidence!

It's a pretty weird mix, this game, of some low-poly low-texture environments, populated by hugely detailed enemies, ships, and foliage. With a ton of really nice shaders and effects on top. I'm sure it'll look fab in motion on my TV.

I noticed that, too. In fact, I didn't see the low-poly/ low-texture environments until I was watching final footage from Nintendomination. In all the pre-release footage of the game, I thought it looked amazing. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. But it does sometimes look jarring for plants and creatures to look so detailed on top of blurry rocks.

Kai Dracon

Looks great!

But what I don't get is the Wiimote controls. Can you also control the game with the touchscreen on the gamepad? I would imagine that would be the best way to play the game, and always envisioned it that way when I first heard it was coming to U.

The touch pad can be used to order the captains to head towards waypoints, enabling the player to keep them all in motion at the same time. When playing with just the gamepad, the controls are like the Gamecube Pikmins. Enhanced by the touch pad functions in the center.

With wii remote, the gamepad is still active and can be kept close to pause the game and examine the overview, and order the captains around. The advantage of the wiimote configuration is being able to use a mouselike cursor in the game for fast, precise targeting.

There should be enough configurations to keep everyone happy.

HeySeuss

I bet this is Nintendo's new marketing strategy, spam pictures on miiverse , post weird videos online (those awful direct things) and be done with it, at least they make good games though

don't kill me, jk about the marketing

This is absolutely the driving force behind the conception of WaraWara/MiiVerse. The plaza shows the to 10 miiverse communities, which makes people check out what others are playing. Then they read about how excited the people that have the game are, then the reader gets more interested in the game.

People have a natural desire to be a part of what's popular at any given time. It's brilliant marketing, they just need the games to move consoles.

This game is looking really great. Can't wait to see what Nintendo can produce with more time on Wii U hardware.

Also, wasn't miyamoto working with a small team on this game?

As said before, this game looks best in motion. Was watching a video on YouTube with an English speaker playing the Japanese game. He kept commenting on how gorgeous the game looks in person.

I think X will be the game where we see what the hardware can truly do. They're going for a seamless open world. I can only assume monolith soft will be the first to really push the edram(?).

Damian.

Banned
Its because everything besides the n64 ground textures is wonderful looking

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I am getting this day and date of release. But would it have been so hard, especially with the extra dev time to at least put a hi-res texture on everything? 1GB of RAM is way more than enough for something like that. Not even HD textures, just something with at least a hint of texturing. :(

Kai Dracon

This is absolutely the driving force behind the conception of WaraWara/MiiVerse. The plaza shows the to 10 miiverse communities, which makes people check out what others are playing. Then they read about how excited the people that have the game are, then the reader gets more interested in the game.

People have a natural desire to be a part of what's popular at any given time. It's brilliant marketing, they just need the games to move consoles.

Those who don't use a Wii U and dismiss Miiverse as nonsense underestimate the potential power it has. Even with the current userbase, Miiverse is used heavily for game recommendations. The average person doesn't come to a forum like GAF. But with Miiverse being built right into the console, people use it regularly to ask if a game is worth purchasing.

Exile20

Those who don't use a Wii U and dismiss Miiverse as nonsense underestimate the potential power it has. Even with the current userbase, Miiverse is used heavily for game recommendations. The average person doesn't come to a forum like GAF. But with Miiverse being built right into the console, people use it regularly to ask if a game is worth purchasing.

You are correct. I follow games closely and yet I still see games I didn't know was on Wii U. Games I am not interested in but atleast they are getting visibility. I could only imagine a casual Wii U gamer appreciating miiverse/wara wara plaza since they are not on the internet 24/7 talking about games.

Frodo

Miiverse is great. Is so good to share something in-game and then see people are facing the same challenges or experiences, or get tips or help someone who is stuck in a part of the game you already cleared... Shame it is not an easy concept to sell.

The problem is that's only one part of an advertising campaign: people who are already bought in to the ecosystem but may not know or yet care about the game.

It doesn't really reach out to, you know, anyone else.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The problem is that's only one part of an advertising campaign: people who are already bought in to the ecosystem but may not know or yet care about the game.

I would also add that because Nintendo does not start communities until the game releases (with one or two exceptions), Miiverse really cannot be used to drum up interest before a title releases.

Kai Dracon

Miiverse is absolutely a companion to traditional advertising, and not the tool for trying to turn specific games into system sellers for potential new owners.

But past that I think it's more about maximizing sales potential for the userbase you do have. And encouraging a long tail for sales, especially given every Wii U game is available for digital download.

People are worried that games like W101 will come out and sell 10k copies due to no visibility. Miiverse is something that could help with that.

I would also add that because Nintendo does not start communities until the game releases (with one or two exceptions), Miiverse really cannot be used to drum up interest before a title releases.

The fact that miiverse users have been using special communities such as the E3 board to discuss upcoming releases points to the need for a community specifically for that function. Essentially, the hype board.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't know what it is but every time I see this game in action, I think this might be the most gorgeous game to come out this year for me. In spite of a few problematic textures here and there. It looks that awesome.

Tripon

Same planet you're visiting, the player characters are from a different planet this time.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
With wii remote, the gamepad is still active and can be kept close to pause the game and examine the overview, and order the captains around. The advantage of the wiimote configuration is being able to use a mouselike cursor in the game for fast, precise targeting.
Can the wiimote control both the TV and the GamePad in this setup? I mean if you point the wiimote to the GamePad, is the IR put in action?

D-e-f-

Banned
Can the wiimote control both the TV and the GamePad in this setup? I mean if you point the wiimote to the GamePad, is the IR put in action?

Yes, Miyamoto proudly confirmed that during E3 or even prior to that, I believe.

Off-TV w/ Wiimote is possible!

Shiggy

I'm not sure but as it uses Wii Motion+, I guess you don't need to point at the sensor bar anyway.

D-e-f-

Banned
Well I knew that, my question is, can you control the 2 screens at the same time with a wiimote?

Wait, but how ... what do you want to control on the touch screen if you're also playing on the TV? I don't see how the software would know which of the two you're pointing at unless you basically "disable" one by choosing regular TV play or Off-TV.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wait, but how ... what do you want to control on the touch screen if you're also playing on the TV? I don't see how the software would know which of the two you're pointing at unless you basically "disable" one by choosing regular TV play or Off-TV.
I guess the TV could be controlled wih Motion+ and the GamePad positioned at a 45 degrees angle with IR.

Top Bottom