• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Does not work for me, I have 25$ from a gift card on my account, but if I want to buy a game (Metro 2033 Redux, which is 24,99) - it asks for a credit card for "paying the rest". Any help? Is it because of taxes or something?

Yep. Only like 7 of the states are free from sales tax. Problem is that you never know the actual final price of things in the US because tax is added when paying and not on the price tag itself. Sucks shit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To answer the questions in order:

It isn't.
Yes, it's the same account, it's just different billing information.
If signed in to Xbox Live, yes.

The loophole is indeed very handy.

Nice, thanks. That might tempt me to buy a second XB1 rather than a second PS4, simply because of the combination of splitting the cost across two consoles + US prices

Change the address!

When I first changed from Borderlinx to Oregon I had to actually remove the CC and re-add it with an Oregon address. I changed it back since the Borderlinx address is actually legit and is mine so shouldn't get me in any kind of trouble. It's not breaking the ToS in any way if the billing information "is accurate" which it now is.

Destiny pre-order edition in Hong Kong store is HK$390($50.3)
Destiny digital guardian edition in Hong Kong store is HK$559($72.1)

All are english version(well the game doesn't have chinese version)

V9JO6dx.jpg

bAzbWMV.jpg

jesu

Can someone tell me if this is correct please

1)I buy MS Digital gift cards from target.com and pay by paypal
2)Target email me the code
3)On my X1 I set my location to the US
4)I redeem the code I got from Target onto my xbl account on my X1
5)I buy the game from the US store

Is that it?
Is there something about sales taxes I'm missing?

besiktas1

Is that it?
Set your address to Portland. Shouldn't have any tax.

I wish EA access worked :(

blazeuk

Set your address to Portland. Shouldn't have any tax.

I wish EA access worked :(

Any reason you're wanting to pay for it on the US store? Prices are fairly similar ($30 vs £20) and EA Access seems to be linked to your account not your region, I bought my subscription from the UK store and if I switch to the US store the discount still applies to games, I've not actually bought any EA games from the US store but going through up to the payment screen the discount is still applied.

besiktas1

Any reason you're wanting to pay for it on the US store? Prices are fairly similar ($30 vs £20) and EA Access seems to be linked to your account not your region, I bought my subscription from the UK store and if I switch to the US store the discount still applies to games, I've not actually bought any EA games from the US store but going through up to the payment screen the discount is still applied.
I thought it was £30?!

besiktas1

Amazingly they actually give us a good price on something for a change, £19.99 here which is pretty fair when converting.
Smh,I'm an idiot. All this time trying and stressing for no reason.
What a deal. What a deal.
Just got it, even though I have them all other than madden, but as a UK man not following football having a year behind is no problem at all for me. I hope they give plants vs zombies and need for speed next. I expect ufc to come way later.
I'm voting with my wallet. Hope other publishers follow suite.
Ubisoft Vault would be amazing.

ohlawd

I remember trying to do this but instead of Xbox One, it's 360 and instead of buying something, it's tagging something from Games with Gold (Dishonored)

Doesn't work. Am I really shit out of luck in regards to that?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I read the OP but I still have this question. Sorry if already been asked.

So I am in Canada. I have 75$ in my US account (Thanks to Gamestop Promo lol). So i was trying to buy Destiny Guardian edition, which is 90$. I logged on to Xbox.com and changed the region on sire, and I can see $75 in credit, and rest I can pay by credit card.

My question is, I can just use my Visa card and address thats provided in the OP and buy the thing online a d it will appear on my console right? Or will I have to do some trick on my console to install this.

I hope its not like everytime I will have to switch region to play my these games. Otherwise its useless.

Alright this HK store thing is getting more crazy
Metro Redux Bundle only HK$197(US$25) lol

Lazy to check next time,so you guys can check out HK store every time,if a game you want to buy just released(use search to find if the game doesn't show up in store)

Flintty

I've been trying to get my credit card to work for hours but still no luck - I get an error code:

This payment option won't work. Use a different or new way to pay. If you have questions, please ask your bank.

CP205
f94cf7fb-3e91-4cca-bc48-2398c581a31e
2014/08/29 - 09:22:07 UTC

All this crap could be avoided if MS priced the games fairly in the UK in the first place! /rage

*update*
It finally worked. I had to change the address on both my account and the card to my UK address with the OR postal code and state :D

dolemite

I've been trying to get my credit card to work for hours but still no luck - I get an error code:

All this crap could be avoided if MS priced the games fairly in the UK in the first place! /rage

I would think the games are outrageously priced in the UK across all the platforms, not just on XBone.

Flintty

Thanks for the guidance OP, a great help! Having done this today, a friend is indicating that providing a fake address is illegal (fraud). I don't believe it's illegal but wondered what the GAF thoughts are?

jesu

Is that it?

Well I did that and set my account's address to the one in the op, and Destiny is now downloading.

I have a bad felling about this....

Guerrilla

Thanks for the guidance OP, a great help! Having done this today, a friend is indicating that providing a fake address is illegal (fraud). I don't believe it's illegal but wondered what the GAF thoughts are?

I don't think the address itself would be illegal, though circumventing taxes and customs in your own country might be. You are importing a product, so you are not paying your local vat, that's why you would have to pay your local customs which you are also not doing. Might be wrong though, I have no idea if digital goods are included in these laws...

Either way, there apparently is no economically justified way to check on that, since I and noone I know, has ever paid any tax/customs on foreign digital goods.

Sanpei

What about if we are sharing with a friend ? If i buy from another store with my us account, can i play the game ? My friend set my account on his xo as home and i did same with his account on my console

My accounts region is US...So if i buy a game from HK, can i still play it ? Maybe region is important for sharing accounts..Also,will my friend be able to download it from my account ?

What about if we are sharing with a friend ? If i buy from another store with my us account, can i play the game ? My friend set my account on his xo as home and i did same with his account on my console

My accounts region is US...So if i buy a game from HK, can i still play it ? Maybe region is important for sharing accounts..Also,will my friend be able to download it from my account ?

It is completely irrelevant. Doesn't matter.

Sanpei

Can i add points for HK Store or do i have to use credit card ?
Damn, this, my account has 180$ and i cannot use it when i switch region

yatesl

Still working fine then? Did anything come from that "Microsoft has region locked purchased games!" headline a few months ago?

Thinking about buying a $60 voucher from Amazon to use on the american marketplace for Fifa

Still working fine then? Did anything come from that "Microsoft has region locked purchased games!" headline a few months ago?

Thinking about buying a $60 voucher from Amazon to use on the american marketplace for Fifa

That region locking was about redeeming codes for games, not buying on other stores.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I read the OP but I still have this question. Sorry if already been asked.

So I am in Canada. I have 75$ in my US account (Thanks to Gamestop Promo lol). So i was trying to buy Destiny Guardian edition, which is 90$. I logged on to Xbox.com and changed the region on sire, and I can see $75 in credit, and rest I can pay by credit card.

My question is, I can just use my Visa card and address thats provided in the OP and buy the thing online a d it will appear on my console right? Or will I have to do some trick on my console to install this.

I hope its not like everytime I will have to switch region to play my these games. Otherwise its useless.

quick update on this. I just bought it from US store, and paid extra 15$ from Visa. Use the address provided in OP.

Destiny is installing right now. Will change my region back to Canada. Hopefully there won't be any problem.

Lima

Joke is on you. You can't.

Of course. You leave it empty and press the menu button to advance. The billing website doesn't even have a field for postal codes. They are not used in HK. I don't even know how you found an address that provided one.

Hammer24

Banned
EA Access now works international! :)
1. Link your PayPal to your MS account.
2. Change the console to the region of your country of residence.
3. Buy EA access.
4. Change back to the region of your choice.
Done!

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
This all worries me too much lol. has anyone actually got confirmation that this is ok todo??

I bought diablo 3 last night from the US store and I am pooing it. Do I have to re log into US account if i want to redownload it? or will it say I have purchased it when I am logged into the UK store.

I bought a gift card from amazon as i thought i wouldnt have to add an address to buy a game, but it still asked me for a billing address once i was on the US store. Now i have broken the T & C using the address in the OP.

Fingers crossed this is ok to do? :/

Lima

This all worries me too much lol. has anyone actually got confirmation that this is ok todo??

I bought diablo 3 last night from the US store and I am pooing it. Do I have to re log into US account if i want to redownload it? or will it say I have purchased it when I am logged into the UK store.

Of course it's not okay. You broke their TOS. If they want to ban you they will and there will be nothing you can do about it. We don't have any reports about it though and this method has been around since launch and of course has been going on for many years on the 360.

Regarding your second question you can actually redownload it from the UK store whenever you want.

KOHIPEET

Destiny pre-order edition in Hong Kong store is HK$390($50.3)
Destiny digital guardian edition in Hong Kong store is HK$559($72.1)

All are english version(well the game doesn't have chinese version)

What?
Is there some sort of guide on how to create an account and then a purchase?

Tak3n

Banned

I bought a gift card from amazon as i thought i wouldnt have to add an address to buy a game, but it still asked me for a billing address once i was on the US store. Now i have broken the T & C using the address in the OP.

Fingers crossed this is ok to do? :/

nobody knows in reality, we have had people ask MS and they have said it is ok to individuals...

But this is MS, and it is in the T+C's that they can act on it

2.5. What limitations apply to my access and use of Microsoft and third-party content?

We may disable access to Microsoft and third-party content associated with your account for any reason. We may also remove or disable games, applications, content, or Services... for example, if you change your account to another region you may need to re-purchase content or applications that were available to you and paid for in your previous region."

I live in Spain and I've been buying games from the US marketplace since launch and I haven't had a single problem downloading or redownloading games to my spanish account, so do my friends.

I really want to try buying Metro Redux for $27 (HK store), but I don't want to risk my account..

If they were to ban every Xbox user doing this MS would be screwed. They had to have known that making a console region free people would take advantage of cheaper prices.

Hammer24

Banned
If they were to ban every Xbox user doing this MS would be screwed. They had to have known that making a console region free people would take advantage of cheaper prices.

By now I see these "concerns" simply as FUD.
This has been promoted by MS for so long, there is no way they can go back on it. The backlash would be so hard they´d never recover from it.

EA Access now works international! :)
1. Link your PayPal to your MS account.
2. Change the console to the region of your country of residence.
3. Buy EA access.
4. Change back to the region of your choice.
Done!

I bought it on the US marketplace the day the beta came out.

Top Bottom