• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitbox.tv | Switch from Twitch

Nokterian

080d547d90b9623089ae2dd4334f63c2.png

With all the news around Twitch and there horrible delay's up to 60 seconds between caster and audience in this thread Twitch.tv update imposes delay up to 60s in streams, viewer interaction impacted

A gaffer posted this link from a new streaming service just 3 months old. Called Hitbox.tv.

I found a site to stream on. So far its way better than twitch. The quality of streaming is way better and there is no delay.

http://www.hitbox.tv/

*removed the link of the name but you can see it for your self. There still improving and i even posted on there facebook. And got a response that made me even more happy.

We are happy you enjoy our service. And we are actually working on lowering the delay even further :)

I tried it yesterday and a bunch of gaffers all ready made some channels. Pretty suprised also that with 1080p webcam and videogame are working flawless.

Here is mine :

www.hitbox.tv/Nokterian

Will add more streams to the list.
It is using OBS here are the guides how to make your own stream work.

How to Stream on Hitbox.tv
How to use OBS

Remember this is still in beta,i hope that they keep improving there service it could be very great. A good alternative from Twitch since they don't know what there doing at the moment there if you want a good stream.

Since people cannot read here is the blog post.

An introduction to our management

Hi folks!

This is Martin, CEO of hitbox. We have been online now for a few weeks with the beta of hitbox.tv, so I thought it was time to give you more insights into the management and the intentions behind hitbox.tv.

Our CTO, René, is our technical mastermind and has years of experience in the streaming business as he built up the core technology of own3D.tv and managed to create a platform which was considered one of the best at the time and delivered a service for thousands of streamers and millions of viewers. Being a hardcore gamer himself, his goal is to help eSports grow, to bring it in every livingroom not depending on where you are and to make it as big or even bigger than other sports. That was and still is his great vision.

Talking about myself, I bring a lot of financial experience to the table. I was working as a company auditor and as head of controlling in the headquarter of one of the largest financial institutions in Central and Eastern Europe. I was responsible for the whole planning and controlling processes, for the groups strategy and the competitive market analysis.

René and myself have been good friends for a long time. By the end of 2012 he approached me as he saw his life´s work endangered. He asked me to have a look into the figures of own3D and to restructure the company if necessary.

Being an eSports fanatic myself and given the opportunity to work in such a great project, I didn’t hesitate a second and became their CFO. However it didn´t take long to find out that the company was in trouble.

I think you guys know the main reasons why own3D failed. The company didn’t manage to scale its business and to grow with its viewers and size. What exactly does that mean?

Let me put it in simple terms: Having millions of viewers creating massive traffic brings you tons of costs. The company lacked funding and was stuck in bad contracts. That led to cost savings on the employers end and thus to a poor income management.
High costs + low income = a big problem

Given this situation the owners and investors of own3D tried their best to sell the company and to pay out all debts to its customers. We worked days and nights to get that deal done but our main target company surprisingly stepped away after 3 months of negotiations and due diligence. René lost his life´s work and a lot of streamers their money.

However, we still believe in eSports and our vision and just love watching awesome live content, so René and me decided to build up a new live streaming site putting together both technical know-how and business experience right from the get-go.

We believe that competition is good, even if we just give an impulse to the existing players to improve their service.

Still in beta and tons of tasks ahead, we love what we do and hope you give us a chance to prove that we know what we are doing. Having a great investor as partner and a super experienced infrastructure team on board, we are convinced that we can offer you a stable and reliable service, with great usability and some awesome new features.

So probably a few where from own3d.tv? I don't know never used it but at least their honest here. And i give them more credit at this point of making the streams work instead of the clusterfuck over at twitch.

Ashodin

It's time for a new service to rise above twitch. It's the gaming service we need, not the one anyone wants.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
We'll see what happens with Hitbox when there are millions and millions tuning in everyday.

Nokterian

This is from there blog...numbers don't lie.

1.700 streamer entered the challenge. They streamed for 20.000 hours and gathered 1.600.000 views and 1.150.000 messages written in the chat.

Link

Not bad..not bad at all i say.

Zemm

I'm not going to lie, I'll only move to Hitbox fully if all the streamers I watch/subscribe to move over as well. Could be a tall order since Destiny had problems with hitbox paying him the money he was owed so was forced to move back to Twitch. Twitch desperately need competition though so I'll definitely be checking out hitbox to see if there's any streams I'll be interested in watching, cheers!

Nokterian

I'm not going to lie, I'll only move to Hitbox fully if all the streamers I watch/subscribe to move over as well. Could be a tall order since Destiny had problems with hitbox paying him the money he was owed so was forced to move back to Twitch. Twitch desperately need competition though so I'll definitely be checking out hitbox to see if there's any streams I'll be interested in watching, cheers!

Destiny from what i read was having trouble with a person at own3d.tv. And this service is just 3 months in the making. yes they have someone on board who worked at own3d.tv but he does the infrastructure. Read there blogs.

Twitch has hundreds of thousands of users on it every day and has grown pretty fast. From a quick browse I would guess that this site has less than 5,000 users on it right now (and that's a really really high estimate).

I wonder why 1 is laggy and the other isn't.

A good alternative from Twitch since they don't know what there doing at the moment there if you want a good stream.

I've been watching streams all day in 1080p without issue. Yea the 60second delay thing is silly but it's not breaking.

El Sloth

Banned
Isn't it run by the same dude that was CFO of Own3d, who didn't pay their partnered streamers?
That's what this Reddit thread that came up in my google searches says about the site:
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1qv1de/
If people have fogotten, own3d owes people a LOT of money. I would be very hesitant to join them if you are interested in making money from their stream.

EDIT: They owe Destiny $20,000. Thats probably like 30-50% of his yearly income
According to SayOcean, CLG's manager, the team is still out over $100000 because Own3d couldn't pay them before going under. Just Doublelift is owed over $20k in stream revenue.

Edit: Oh, they actually talk about this in a blog post: http://blog.hitbox.tv/an-introduction-to-our-management/

Hitbox.tv said:
Hi folks!

This is Martin, CEO of hitbox. We have been online now for a few weeks with the beta of hitbox.tv, so I thought it was time to give you more insights into the management and the intentions behind hitbox.tv.

Our CTO, René, is our technical mastermind and has years of experience in the streaming business as he built up the core technology of own3D.tv and managed to create a platform which was considered one of the best at the time and delivered a service for thousands of streamers and millions of viewers. Being a hardcore gamer himself, his goal is to help eSports grow, to bring it in every livingroom not depending on where you are and to make it as big or even bigger than other sports. That was and still is his great vision.

Talking about myself, I bring a lot of financial experience to the table. I was working as a company auditor and as head of controlling in the headquarter of one of the largest financial institutions in Central and Eastern Europe. I was responsible for the whole planning and controlling processes, for the groups strategy and the competitive market analysis.

René and myself have been good friends for a long time. By the end of 2012 he approached me as he saw his life´s work endangered. He asked me to have a look into the figures of own3D and to restructure the company if necessary.

Being an eSports fanatic myself and given the opportunity to work in such a great project, I didn’t hesitate a second and became their CFO. However it didn´t take long to find out that the company was in trouble.

I think you guys know the main reasons why own3D failed. The company didn’t manage to scale its business and to grow with its viewers and size. What exactly does that mean?

Let me put it in simple terms: Having millions of viewers creating massive traffic brings you tons of costs. The company lacked funding and was stuck in bad contracts. That led to cost savings on the employers end and thus to a poor income management.
High costs + low income = a big problem

Given this situation the owners and investors of own3D tried their best to sell the company and to pay out all debts to its customers. We worked days and nights to get that deal done but our main target company surprisingly stepped away after 3 months of negotiations and due diligence. René lost his life´s work and a lot of streamers their money.

However, we still believe in eSports and our vision and just love watching awesome live content, so René and me decided to build up a new live streaming site putting together both technical know-how and business experience right from the get-go.

We believe that competition is good, even if we just give an impulse to the existing players to improve their service.

Still in beta and tons of tasks ahead, we love what we do and hope you give us a chance to prove that we know what we are doing. Having a great investor as partner and a super experienced infrastructure team on board, we are convinced that we can offer you a stable and reliable service, with great usability and some awesome new features.

I guess they're hoping people are willing to give the guy one more chance.

fader

Twitch has hundreds of thousands of users on it every day and has grown pretty fast. From a quick browse I would guess that this site has less than 5,000 users on it right now.

lol yea and people will go over till hitbox until it lags then look for a new service.

sangreal

Twitch has hundreds of thousands of users on it every day and has grown pretty fast. From a quick browse I would guess that this site has less than 5,000 users on it right now (and that's a really really high estimate).

so? Am I supposed to feel sorry for them? Twitch's failure to scale their infrastructure against booming popularity is their fault and not something to hold against less popular alternatives.

Will support hitbox even if I end up not liking it, tired of these monopolies forming with twitch and youtube, support alternatives guys!

notworksafe

Tbf it's not like I'll ever be partnered, so I'd probably make an account there if they were added to Xsplit settings. I liked the quality of own3d's streams.

OP: 'they're' and 'their'. Nothing personal, but the repeated use of 'there' is becoming grating.

Own3D worked better in 1 year than Twitch/Justin.tv did (especially in Europe) during the entirety of its existence even when Riot was pimping it for League of Legends tournaments back in the day, with more viewers flocking to Own3D by a large margin (100k or more difference at times) as a result. Own3D's overall video quality was significantly better too.

Even without current competition, the only thing Twitch did right is doing a bang-up job at making themselves look like amateurs. The site has only been going backwards for a long while now (no matter how many investments they receive) and I can only hope hitbox.tv ends up pulling off similar results with the same "technical wizards" involved, if only for the sake of actual progress.

I've been watching streams all day in 1080p without issue. Yea the 60second delay thing is silly but it's not breaking.
My heart's fine

Nokterian

Someone's gotta get Spooky to make the switch

Welp, nevermind. Fuck this site.

Again read the blog i posted they made mistakes in the past by the looks of it but i am more excited that this is working without hassle and interaction between caster and audience with no delay.

OP: 'they're' and 'their'. Nothing personal, but the repeated use of 'there' is becoming grating.

Own3D worked better in 1 year than Twitch/Justin.tv did (especially in Europe) during the entirety of its existence even when Riot was pimping it for League of Legends tournaments back in the day, with more viewers flocking to Own3D by a large margin (100k or more difference at times) as a result. Own3D's overall video quality was significantly better too.

Even without current competition, the only thing Twitch did right is doing a bang-up job at making themselves look like amateurs. The site has only been going backwards for a long while now (no matter how many investments they receive) and I can only hope hitbox.tv ends up pulling off similar results with the same "technical wizards" involved, if only for the sake of actual progress.

I'm not crying for Twitch. I just haven't had streaming problems others have had minus a few occasions. I think it's good for there to be another service to create some competition between the two I was just pointing out the OP talking about lag. And as far as "large margins" Twitch at any time during tournaments is probably handling over a million viewers across all their games on the big weekends.

Plus all the stuff that others are posting about this supposed CEO still owing tens of thousands of dollars to streamers doesn't sound very promising.

Zios

Banned
Cant stand Twitch.tv admins who impose their rules whenever they feel like and let others (partners) slide all the time. Two entertaining channels I followed where shutdown because of "non gaming content" while its ok for the partners to show cooking, afk streaming for hours, roll up blunts to smoke, house cleaning, or just treat twitch like facetime.

As Much as Twitch is not a great service, it still has a ton of streamers that I watch/subscribe to. Until those people switch, I'm not going to either.

I'm not crying for Twitch. I just haven't had streaming problems others have had minus a few occasions. I think it's good for there to be another service to create some competition between the two I was just pointing out the OP talking about lag. And as far as "large margins" Twitch at any time during tournaments is probably handling over a million viewers across all their games on the big weekends.

Plus all the stuff that others are posting about this supposed CEO still owing tens of thousands of dollars to streamers doesn't sound very promising.
I was talking about tournaments within the same timespan prior to the whole esports boom that's going on today. Guess I should've clarified that.

Except a while back even with a lot less viewers Twitch still ran like shit for a good chunk of their viewers; performance issues that still haven't been fixed. All they've provided us in the mean time is worse or removed functionality, empty promises concerning improved stability and announcements about having acquired millions of dollars from outside sources. They have over 5 - 6 years of experience: supposed explosive growth or not, if Twitch still can't get it right at this point then I have no hope for their future prospects.

No comment on the CEO or whatever that's in charge of hitbox.tv's management. There's no excusing what happened with Own3D's money situation either way.

Venfayth

I have not had a good experience with hitbox so far. I did a stream earlier and experienced about a 17 second (roughly timed with a stopwatch) delay to my chat. This is not mentioning the video problems I had, I was unable to stream at 720p30fps 2000 bitrate. XSplit was not dropping frames but my feed was stuttering pretty badly.

Will mess with settings more, and maybe I was just streaming during primetime or was connected to a bad server, but I'd really like a good alternative to Twitch and I have not had a good experience with hitbox just yet.

Anecdote: After switching back to Twitch for my stream, my delay to chat was about 27 seconds.

Marjar

Banned
I'm trying to watch a stream and it's not even loading for me. :/

Oh now it's working.

Yeah it seems a little finicky.

dtg

Neo Member
Anyone else who doesn't have a scroll wheel on their mouse, can you scroll down on the main page at all? I've tried in two different browsers and I can't scroll anywhere because there is no scroll bar on the side.

Page up and Page down don't work, and neither do the arrow keys.

Nokterian

Anyone else who doesn't have a scroll wheel on their mouse, can you scroll down on the main page at all? I've tried in two different browsers and I can't scroll anywhere because there is no scroll bar on the side.

Page up and Page down don't work, and neither do the arrow keys.

You can scroll doesn't go fast yet but when you put your mouse to the right a small bar will appear.

None of the streams work for me, the player just does not want to play.

Archived videos are fine, but I can't fire up any streams.

dtg

Neo Member
You can scroll doesn't go fast yet but when you put your mouse to the right a small bar will appear.

on the home page I don't get any scroll bar at all. Only on the streamers page. I want to send them feedback but I can't click on the link at the bottom of the page.

Top Bottom