• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future PS4 games may install to "cloud" and stream to console.

Espada

No thanks, I don't care for Cloud stuff in general and this sounds especially bad. If it's mandatory, I'll simply avoid the games in question.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sounds like Gaikai.

I could imagine them providing a Gaikai-version of a game as long as the game is being downloaded/installed. After that, the games would seamlessly switch.

Yep. And not only that but in theory you could have access to a streamed cloud version from any other machine you log on from, so you don't have to re-download at a friend's house or on a trip. Log on to a machine and instant game from anywhere, no discs, no installs, no waits.

Hence the designation of a home machine that downloads and plays locally, and then the second machine is any other PS4 in the world.

Also, streaming straight to Vita on the go or a Vita TV for even less bandwidth, no more RemotePlay from your own PS4, but from a cloud instance.

All this became obvious possibilities a while back, they just don't seem to have been largely discussed.

DJ-TheGrey

Neo Member
Would be quite a feat to pull off smoothly!!! I'd rather install to my HDD and delete games I'm not using. Streaming 50gb of game data sounds crazy..... I'm no tech person so..... just my humble opinion.

Brashnir

Not with the partial installs, you download the content as you play.

That works fine for new MMO players since newbie areas tend to be small and a player has incredibly limited movement options out of the gate. It takes tens of hours to be able to go very far in most MMOs. Try it sometime with a high level character who has a need to go to multiple locations and see how well it works. It falls apart in a hurry.

And if the answer to that is to make all games progress at an MMO newbie's snail's pace, no thanks.

Lady Gaia

There really isn't enough information to come to any kind of meaningful conclusion, so I find both the excitement and the concerns a little bizarre. Whatever Sony has in mind, if it's not as popular as the status quo of simply installing locally then consumers won't stand for it. After making a big deal of letting people play games as they always have, Sony is doubtless well aware of this. Not to mention that nowhere in any promotion has an Internet connection requirement been stated, which precludes most of the worst possibilities.

Optionally running the game on cloud servers during the lengthy local installation is at least possible, but I would prefer to be wowed from the outset with a game introduction. Waiting for the required partial installation sounds less troubling than putting up with video heavy compression and lag.

RangerBAD

It would have to be optional since it would require the internet and Sony was playing up the whole "You don't need the internet to play our games!"

Mononoke

Banned
Even laggier controls, just what console gaming needed...

You don't need to use it. So even if it ends up being laggy, it's just another option. Plus, it's more about the long term prospect of this. If they eventually find a way to do this without barely any lag, this would solve a lot of problems. I agree it wouldn't happen any time soon (if this does come out in the next 3 years, it will have problems).

Faustek

Sounds like Gaikai.

I could imagine them providing a Gaikai-version of a game as long as the game is being downloaded/installed. After that, the games would seamlessly switch.

Well it's a future we're going to face sooner or later...I prefer later.

I only want this if Cloud is the nickname for my ultra large local hard drive.

1TB SSD is down to $500 now. Can only see the prices dropping with memristor being introduced and making SSD obsolete.

But yes seriously, NOT YET!...please

Has anyone calculated how fast one's upload/download speed would have to be for the added latency to the cloud to be manageable (assuming calculations on the cloud took on average N amount of time before sending data back to the user)?

Brashnir

Has anyone calculated how fast one's upload/download speed would have to be for the added latency to the cloud to be manageable (assuming calculations on the cloud took on average N amount of time before sending data back to the user)?

Upload and download speeds have almost nothing to do with latency, unless you're trying to send more data across a pipe than it can handle.

DJ-TheGrey

Neo Member
Ps4 is definitely in a sweet spot.... had this been the Xb1 instead poo would all over this thread along with pics of that dog every one loves! Ps4 cloud = optimism Xb1 cloud = s*** storm.

jony_m

There is a way this could work without the MS DRM approach.

You still need the disk in tray, but the assets that normally get installed to HDD would stream from the cloud. Not the whole game, just those assets that normally get installed to disk, think of a virtual online disk.

senador

Banned

You still need the disk in tray, but the assets that normally get installed to HDD would stream from the cloud. Not the whole game, just those assets that normally get installed to disk, think of a virtual online disk.

Well that's an interesting concept I hadn't thought about. Hmm.

WoolyNinja

If I can buy a digital version of the game and immediately start playing using streaming tech while the game downloads in the background, then I'm all for it. But not as a replacement to a local copy.

1TB SSD is down to $500 now. Can only see the prices dropping with memristor being introduced and making SSD obsolete.

But yes seriously, NOT YET!...please
ijscTKKBiOPRF.jpg

elcapitan

This sounds like the stuff mentioned at the February reveal event. Cloud streaming for games you download until it completes.

Arcteryx

No thanks. PSN is slow enough with demos/patches; imagine trying to download 50gb of data...

Hell, even on Steam that would take me a few hours to do.

If the disk is already in the tray, then I don't see the point in this at all. The only reason to ever use this is as a replacement for disks and/or digital downloads. If you already have the disk, all you're really saving yourself is hard drive space at the cost of introducing lag into your single player games. No thanks.

BulletTheory

Neo Member
i.e. when you buy a game, you could immediately start playing off the cloud.

In the background the game would start progressively installing. When enough of the game was down on your machine it would switch over to the local copy.

Trying to stream a game while downloading the 50GB game file in the background doesn't sound like much fun :(

spwolf

Sithbot at Big Shiny Robot! spoke with a Sony rep regarding game sizes on PS4. The rep may have slipped some info about playing games via the cloud:

http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/56500/how-many-games-can-ps4-hold/

This isn't super shocking since they have Gakai. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I am a developer and occasional writer for Big Shiny Robot!, though I did not write this piece.

dont we already know that they games are cached as you play, not really installed?

As to Gaikai, that was an idea - you could start playing game stream right away and when it downloads you continue on your local copy.

OmegaDL50

I wouldn't mind us getting around this by using a USB hdd for the PS3.

I mean the internal drive measured at 12.5mm will only support drives up to 1.5TB total.

If Sony allowed us to use a external USB drive to store game installs or caches then the skies the limit in terms of storing games.

If Sony was concerned of people using USB drives to copy games to a friends PS4, then they could just utilize drive based encryption with a unique key that only works with the PS4 the drive was used on.

This will allow people to use larger 3.5'' HDD's via USB.

smr00

Banned
As someone who has a bandwidth limit all i can say is go fuck yourself with your streaming and cloud nonsense.

Upload and download speeds have almost nothing to do with latency, unless you're trying to send more data across a pipe than it can handle.

Not true at all. If all computations are being done on the cloud, then pressing a button to move a character would require sending that information to the cloud, processing and then an updated image is sent back to the user. The time spent in transit, both coming and going, is latency. That amount of time must be very small otherwise streaming-based gaming will not work well.

Faustek

Its all good as long as the signal and feels were properly telegnostically received and interpreted.

danny-glover-murtaugh-lethal-weapon-150x150.gif

I wouldn't mind us getting around this by using a USB hdd for the PS3.

I mean the internal drive measured at 12.5mm will only support drives up to 1.5TB total.

If Sony allowed us to use a external USB drive to store game installs or caches then the skies the limit in terms of storing games.

If Sony was concerned of people using USB drives to copy games to a friends PS4, then they could just utilize drive based encryption with a unique key that only works with the PS4 the drive was used on.

This will allow people to use larger 3.5'' HDD's via USB.

9.5mm you mean? or was that PS4 only and ps3 is larger?

Metalmarc

No thanks not even for free

Not until every internet user in the world gets constant steady internet access with large upload speeds as well as at least 200mb constant download speed and very cheap

Ie probably not this generation nor the one after

Metalmarc

I think we need to make sony aware gakai is not viable this generation

I have tried cloud gaming on my 60mb connection its fast enough for downloads yet for cloud gaming....forget it
I don't believe gakai will be much better, even if there is there is still a huge percentage of gamers in the world still on 2mb or less

I guess they wont realise until the 10,000th complaint, oh well

I cant predict the future for real, but i can imagine that i can predict gakai is going to cause Major headaches, watch this space, when it happens i'll pull the post back up from the dead

Dated 7th nov 2013 at 10:53pm uk

OmegaDL50

9.5mm you mean? or was that PS4 only and ps3 is larger?

Nope, when ComputerBild did the PS4 break down they confirmed the PS4 drive cage will fit a 2.5'' Laptop HDD with a maximum size of 12.5mm.

The largest capacity 12.5mm laptop drive as far as I'm aware is only 1.5TB.

It was the PS3 that had a maximum HDD size of 9.5mm

I mean if Sony allowed 3.5'' external drives but lock them down for security purposes, that would solve the size issue, because with 50GB install or cache sizes, even 1.5TB seems rather small in comparison.

jett

D-Member
Life would be easier if Sony allowed us to install stuff to an external drive. Why do they even have USB 3.0 on that fucking thing? Doesn't even let us play audio or video files.

Savitar

Yeah, no, any game that did that I wouldn't touch at all.

They do realize some of us don't have the fastest net speeds at all if not crippling limits.

todd360

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY CLOUD!

I asked the Lord, "Who will this cloud come on?" Then I remembered the story of Joshua and Moses and how they would go into the tent of a meeting, the cloud would come down. It was in the glory cloud that Moses spoke to God face to face as a friend speaks to friend.

ps4 cloud lets us talk to god confirmed.

spwolf

Nope, when ComputerBild did the PS4 break down they confirmed the PS4 drive cage will fit a 2.5'' Laptop HDD with a maximum size of 12.5mm.

I mean if Sony allowed 3.5'' external drives but lock them down for security purposes, that would solve the size issue, because with 50GB install or cache sizes, even 1.5TB seems rather small in comparison.

largest 2.5" drive currently on sale is 1.5TB and is 9.5mm not 12.5mm.

You can "hack" it - simply run the cable to external raid array.... little bit more work but nothing crazy really.

Faustek

[nvm

Top Bottom