• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future PS4 games may install to "cloud" and stream to console.

senador

Banned
Sithbot at Big Shiny Robot! spoke with a Sony rep regarding game sizes on PS4. The rep may have slipped some info about playing games via the cloud:

After speaking with a Sony rep under the condition of anonymity, it was confirmed that the PS4 will require large installs for all games going forward. When I pressed for more information, I was told that the only fix available now would be to install a bigger hard drive which Sony has said will not void the warranty. The rep did start to talk about a future solution where games could be installed to the cloud and streamed to the system but immediately stopped talking and said she had revealed too much.

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/56500/how-many-games-can-ps4-hold/

This isn't super shocking since they have Gakai. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I am a developer and occasional writer for Big Shiny Robot!, though I did not write this piece.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sounds like Gaikai.

I could imagine them providing a Gaikai-version of a game as long as the game is being downloaded/installed. After that, the games would seamlessly switch.

Nothing to get panties in a twist over just yet.

Lets enjoy the launch hype and let comparatively less important stuff like this take a back seat for now. Pls.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Could be really cool for both consoles (I'm sure Microsoft is doing the same thing), but I still don't understand how this is feasible for anything but an absurdly good connection.

Steel

Banned
Technically speaking aren't they already doing this with the 1 hour demos for all games they talked about? So long as we still have the option to buy the games physical or download the full game digital it can only be a plus to have another option. Cloud only would tick me though.

"Installed to the cloud"

These people make servers and streaming sound like some magical alien technology. It's super weird.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I don't -_-

Does she mean downloading and deleting constantly? That would be kind of cool.

Valnen

Sod that. That's basically XBone before the 180 in terms of restrictions.

Not if it's not mandatory to use the cloud. From the wording in the OP it sounds like this would be an optional service.

The problem people had with Xbone was the cloud stuff being forced down their throats, not just because it existed.

Barakov

Gold Member
An interesting idea but I'd rather stream the game's data off the system's hard drive rather than rely on the cloud. If I need space I'll delete off the hard drive. Still depending on how Gaikai's streaming shakes out, this could be an ideal alternative for some people.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I hope not, not everyone has a high speed connection with unlimited bandwidth. My 50gb cap struggles with PS+ as it is.

senador

Banned
Could be really cool for both consoles (I'm sure Microsoft is doing the same thing), but I still don't understand how this is feasible for anything but an absurdly good connection.

Yeah I don't see how it'd work. The games seems to be pushing it when running on the hardware directly. I don't understand the technology though.

I personally think they didn't really mean what was said or were referring to something else. Maybe it was just referring to digital download or being able to reinstall from the cloud and play as it installs.

No, thank you.

You have better not make it mandatory, Sony.. Otherwise I will be pissed.

That won't happen.

Crisco

Banned
Eh, not in the near future at least, internet speeds still aren't even close to magnetic hard drive speeds. Pulling down anywhere from 3-6GB of game data and loading it into system memory just isn't feasible yet. Even with 50Mbps, you're taking 10-20 minute loading times. You'd need to hit like 200Mbps before such a thing provided a tolerable experience. Now, if you designed a game entirely around this concept, where the game world was constantly streamed in as you moved around, it's possible even with today's speeds. But then you're totally at the mercy of TCP/IP to maintain a playable game.

Cragvis

Isnt this part of what we were not wanting from xb1? Having to always be online to play my singleplayer games?

No. At worst, give us the option to install it locally as well, and if some schmuck wants to stream every game let them too.

Valnen

Eh, not in the near future at least, internet speeds still aren't even close to magnetic hard drive speeds. Pulling down anywhere from 3-6GB of game data and loading it into system memory just isn't feasible yet. Even with 50Mbps, you're taking 10-20 minute loading times. You'd need to hit like 200Mbps before such a thing provided a tolerable experience.

MMO's handle this sort of streaming just fine.

How is this even news? Of course games require large installs. The Xbone installs literally the entire game. The ps4 is likely doing the same, or at least caching large chunks of it.

You can delete whatever game info you're not using. No need to buy a larger drive unless you're playing numerous games concurrently.

The "install to cloud" is just Gaikai. Its already confirmed to work this way for ps1, 2, and 3 games. 4 will come eventually but I'm sure Sony would rather
Sell you a game for 60 dollars than let you stream it like Netflix.

This is a whole lot of noise over nothing interesting

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Isnt this part of what we were not wanting from xb1? Having to always be online to play my singleplayer games?

No. At worst, give us the option to install it locally as well, and if some schmuck wants to stream every game let them too.

This would very obviously be an option.

In the future I have little doubt there'll be three delivery options for PS4 games

1) physical (some games, as today)

2) digital download (all games, as today)

3) streaming delivery (some or all games, primarily targeting other devices)

3) will have no impact on 2) or 1) except, perhaps, optional immediate access to a cloud hosted play session of a digital game while you await it downloading. There's nothing wrong with new options that inherently require online access - the problem with XB1 was in retrofitting ongoing online restrictions to physical and downloaded games.

Why would you "install" a copy to a server? The server can already have a copy and you just need to verify your local copy. This is nonsense.

Mononoke

Banned
This would be..the best solution IMO. One reason I love Apple TV (or other devices like Roku), is that you can buy as much as you want, and not worry about the HDD space being taken up. The issue is, of course, is how much lag. How often it has interruptions.

If they can smooth that out, this would be incredible. I would gladly switch over to this system for games, and would go all digital.

BigDug13

Imagine it:

Gaikai to become the Netflix streaming service for games. PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 games will be available. Possibly other older consoles as well if the service takes off (Dreamcast, Saturn, Neo Geo?). VitaTV is a cheap way to experience next gen gaming and the available games on Gaikai will be a rotating set of game titles each month just like Netflix streaming.

Would be awesome.

wizzbang

Banned
Sithbot at Big Shiny Robot! spoke with a Sony rep regarding game sizes on PS4. The rep may have slipped some info about playing games via the cloud:

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/56500/how-many-games-can-ps4-hold/

This isn't super shocking since they have Gakai. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I am a developer and occasional writer for Big Shiny Robot!, though I did not write this piece.

No thanks, nope.
No thank you very much, noooooooooooope no.
Nnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuurpppppp no way.
Unsubscribe.

Is playing off of the bluray that horrible that streaming from a faraway server would have less latency than doing it all on the home system?

Top Bottom