• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Battlefield 4's graphics lacking on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week at Gamescom, however, I had an opportunity to play Battlefield 4 on a PlayStation 4 development system, and the resulting experience has me worried.

In spite of EA and DICE's emphasis on narrowing the gap between consoles and PC, this week's PS4 demo did not include a full 64-player match or the franchise's beloved vehicular combat. Instead, attendees were treated to a local 16-player match of Domination mode, which limited the play area to a small segment of the game's freshly minted Paracel Storm map.

From the moment I sat down, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by the visuals. Instead of the crisp, detailed textures I've encountered this week on the PC version or other next-gen shooter titles, Battlefield 4 on PS4 looked soft and muddled. Wall textures looked half-finished, lacking some of the smaller material nuances or 3D variation. Environmental destruction was more extensive than Battlefield 3 and explosions would send larger chunks of buildings into the air, but once again, the particles looked dull. Weapon models looked great at the hip, but as soon as I raised them to look down the iron sights or scopes, imperfections became apparent.

Another contributing factor was resolution. While EA and DICE have not confirmed what resolution the game will run at on next-gen consoles, for the purposes of this demo, it was running at a resolution higher than 720p, but not 1080p. Though the difference between the two formats may not be recognizable to more casual players, after spending the week checking out games running natively at 1080p, it was readily apparent to me.
IGN

JHall

MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

Jonboy

Probably more a matter of meeting deadlines than laziness, but it's definitely discouraging.

I think Shadow Fall has pretty much won me over already anyway.

scitek

And this is an IGN guy noticing this. They typically don't notice shit. At least I haven't ever known them to pick apart things like resolution.

npa189

BF4 is pretty ambitious, and this is a console launch, devs need time to get familiar with the hardware, but I understand the disappointment that it doesn't look as good as the PC will.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Quite an interesting time to post this article by IGN, especially with all the 720p discussion going on. The game could be simply unfinished on the next-gen consoles. I'm not expecting it to match the PC version in visual fidelity anyway.

Ixion090

Well, if this is true and the textures are half finished and the particles effects are lacking, I believe this could be DICE's fault, you know?

shandy706

900p upscale to 1080p wouldn't be bad.

Why do people expect high-end PC level? That's silly.

I'll be buying all mult-plats on PC anyway.

Tom Penny

So already problems and these consoles are supposed to get us through 5+ more years of gaming. Diminishing returns for sure.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what a shitstorm it would be if the xbone version out performs the ps4 one

calder

I definitely think I had been overly optimistic about DICE making such an ambitious cross-platform, cross-gen game at launch. I think expecting BF4 to be a standout title on the next-gen systems compared to the first party console exclusives was, in hindsight, unrealistic. :\

Gestault

Having just made a few small tweaks on my gaming PC, I was surprised playing Battlefield 3 (from the Origin Humble Bundle) how much...frankly better it looked than many of the next-gen titles shown off on the new systems. I think this may be a common theme among the more dedicated hobbyists, but for the mainstream? These consoles will still be leagues less expensive compared to the equivalent experience on PC, which many won't have even encountered in the wild.

If it's running smoothly and looking noticeably better than the PS3/360 versions, I think things are fine as far as the broader market is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom