• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future PS4 games may install to "cloud" and stream to console.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
When Sony/Microsoft can guarantee a 99.999% uptime of their "clouds", and guarantee that for 99.999% of the players, lag will be under XX ms 99.999% of the time, then streaming games from the cloud will be a good idea.

Until the required amount of 9s is achieved, no thanks.

Who cares?

It's an OPTION if you run out of space and don't feel like deleting data (which you can just reinstall again later anyway).

Relax people... SHEESH.

Bunch of Mary's in the thread...

S¡mon

Banned
Uhm, so basically that's Gaikai and what they have been talking about since release? You know, streaming games. Initially PS3 titles, later PS4 titles you own (like to your PS Vita, or to your tablet).

I mean, it's really amazing. You've got the 'old reliable way' where there is a disc inside your PS4, or you use the hard drive. And than there's the new, additional option: access to all your games, wherever you are on whichever device.

Sony better provide both options for games, not either or. If I decide to use the cloud to stream a game, I better also be able to use the disc and HDD to play that very same game at a later time. Otherwise this is DRM.

system11

I do wish we could find the first documented use of the term 'cloud' in this context, then travel back in time and stop it happening.

Isn't that basically how it works already for DD titles with the ?

You download the first chunk then stream the rest while you play. Or do they actually mean video streaming?

Jburton

Banned
Sounds like an option rather than the only choice, and choice is good.

Also the fact that Playstation will be at the forefront of game streaming technology in the console space bodes well for a much more mature and well tested product by the time many years from now that cloud based gaming becomes more feasible as a complete method of delivery.

I do wonder if MS will purchase Onlive down the line?

Top Bottom