• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade Report on KOF 13: "casual sexism", "cringe-inducing racial imagery"

sibarraz

Banned
http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...oves-online-play-doesnt-improve-casual-racism

Fighting games have enjoyed and suffered from many different reputations over the past twenty years, and The King of Fighters XIII is all of those reputations. Good and bad at the same time. Wrapped up into one single game.

It is a game that is at once deeply fun, engaging, complex, and beautiful. Yet at the same time all of that is balanced out by a worrisome amount of casual sexism and cringe-inducing racial imagery.

Fighting games have always had a complex relationship with female characters. On one hand, they're often some of the only games which include female characters that are every bit as capable as their male counterparts. On the other hand they're also routinely exploited for sexual titillation.

Even given the long history of sexual imagery in fighting games, King of Fighters XIII still manages to occasionally take it too far. The character Mai Shiranui has long been a blatant example of fighting game sexism gone too far, and her appearance in this game is positively defiant. She bends over farther so you can see farther down her barely-existent dress, and more care than ever has been taken in animating the movement of her breasts.

In another example, the female character King's shirt gets blasted off to reveal her bra if she's KOed with a special move like a fireball. The male characters in King of Fighters XIII are also quite often blatantly disrespectful of their female opponents. Which may not necessarily be unrealistic, but it's still uncomfortable and unnecessary. There's pre-match dialog between characters and there's many, “ugh, a WOMAN!?” types of exchanges. Despite the fact that women make up 30% of the game's cast and are clearly just as capable.

Despite its problems, King of Fighters XIII is the most beautiful fighting game I've ever seen. It doesn't boast the 3D models of Street Fighter IV or the hand-drawn animation of Persona 4 Arena, but King of Fighters XIII's pixel art still manages to put them both to shame. The backgrounds in this game are so intricately animated and detailed that I literally mumbled, “oh my god…” a few times while playing simply marveling at their beauty.

You almost don't notice them at first, but when you actually pay even a moment of attention you start to see just how much care has gone into every one of them. This is the best reason to buy King of Fighters XIII on PC above all other versions. Seeing them up-close on a PC monitor is like nothing else unless you have an amazing TV.

Unfortunately, the beauty of those backgrounds is often canceled out by the grossness of their contents. King of Fighters XIII features the usual globetrotting set of levels around the world. The problem is that SNK has seemingly seen fit to attempt to mock each race when they go to a new location.

The level in India, for instance, features dozens of people riding elephants in the background looking more like 10th century royalty than anything you might actually find in India. The Chinese stage is full of snaggle-toothed fish mongers slurping noodles with chickens running loose. The French stage shows dozens of highly overweight caucasian women with bad haircuts and big noses eating and cheering you on. The most cringe-inducing stage shows brown and green-skinned, toothless “people” in the jungle waving tiki masks and banging wood drums.

To be fair, there's also a self-referential Japan stage which is full of sumo wrestlers, kabuki masks, and all manner of cliche “Japanese” things. It at least shows that they attempted these stages from a place of all-inclusive humor, yet obviously missed the mark.

These aren't the only stages, but they are the most common in the arcade and story modes. Each of them is so lovingly crafted and gorgeous that you almost don't want to acknowledge how problematic they are.

All of this is such an unnecessary shame too, because the rest of the game is really quite good. I had a great time experimenting with the many different characters, and studying the deep fighting system in this game. At times it's far too deep for the average fighting game player to grasp though.

That said, I had a great deal of fun just playing the game at the beginner level. It's fluid, fast, strategic, and since each match is played with three characters, it helps you continue to experiment with new characters constantly.

Beyond that, the online system in the PC version seems to have been improved. King of Fighters XIII was specifically called out by experts as a game with poor online service in our feature on how lag kills fighting games, but things seem to be going better now.

While King of Fighters XIII carries the torch for the fighting game genre's worst reputations, it also carries on its finest traditions. This is a game that has thousands of hours of gameplay locked inside its complex systems if you care to dedicate yourself to finding it.

Whether you can get past the game's rampant insensitivity to find the wonderful game inside depends entirely on your own values.

I wonder if this was a review or not? since they don't talk almost anything about the game itself

this is not by the guys who draw the comics. just to get this out of the way. they have little to do with this.

ofc. it will be ignored.

Tagyhag

This is the future of gaming journalism: "Amazing game, lots of attention to detail, long length, great story, but misogynistic, do not buy."

liquidtmd

Banned
The only people that could get offended by this in context of KOFXIII are ones who either actively seek to be offended or ones who want to write click bai...oh

V_Arnold

AKA "Penny Arcade discovers the fat ladies on the background.".

I always thought that EXTREMELY hilarious, due to their INSANE high animation speed which shows that it is clearly an exaggeration, nothing else.

PBY

Banned
I don't understand the outrage against the piece. It seems like the points are somewhat valid, and I always appreciate reviews that tackle a game from a new perspective.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Didn't KoF13 come out almost 2 years ago (yes, Steam version is recent, but still)? Also, doesn't SF usually contain "stereotypical" locations for their stages (such as India)? Why no mention of that?

Maybe they need clicks? Not that it makes it okay, but the same exact criticisms can be leveled against pretty much every fighter on the market. I thought the backgrounds in the game were played for laughs, but I guess for every person that gets offended there is one that is indifferent.

Not saying a paradigm shift in the tone of games in general wouldn't do any good, because it will but this is just grasping at dicks to get clicks.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The cultural clashes in this industry are getting reeeeally out of hand lately.

A lot of this stuff boils down to American doesnt understand Japanese/Korean way of thinking"

I bet a lot of people in Japan look at GTA V and think its sexist due to the horrible things you can do to a female civilian.

Also, what was the point of the article?

serisously, it reads like this:
KOF IS SEXIST
KOF IS RACIST

oh btw the online's good and the graphics and mechanics are nice

wtf?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Some gold there:

She bends over farther so you can see farther down her barely-existent dress, and more care than ever has been taken in animating the movement of her breasts.

There's pre-match dialog between characters and there's many, “ugh, a WOMAN!?” types of exchanges. Despite the fact that women make up 30% of the game's cast and are clearly just as capable.

The most cringe-inducing stage shows brown and green-skinned, toothless “people” in the jungle waving tiki masks and banging wood drums.

Isn't Penny Arcade like one of the most popular gaming websites out there?

But the King character's bra revealing has context, as explained in a recent thread on GAF.

Can a series featuring a powerful, playable, transgender character really be called sexist?

Darklord

Banned
Oh fuck off. I'm sick of these politically correct whingers in this industry. Music, movies, books, they can do whatever they want but everything in gaming is offensive. It's nothing but click bait now.

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Well, Mai is a damn caricature at this rate, so I get that...

But the King thing goes back to her AOF days, no? That's more of the surprise gender reveal deal more than anything...

The pre-match shit talking...again, he makes note of them being just as cable, so wouldn't it be just mental stuff?

Meh. I wouldn't think of KOF being supremely racist or sexist.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Someone needs to make a game entitled SOCIAL JUSTICE at this point with the most outrageous and inflammatory stereotypes. The end boss is Twitter's post button that you have to punch a thousand times, each time inciting more and more pointless drama into the world.

Also, Tycho and Gabe simply couldnt have picked someone worse than Kuchera to front their game news site unless it was Gies. Just endlessly fucking terrible.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's supposed to be a review, by the way.
That's the crazy part, really. How many words are there about actually playing the game?

Also, man, KOF has characters like Ash or King. It was pretty progressive early on.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
God forbid this dude play Dead or Alive.

Ben Kuchera has a long record of being one of those people that really has no business in games media. I would advocate for PAR to be banned as long as he remains employed there (which considering PA hired him precisely for PAR, will be a really long time). That said, that's the most blatant clickbait I've seen in a while.

Top Bottom