• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Thrives down under: 'Success reflects Aussie passion for PlayStation'

Loudninja

On the most romantic day of the year, love is most certainly in the air, just as it is between Australian gaming fans and PlayStation®. Sony Computer Entertainment Australia today revealed that, according to data from NPD Group Australia, the PlayStation brand held the market leadership position in the total interactive entertainment category for 2013*, the third year in a row. Also for the third year running, PS3™ was the number one selling home console last year. Completing the trifecta of firsts, the PS4™ system moved into the top spot for next generation console sales last month**, as stock became more readily available in Australia.

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia secured this hat-trick of wins following a hugely successful 2013. Highlights for the year included the release of hit titles The Last of Us™ along with the latest instalment of the Gran Turismo® franchise, Gran Turismo®6 for PS3 and, of course, the release of the brand new PS4 system in November.

"It has been an enormous 12 months for PlayStation in Australia", said Michael Ephraim, Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia. "These results reflect not only the passion Australians have for the PlayStation brand overall, but also the strength of the individual platforms we have. For PS3 to perform so well, nearly seven years after its launch, is testament to the features, entertainment services and quality gaming titles delivered throughout its lifecycle and in 2013."

"The arrival of PS4 at the end of 2013 has further strengthened the love affair Australian gamers have with PlayStation. PS4 has been an astronomic success in Australia; a story that is replicated around the globe. As the world's most powerful home console, PS4 truly represents the next generation in gaming and will help keep the PlayStation brand at the pinnacle for a long time to come."
http://au.playstation.com/psn/news/..._AU&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

elfinke

Makes sense. A fresh batch of PS4's were delivered this week to many retailers, I believe for fulfilling existing pre-orders. At least, I don't expect to see any hit shelves.

Dick Smith had a 24hr 10% pre-order price on them earlier this week (~$490), some of those boxes ought to be shipping today from what OzB were saying. Everyone else won't see theirs until March. Fucking bonkers.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Uhhh... No. Xbox One is destroying the PS4 here for obvious reasons.

Unless we're talking gray market. But if that's the case, then it's anyone's guess.

Well, it's been selling out, but how many ship there is another question, which is why I say 'I'm not sure about that'.

Card Boy

Banned
As i have said before the PS4 got sold out at the pre-order stage in Australia at least 2 months before release. Retailers made you go on a waiting list for January stock, then February and now March, i can see it going longer. The Xbone on the other hand could of being bought day 1 without a pre-order, i could get one right now if i wanted to.

The PS4 thirst is real and the stock situation is worse than the Wii.

noobie

Banned
wish that they have shared some numbers atleast.. wander how much PS3 sold last yr.. and has XBONE crossed 100k?

sun-drop

NZ has always been sony land right?

but i wonder if ps4 sales where short of supply here ....every shipment was sold out with preorders, but a few stores i visted said they had actually sold more xbones simply due to the fact they had more of them to sell. but ps4 demand was alot higher.

more powerful and cheaper ..think it would be an oddity for Ps4 to be outsold all things being equal, anywhere..

Zushin

As i have said before the PS4 got sold out at the pre-order stage in Australia at least 2 months before release. Retailers made you go on a waiting list for January stock, then February and now March, i can see it going longer. The Xbone on the other hand could of being bought day 1 without a pre-order, i could get one right now if i wanted to.

The PS4 thirst is real and the stock situation is worse than the Wii.

Yeah. The lack of available PS4s here is crazy. I'm gonna attempt to get one next month but wouldn't be surprised if I had to wait until April.

New Zealand still xbox land ?

Never has been as far as I know, PS always seemed to be more popular.

Are people now actually thinking NZ is an xbox stronghold after all the jokes about shop sales staff begging people to buy PS4s?!

NZ is similar to Aus in that it seems to be sold out everywhere and you have to pre-order for the next shipment (or possibly the one after that), and lots of XBones are sitting on shelves in shops.

but i wonder if ps4 sales where short of supply here ....every shipment was sold out with preorders, but a few stores i visted said they had actually sold more xbones simply due to the fact they had more of them to sell. but ps4 demand was alot higher.

Yeah we got a very small stock allocation of PS4's.

Microsoft stuffed the channel comparatively, they expected higher pre-orders and higher sales.

Price gouging justified :|

For those wondering, the $400 PS4 ended up at $550 and the $500 Xbox one $600.

But anyway, stock availability has been crazy (even if it is ~$100 cheaper to buy from Amazon...)

New Zealander here. PlayStation is dominant but the margin is a lot closer than other countries.

PS4 is still sold out here though and stock drips in shipments that you have to preorder for.

I have both, but the Xbone disappoints me. These consoles should be 1080p @ 60fps for all games, especially FPSs. No up-scaling, no muddy textures. I know deeper into console cycles, dev's are able to unlock more power, but PS4 is already killing it. I'm no fanboy either way, but overall I'm disappointed in the release of both consoles and I guess I expected more. I'm more of a PC gamer, and maybe I've been spoiled - but I am losing interest in the hobby that I have loved for many years because of how things a lot of the time are been done in an half-arsed manner.

I always maintain the argument that this console launch was at least a year early - look at the lack of games and features that should be standard for launch, that are slowly making their way to the consumer - all it does it make less people jump on board, then dev's are spread thin by having to create games for older generation of consoles, which means we still don't get the proper development time and resources put in to 'new-gen' games.

Price gouging justified :|

For those wondering, the $400 PS4 ended up at $550 and the $500 Xbox one $600.

But anyway, stock availability has been crazy (even if it is ~$100 cheaper to buy from Amazon...)

Even worse was you could get the X1 for $578 at launch from Big W and a few other places!

Xbox Australia tried the best they could here, did a great job trying to sell it.

Compared to Playstation Australia who might as well not exist considering how poor they are.

Do we get NPD Australia numbers ever?

Still interesting to hear PS3 is still selling well in Australia and that PS4 has overtaken XB1

Haha! I know! At this point, it's just subliminal advertising for tourism!

Now now everyone hustle along. We have a busy day planned.

2PM we see where The Lord of the Rings was filmed

3PM we visit a beautiful fishing village on the north coast

4PM we visit the cliff that our dear queen ordered all PS4's be thrown down. I know it's not a happy sight for many of you but never forget what happened there!

Top Bottom