• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAV KickStarter - ChromeHounds Lives Again

KissVibes

Banned
Sound effects sound like they were ripped directly out of ArmA.

Edit: Not saying they were but are they coming from some licensing house?

Corto

This thread remembered me that Pylon is banned... Shit. He championed this game like no other. Just upvoted on Steam and pledged for the 20$ tier.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Sound effects sound like they were ripped directly out of ArmA.

Edit: Not saying they were but are they coming from some licensing house?

They are purchased sound stock, some public domain, with a little editing here and there.

I do everything legit ;)

[Also, I have a proper sound engineer on hold for after the kickstarter to do all the sound effects properly. I will also be writing a custom sound engine soon because the default system in unity is crap.]

Palmer_v1

Backed for 20! I can't resist some Chrome Hounds love.

Edit: and shared on facebook. First time I've ever done that for a project.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
cyberdogs, will we be able to share and save fits with friends? will you have super weapons? (boss types)

Yes! Right now the way to do it is a bit lame, but that is just because there is not an in-game friends list (yet). There is a whole board dedicated to sharing on the main site, http://mav.bombdogstudios.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=3196dc530e579a8d8c037d11858e8440

Also, boss type will be in, but be different. You need to build them (so they are custom, just like you) and pay to deploy them. They are not random events like Chromehounds (I know not random, but you get what i am saying)

wwm0nkey

Yes! Right now the way to do it is a bit lame, but that is just because there is not an in-game friends list (yet). There is a whole board dedicated to sharing on the main site, http://mav.bombdogstudios.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=3196dc530e579a8d8c037d11858e8440

Also, boss type will be in, but be different. You need to build them (so they are custom, just like you) and pay to deploy them. They are not random events like Chromehounds (I know not random, but you get what i am saying)
Huh I didn't know you got to build them, that's awesome!

Also as for war mode will there be an end game? Like will there be an end to the war and a start of a new one?

Klyka

Banned
Wait,this literally looks like Chromehounds. Like,it might as well be Chromehounds ported to PC. Is that what this is?

wwm0nkey

Wait,this literally looks like Chromehounds. Like,it might as well be Chromehounds ported to PC. Is that what this is?

Well he did say if he ever gets hold of the trademark....

Also Kotaku picked up the kickstarter and newest video so there should be a spike in the Kickstarter.

Seems like the new video helped a lot.

Steel

Banned
Thing I'm curious about is what went into the decision to have player-made factions. I mean, I like the idea on paper, though it just didn't work well at all in Armored Core V. Just wondering how it will be implemented better in this.

wwm0nkey

Thing I'm curious about is what went into the decision to have player-made factions. I mean, I like the idea on paper, though it just didn't work well at all in Armored Core V. Just wondering how it will be implemented better in this.
Yeah that's one thing I'm wondering as well. It would be cool but it has to work perfectly

Also $9k!

cyberdogs7

Neo Member

Great question!

Really, it has 2 points to it. Estimated server populations and Meta game depth.

Server populations

This is the hardest to gauge, but my estimates are a server will have between 16 players (small group of friends) to ~200 players (large site, like a GAF server). Remember, it is NOT an MMO, so more like a minecraft server. With these server sizes, players breaking up into groups will likely equalize into 4-5 main factions, with smaller ones popping up every now and then.

Meta game depth

Because players can create factions, there can be a whole other level of play at the faction level. Factions can be defeated and never come back, or maybe a faction will split and go into civil war. Think of factions like a guild in other games.

One of the other ways I am trying to tackle the unknown size of servers is to have a server adjustable map size. So a small server would fight over 6 territories, but a large server could have 600. After a certain point, there would be level map reuse, but I think it is a viable solution.

Steel

Banned
Great question!

Really, it has 2 points to it. Estimated server populations and Meta game depth.

Server populations

This is the hardest to gauge, but my estimates are a server will have between 16 players (small group of friends) to ~200 players (large site, like a GAF server). Remember, it is NOT an MMO, so more like a minecraft server. With these server sizes, players breaking up into groups will likely equalize into 4-5 main factions, with smaller ones popping up every now and then.

Meta game depth

Because players can create factions, there can be a whole other level of play at the faction level. Factions can be defeated and never come back, or maybe a faction will split and go into civil war. Think of factions like a guild in other games.

One of the other ways I am trying to tackle the unknown size of servers is to have a server adjustable map size. So a small server would fight over 6 territories, but a large server could have 600. After a certain point, there would be level map reuse, but I think it is a viable solution.

That brings me to a couple of other questions I had. What will happen to a player-made factions territory if no one's online? Will other players just be able to take it through computer matches?

Also, if you go from server to server in this, will your in-game rank transfer with you?

And thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

will there be water areas? chromehounds has rivers and stuff that affected gameplay ina strategic manner. i remember your weapons dint work while submerged, so you had to plan out getting into the water while under enemy fire if the map was divided by a river. i also liked to use it to hide from enemies and let them pass me by until they were a nice enough distance away and i pelted them from behind.

will you also have destroyable environments? i think everyone here enjoyed the gas manufacturing sites with the huge refinery balls that blew up in an amazing fireball that destroyed or did massive damage to any mech that was within vicinity

wwm0nkey

will there be water areas? chromehounds has rivers and stuff that affected gameplay ina strategic manner. i remember your weapons dint work while submerged, so you had to plan out getting into the water while under enemy fire if the map was divided by a river. i also liked to use it to hide from enemies and let them pass me by until they were a nice enough distance away and i pelted them from behind.

will you also have destroyable environments? i think everyone here enjoyed the gas manufacturing sites with the huge refinery balls that blew up in an amazing fireball that destroyed or did massive damage to any mech that was within vicinity
Gas sites and destructible buildings are in. Rivers are not in yet.

Vic20

Folks, M.A.V. is half way to its initial goal in its first 5 days! Please consider helping it over the finish line! :)

wwm0nkey

I thought Armored Core V was somewhat the new Chromehounds? What does this title have to do with chromehounds?

Verdict Day from what I saw does have the old ChromeHounds online system rather than what V tried but its all about the gameplay too. ChromeHounds was slow and tactical and the way you build your Hound and interacted with your squad really effected the battle. This is aiming to bring that back with a few welcome changes like parts being destroyed and coming off so we wont have shield Hounds 24/7 and you will want to think twice about stacking weapons because if the bottom weapon goes so do the rest of them.

Vic20

This is a fan made game that is trying to take everything Chromehounds did and build on it. From a licensing perspective it has nothing to do with Chromehounds, but everything from the menus, to the mechs (M.A.V.s) are straight out of Chromehounds.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
That brings me to a couple of other questions I had. What will happen to a player-made factions territory if no one's online? Will other players just be able to take it through computer matches?

Also, if you go from server to server in this, will your in-game rank transfer with you?

And thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I think the important thing to remember is the way you capture territories will be very different from Chromehounds, due to the fact not everyone will be on the same server.

Once you capture a territory, it is yours. It's not like chromehounds in which you had to grind the same location to get capture points.

Because of that, actually capturing will be much harder. You will deploy, plan out your attack to destroy some of the defenses, and then pull back out to resupply.

As a defender, you have many options of automated defence systems to help guard when you are not around. This includes hiring AI M.A.V.'s to protect you, turrets, walls, and smaller units like tanks.

As for rank, yes your in game rank is universal, so single player, arena mode battles, and all that adds to your rank. What will not travel between servers is you inventory. So on a new server, you would need to gain resources and fight to gain back the full access to everything. This is subject to change once it goes in and is play tested though, but it is the current design.

2San

Verdict Day from what I saw does have the old ChromeHounds online system rather than what V tried but its all about the gameplay too. ChromeHounds was slow and tactical and the way you build your Hound and interacted with your squad really effected the battle. This is aiming to bring that back with a few welcome changes like parts being destroyed and coming off so we wont have shield Hounds 24/7 and you will want to think twice about stacking weapons because if the bottom weapon goes so do the rest of them.
Oh ok, I see what you mean.
This is a fan made game that is trying to take everything Chromehounds did and build on it. From a licensing perspective it has nothing to do with Chromehounds, but everything from the menus, to the mechs (M.A.V.s) are straight out of Chromehounds.
Wouldn't taking the menu's and mechs cause licensing issue's as well?

Storm360

I don't support kickstarters, but upvoted on Greenlight either way.

I never played Chromehounds and really wanted to, So will be keeping a tab on this

wwm0nkey

Wish Sega would just forefit the ChromeHounds IP so either Cyber or From can just buy it.

Also Cyber will there ever be any plans for a "classic" online mode that emulates ChromeHounds or will you be giving server options to do so at all?

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Also Cyber will there ever be any plans for a "classic" online mode that emulates ChromeHounds or will you be giving server options to do so at all?

There will be server options to adjust stuff, so I imagine you could get close to a 'classic' experience.

wwm0nkey

Already 80% to the top 100 greenlight games on Steam.

Also commander mode is being worked on now and it sounds great!

Vic20

Only 5K to go peoples! hopefully we will see some stretch goals since we have 3 weeks left on the clock!

Will there be custom colors. I want wonderbread colors. It was hilarious when the npcs would steal your colors to confuse your teammates.

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
We hit the top 100 on Steam greenlight!

Just look at this rocket of a path to the top!

greenlight2.png

Thanks for all the support, but we are not there yet. The Kickstarter still needs some help, so please keep spreading the word!

Kickstarter is at 80%

cyberdogs7

Neo Member
Just wanted to thank everyone that has either backed the kickstarter or voted on greenlight (or both!)

Just as an update, Kickstarter is just inching up to 90%, which means I am close to putting up the first stretch goal!

Greenlight is doing amazing! M.A.V. is currently at #52, which is amazing, but Valve has only pulled the top 30 games in the last few greenlight batches so we need a bit more of a push. The greenlight is in the point that Valve is not longer pushing traffic to the page, so it's all up to us and spreading the word!

Thanks again!

Aerocrane

Congratulations on reaching the goal, I would back the Kickstarter if I hadn't already bought the game from the website couple weeks before the start of the Kickstarter campaign.

Orayn

Congrats on 20k and breaking into the top 30 in Greenlight!

Melee Weapons- Unlocked at 25k  

Melee weapons will add an entire new class of weapons to M.A.V., reflecting the humble beginnings of M.A.V. pilots as mining machine operators. This weapon class will include devastating close range weapons that are improvised from their normal mining operations. Weapons like Hydraulic Jack Hammers, pounding though buildings and other M.A.V.'s. Or maybe try the Massive Rock Saw, spinning up and ripping apart the weaker parts of your enemies. Try strapping a massive bulldozer blade to your M.A.V. and ramming your opponent, dealing collision damage and shoving them out of your way! This class of weapons and parts will let you get up close and personal, so you can see the fear before you silence your oppressors.

Stretch goal, more like RIP AND TEAR goal!

Also, thank you for keeping the goal reasonable and not to pie-in-the-sky.

-MD-

I loved Chromehounds and this looks like it nails the gameplay. Really excited to see this coming on PC where hopefully it won't die off like Chromehounds did.

Hope it ends up being an awesome game, definitely gonna keep my eye on it.

Top Bottom