• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAV KickStarter - ChromeHounds Lives Again

wwm0nkey

KickStarter:

KickStarter Link

Goal: $25,000 / $20,000
[125% funded]

*$20 and above tier get you the game after the Kickstarter ends!

WHAT IS M.A.V?
M.A.V. is a 3rd person action game where you pilot a massive robot in battles with your friends or computer controlled players. You build up your own MAV before taking it for the ultimate test in battle.

• Hundreds of parts to build with
  • Strategic team play
  • Massive weapon variety
  • Arena game mode for fast action
  • Dedicated servers
  • Frequent updates add new gameplay

Watch the Latest Video!

Online Multiplayer:

• Arena Mode:
    Arena mode is pure combat with no fluff. It's a free for all and the combat is much more fast paced. A great place to blow up some mechs and a great entry into the game
  • Siege Mode :
    Siege mode is a strategic team based game that focuses on destroying the other teams base before they can do the same to you. Planning your course of attack and working together will ensure your victory!
  • Campaign Mode :
    Campaign mode is a persistent war to conquer territories. It adds a vast metagame to the battles, with each battle having a direct and measurable outcome. Plan your missions carefully, as each outcome will not only affect the territories on the map, but also the contents of your teams bank account. You will have to balance your strategy with the amount of resources you have. You will be able to form alliances, hire mercenaries, research new parts, and strive to take over the whole map.

The campaign mode is the heart of what M.A.V. is about. A persistent battle, with multiple factions fighting it out for complete control. In this mode, everything is on the line and everything can affect the outcome. The world map is a dynamic map showing the current status of the game areas.

When you enter the war, you will have to choose to either join a rebel faction, or you can try to start up a new faction. Starting a new faction is a difficult, but rewarding task, as you must venture out and conquer a territory on your own.

Once you have your first territory, you will start to gather resources from it. Different territories will provide different amounts of resources and you can be sure the most valuable will be the most sought after. It is important to protect your conquered areas, so you will be able to build defensive structures in your territories, as well as add additional buildings and technology to increase their resource production. With enough resources and time, you can even build and deploy offensive structures, like a massive rail gun, which can then be used to help defend or conquer neighboring territories.

World events will dramatically change the way the battle plays out. Whether it be that you choose to fight in the daylight, or try to deploy covertly under the darkness of night, or maybe a storm comes in affecting the visibility of the map. The U.E.C might deploy a reinforcement drop ship, right into your territory, forcing you into battle but presenting the opportunity to salvage some of their advanced technology.

Every game will play out differently, every battle will have a story, and every faction will have a struggle to the top. It's up to you to lead them there!
Greenlight:
c8030c1470d20776594990b6117a3b51_large.png

Greenlight Link

Screenshots:
Links:
Bombdogstudios Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and Forums. Also check out the ChromeHounds Memorial Battle

Only $20,000 though?

Considering what the man has done in the past year and a half on his own, I'd say that's a low estimate but it depends entirely on what he's going for.

His plan for the campaign mode would require some non-trivial costs to maintaining the resources to run that, I imagine.

The previous thread is a good showcase of progress from the last 16 months or so.

I think the Alpha is peachy keen already and will throw down 20 as a show of support and hope, here.

Good luck, Cyberdogs.

wwm0nkey

Considering what the man has done in the past year and a half on his own, I'd say that's a low estimate but it depends entirely on what he's going for.

His plan for the campaign mode would require some non-trivial costs to maintaining the resources to run that, I imagine.

The previous thread is a good showcase of progress from the last 16 months or so.

I think the Alpha is peachy keen already and will throw down 20 as a show of support and hope, here.

Good luck, Cyberdogs.
Ah the good ole days

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Hey, I am a bit swamped in emails right now but I wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU to everyone that backed the project and has been following me for as long as you have.

Since I am here, I will answer a few of the things I have seen posted.

Is $20k enough?

For my needs, yes. I have not taken a profit from M.A.V. since I started it and I don't plan to start with the kickstarter. I have contacted several artists about costs and have worked out deals and estimates on that. I have contacted Elliot Lilly for concepts, http://www.eliottlillyart.com/, as I have worked with him and he already did some of the concepts. I contacted Alan Van Ryzin about modeling, http://polygoo.com/, because I saw the work he did with us on F.E.A.R.3 and his hawken mechs are awesome, and I have also contacted a sound designer / composer.

On going costs, there will be some but they are designed to be minimal. You will be able to host your own servers, so if I do fail, you can keep the game going (no repeat of chromehounds).

Also, thank you very much wwm0nkey for being awesome and creating this thread!

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
For my needs, yes. I have not taken a profit from M.A.V. since I started it and I don't plan to start with the kickstarter. I have contacted several artists about costs and have worked out deals and estimates on that. I have contacted Elliot Lilly for concepts, http://www.eliottlillyart.com/, as I have worked with him and he already did some of the concepts. I contacted Alan Van Ryzin about modeling, http://polygoo.com/, because I saw the work he did with us on F.E.A.R.3 and his hawken mechs are awesome, and I have also contacted a sound designer / composer.
Wow, Alan modeled almost all of the Hawken mechs. Great work. Hawkens mech designs are very iconic. Do you know if he also designed them?

On going costs, there will be some but they are designed to be minimal. You will be able to host your own servers, so if I do fail, you can keep the game going (no repeat of chromehounds).

Oh my god.

Between this and the Golden Mech trolling from MWO, you are my new favorite person.

Steel

Banned
I notice the project doesn't have stretch goals posted(Yet?), but mentioned that ps4/xb1 versions were a possibility if funding reached certain levels. About what level of funding would that be?

The game is a fair amount of the way to completion already, if that makes you feel better.

If it helps you can play the game after the Kickstarter ends, it will be the Alpha but currently the alpha is a lot of fun :)

(Also when it passes Greenlight you get a Steam key)

This does make me feel better, with kickstarter I'm always afraid Ill be paying for something that never gets made.

Orayn

Backed at $15 and made an actual serious tweet about it on my ~1000 follower parody Twitter account. Go M.A.V.!

Backed $20 !

Cant wait to mod this and add the unforgetabble "Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online, all systems nominal !"

backed! $20

first kickstarted i've ever backed. As long as i get 1/10th of the nostalgia, it will be money well spent.

will there be HEAVY GUNNER role types? or something like it?

just wanna sit in something powerful and just shoot crapload of missiles from afar. sure i will be a stationary target, but i will go down in flames and enjoy every second of it.

wwm0nkey

backed! $20

first kickstarted i've ever backed. As long as i get 1/10th of the nostalgia, it will be money well spent.

will there be HEAVY GUNNER role types? or something like it?

just wanna sit in something powerful and just shoot crapload of missiles from afar. sure i will be a stationary target, but i will go down in flames and enjoy every second of it.
Yes, you also now have deployables like turrets and ammo for your team. (Coming later)

wwm0nkey

Actually those are both already in the game! As well as a deployable 'wall' for defense.

Oh, well serves me right for trying to get a perfect Rocket mav, should probably explore the other types. Rockets are strong and kill weapons but man I need a support for resupply.

Mechazawa

If there ever was a Kickstarter someone should be comfortable backing, this might be the one. I've been hearing about the development of this game for a while, along with the various builds he put out, so he's already got the work to show for it.

Cronee

Never played chromehounds but I love mech games. I've supported MWO and Hawken so I feel I should support MAV as well. You can never have too many mech games. Especially since MWO is basically a turd circling the bowl at the moment.

Steel

Banned
This isn't a ChromeHounds game and From Software isn't involved at all.

Kinda skeptical with it being one guy and all.

Everything you see in the videos on this page is already completed. It was already in buyable Alpha before this(You could even try it for free). You will get a game out of this at the end of the kickstarter if you pay money. He just needs a bit more money to get closer to what Chromehounds was.

Mudcrab

This isn't a ChromeHounds game and From Software isn't involved at all.

Kinda skeptical with it being one guy and all.

I bought this way back and am super impressed with what this one guy has already done.

All I need is some more people to shell in my chicken-legged howitzer platform.

wwm0nkey

When it releases for everyone else anyone want to do a GAF server fight? I need to test out my mid ranged rocket MAV on some of you.

Orayn

When it releases for everyone else anyone want to do a GAF server fight? I need to test out my mid ranged rocket MAV on some of you.

Personally, I'm hoping for either a Slacker Backer setup or Early Access on Steam so I can wrangle up a bunch of people from a Steam group I admin and have a big chaotic fight.

wwm0nkey

Personally, I'm hoping for either a Slacker Backer setup or Early Access on Steam so I can wrangle up a bunch of people from a Steam group I admin and have a big chaotic fight.

Im pretty sure Cyberdog will be reselling the game at a slightly higher price on his site again immediately after the kickstarter ends, so you can just get you and your friends to get it on Kickstarter now and get your key on March and just wait until the Steam keys hit and you will get those for free too.

Steel

Banned

Sure why not. Gonna have to make equivalents of my old chromehounds mech designs first though.

wwm0nkey

$6k now, so its slowing down but it should still easily reach its goal.

I think maybe a pure gameplay video on the Kickstarter itself might help people decide if they want to back this or not

$6k now, so its slowing down but it should still easily reach its goal.

I think maybe a pure gameplay video on the Kickstarter itself might help people decide if they want to back this or not

yeah i want to see some slight gameplay with the different classes to get an idea of mechanical aspects of it.

i wonder how balanced the customization aspect is. I remember spending 3/4 of my time playing chromehounds just modifying every single aspect of my CH mech and tweaking after every battle.

I also remember hilarious getups trying to manouver armor plates around other modules and flipping upside down and sideways to hide the cockpit as much as possible

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
I saw there was a desire to see just pure gameplay, so I made a raw, uncut, video of me playing around in the garage and deploying into 2 maps.

This will show the exact current state of the game, as it is currently available to people that backed before the kickstarter went out.

Please remember I am running the kickstarter to get some help, but critique on the video is welcome. I have developed thick skin over the past 2 years ;)

M.A.V. Gameplay

Top Bottom