• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitbox.tv | Switch from Twitch

The chat delay is a real bummer for certain streams on Twitch, and like others have said, a little competition is certainly not a bad thing. There are certain days that Twitch just wants to act like a piece of junk and constantly buffer every 5 seconds.

I don't have issues with Twitch anymore. After the death of Own3d, they went through a shitty growing phase where most streams were completely unwatchable. But they grew their infrastructure and I very rarely see problems anymore. I also don't give a flying fuck about interacting with broadcasters, so the delay is no issue.

Quick question: why are we looking to these startups to offer competition to twitch rather than YouTube? Don't they have live streaming?

I feel like youtube would be great competition for twitch.tv but as soon as their established hundreds of thousands of gamers decide to stream with already established subscribers it will be hard to breakthrough.

Hitbox you have a fresh chance and you can get involved on making the site better more efficient , plus it runs sooooooooooooooo much smoother then twitch.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
080d547d90b9623089ae2dd4334f63c2.png

Biggup to Nokterian for the heads up on this service. When I start streaming again I am going to try this :)

I checked this out before but today I gave it a go myself, it's nice to have near chat reaction times over the delayed twitch chat i've become used too, everything loads up nice and fast too.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ahh, what the hell. I'll give it a shot too. Should be interesting~ Competition is nothing but a good thing, and if this does indeed grow to be a thing, sure it'll be interesting to jump aboard early.

yeah, it's really friggin good and it's exciting because twitch feels like a place for established streamers and it's pure luck to get a break there at least with hitbox your luck chances are a bit higher since the top streams are usually at most 200 viewers or less so if you can manage to string 3000 a day you could be a heavy hitter on that site lol

As shitty as Twitch has become with the 20+ second chat-to-streamer delay and the site seemingly having issues everyday now with chat messages randomly getting eaten by the server, nothing is going to change until one of these sites signs a big Twitch streamer to a guaranteed contract switch.

As shitty as Twitch has become with the 20+ second chat-to-streamer delay and the site seemingly having issues everyday now with chat messages randomly getting eaten by the server, nothing is going to change until one of these sites signs a big Twitch streamer to a guaranteed contract switch.

I think they need more than one streamer. They'd need to convince a ton of them, and a ton of video game companies (maybe just LoL) to use Hitbox.

Some individuals pull in 15k-20k on subs. It's going to be hard to take them away from the existing Twitch userbase.

Also, nothing guarantees Hitbox won't become the new chat delay stream in years to come.

W1SSY

A couple days ago one of the Dota 2 tournaments used Hitbox and I thought it was horrible. It could have been an issue with the person that setup the stream
sheever
but it was freezing every couple of seconds. I don't have an issue with twitch but on hitbox it was impossible to watch.

Made an account and tested out the streaming on this service a while back.

Can't remember if it good or not.

Y'all defo wanna watch me start Demon's Souls for the first time on there, right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!?

This works with OBS? And has no 30s delay?

I might have to give it a shot soon...

yeah hitbox.tv is supported in OBS, just go to your stream settings and pick it from the drop box then enter your stream key.

I may have to start streaming my arkham asylum speed runs on hitbox to see what sort of crowd I can pull, twitch nets me about 6-9 users weekdays.

marrec

Banned
Hmm...

Anyway I could stream to Twitch and Hitbox at the same time via OBS? I really want to try out Hitbox, but I don't want to make any possible switch TOO harsh on my viewers.

Hmm...

Anyway I could stream to Twitch and Hitbox at the same time via OBS? I really want to try out Hitbox, but I don't want to make any possible switch TOO harsh on my viewers.

Right now you would have to run two instances of OBS setting each one up but OBS is not very good at remembering two login details without removing the older key when you change it.

Not sure if xsplit can multi stream, been a while since I used it even though I have a pro license.

BraXzy

We'll see what happens with Hitbox when there are millions and millions tuning in everyday.

Yeah. People forget that Twitch has been using more Bandwidth than Google? recently. Of course it isn't the best service in terms of quality and delay. The second one of these other contenders becomes big and it gets huge traffic it'll be the same situation.

Yeah. People forget that Twitch has been using more Bandwidth than Google? recently. Of course it isn't the best service in terms of quality and delay. The second one of these other contenders becomes big and it gets huge traffic it'll be the same situation.

It might turn out to be a completely different back end though, I think the twitch methods save them on server cpu more then bandwidth although their low quality setting is something to behold, they also had that quality setting stuff in place about 2 years ago for mobile and stick with it, hitbox might have other ideas.

Saying that though hitbox works on iOS through the browser without a problem, the video will pop out to full screen like a youtube video.

thefil

I don't know where all the Twitch animosity comes from. They are trying to do something that is likely impossible - run a streaming platform on primarily ad revenue without going bankrupt. The recent delay introduction was a very real need given their ridiculous growth rate and reduced their traffic significantly without increasing costs.

I am all for competition, but I wouldn't be surprised if hit box runs into the same difficulties when they leave their upstart phase and enter rampant growth.

Also, most of the streamers I watch that are partnered seem very happy with the way they are treated by Twitch, and that's no small thing given the scale.

Twitch changed to a video system that intentionally created a huge ass delay from chat to streamer. They knew what a gigantic delay this was going to cause beforehand and still went forward with the system because it mostly benefitted those huge ass League of Legends tournaments that didn't focus on the chat anyways. But this delay is really harmful to mid-level streamers on down. The chat having to wait 20-30 seconds to see what the streamer does or hear what the streamer says is awful. It completely kills chat interaction. The previous delay before the changes in December was only about 5-6 seconds. Once again, Twitch knowingly knew this was a shortcoming with the system and rolled it out anyways. That's where a lot of the negativity comes from lately.

A stream delay was not a "very real need" for anything. It was simply a side effect to their new system, which they chose to roll out with the flaw instead of fixing it up beforehand.

Nokterian

Hmm...

Not gonna work got 2 profiles and i can switch between hitbox and switch.

Nokterian

A couple days ago one of the Dota 2 tournaments used Hitbox and I thought it was horrible. It could have been an issue with the person that setup the stream
sheever
but it was freezing every couple of seconds. I don't have an issue with twitch but on hitbox it was impossible to watch.

I tried some stream tests before i made the thread with the debacle from twitch. But from my tests what i tried and have shown my stream to a few gaffers and no stutter what so ever but yeah depends if they did the proper settings that's important.

marrec

Banned
Not gonna work got 2 profiles and i can switch between hitbox and switch.

It sounds like it would be too much of a hassle to get a stream going to both sites from one box. I'll probably just see if one of my co-casters can stream out to Hitbox while I stream out to Twitch.

WillyFive

Right now you would have to run two instances of OBS setting each one up but OBS is not very good at remembering two login details without removing the older key when you change it.

Not sure if xsplit can multi stream, been a while since I used it even though I have a pro license.

Yep, XSplit can multistream.

Nokterian

It sounds like it would be too much of a hassle to get a stream going to both sites from one box. I'll probably just see if one of my co-casters can stream out to Hitbox while I stream out to Twitch.

And you need around 80% of your upload to stream. So 2 streams is just to mutch.

marrec

Banned
And you need around 80% of your upload to stream. So 2 streams is just to mutch.

Well, I'm going to give it a try to just see how it will preform by running multiple instances of OBS (adding -multi to the shortcut) with two different profiles but I imagine that the performance hit would be double that of my normal stream.

kick51

Banned
the delay is down to around 20 seconds with further improvements coming, which is nice

But archive quality and streaming is awful and does not seem to have improved much. my speedruns look all spliced up lol

not really enough to make a switch though. Competition could spur twitch to move a little faster though, which would be nice.

the delay is down to around 20 seconds with further improvements coming, which is nice

But archive quality and streaming is awful and does not seem to have improved much. my speedruns look all spliced up lol

not really enough to make a switch though. Competition could spur twitch to move a little faster though, which would be nice.

The best my delay has ever been since the new video system rolled out is 18 seconds, which is still triple what it used to be.

marrec

Banned

Our podcast was delayed upwards of 1.5 minutes last night with some awful buffering for some viewers. I can see this not being an issue for someone who just gets Kappa spam all the time, but the 10-20 people who show up to watch our podcast get recorded live are kind of fun to interact with and a delay of anything more than 20 seconds makes that impossible.

If Hitbox.tv works without delay, then I'm switching.

Samus4145

I've been testing hitbox on and off for the past few weeks. At times it runs smoothly, but others it hitched and stuttered although there were no dropped frames in OBS and CPU usage was no where near 100%.

Since I have a great upload, I may try and having two instance of OBS open and seeing what happens when trying hitbox and twitch.

Nokterian

It was even further down low as 2 to 10 seconds delay.

Read here http://blog.hitbox.tv/an-update-to-our-streaming-service-and-a-look-into-the-future/

ViciousDS

Banned
Guess I'll make the move as well, will probably stream some Warframe and maybe even some Outlast tonight since I have yet to even start it......I'm going to scream like a little girl on the internet.....lol great.........time to grab the old splitter again.

Dusk Golem

My first test went well, a few things to iron out, but a lot of the current stuff is very nice. Delay is fantastic, chat is fine, recordings came out good. Going to be testing again tonight with playing Haunting Ground, but I do encourage others to try it and see if it fits you, even though in beta right now. http://www.hitbox.tv/AestheticGamer

neto

Tried to stream to hitbox and got some sync issues with the audio and video, everything is fine on twitch with the same settings, I'm using OBS, does this happen to anyone else?

phorrest

Neo Member
Tried to stream to hitbox and got some sync issues with the audio and video, everything is fine on twitch with the same settings, I'm using OBS, does this happen to anyone else?

I tried using hitbox for the first time today and it looks like I have the same problem. Nobody said anything during the stream, but the desyncing is pretty bad when I check the VOD.

Dusk Golem

As a heads-up, if you guys are talking about audio-sync when you look at the videos on the recorded tab, this is some strange issue right now not with the stream, but the videos in the recorded section. Stranger is that if you then publish the video or a clip of it to your public videos, the audio will be synced again. Its only desynced in the recorded videos section. I am guessing its some kind of bug in the beta right now.

As a heads-up, if you guys are talking about audio-sync when you look at the videos on the recorded tab, this is some strange issue right now not with the stream, but the videos in the recorded section. Stranger is that if you then publish the video or a clip of it to your public videos, the audio will be synced again. Its only desynced in the recorded videos section. I am guessing its some kind of bug in the beta right now.

Audio is also deysnced if you download the archive video.

I streamed my speedrun of arkham asylum yesterday and had 6 viewers, woop.

Dusk Golem

They seem to be updating the site a lot today. Chat is right now sufferring some slowness for it, but now things like images and videos can be embedded into the chat by mods. One of my mods also noted she can now edit my profile, which is strange and I'm guessing a glitch.

Audio is also deysnced if you download the archive video.

I streamed my speedrun of arkham asylum yesterday and had 6 viewers, woop.

Should first process it as a video to your video feed (away from recordings) and then download it from there. If you don't want it as a public video on Hitbox can then delete it afterwards.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
twitch has the 60 sec delay because of traffic problems, right? so if this service gets popular wouldnt they have the same problems? i guess it could be like youtube and vimeo though. vimeo can support high quality video because they dont have as much traffic.

Okay, I was looking forward to trying this out, but what the hell is with the login?

I signed up, but once I logged out, I can't log back in. I change my password, yet still can't login. Told every time that my password and username doesn't match.

?

edit: It appears you can't save your password and have to manually type all the info in each time you login. Very odd.

gogosox8

I've subbed to some of you guys in the thread. I'm not into streaming but like watching a good stream. Hopefully more people sign up and give it a shot.

Okay, I was looking forward to trying this out, but what the hell is with the login?

I signed up, but once I logged out, I can't log back in. I change my password, yet still can't login. Told every time that my password and username doesn't match.

?

edit: It appears you can't save your password and have to manually type all the info in each time you login. Very odd.

Yeah, I'm having the same problem; a real annoyance since I use a password manager and generator, so it's not typically something I would be able to remember off-hand.

Top Bottom