• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Thrives down under: 'Success reflects Aussie passion for PlayStation'

Brazil? Not sure about that. Any possible margin XBOX ONE might have over the PS4 here in Brazil is not going to last. Sony will cut its abusive price in half, sooner or later. It's already happening in some unofficial channels

How is extremely protectionist import law Sony's fault? You have to make the darn thing in Brazil to avoid ridiculous duty on the product. It's not abusive at all. They don't have manufacturing on the ground in Brazil for the PS4 and so there is ridiculous amounts of duty on the product on import.

DrkSage

It was near nigh impossible to escape that Ryse commercial or related web/street advertisement.

Wait... Most 1 hour television shows last 45 minutes, that leaves 15 minutes for commercial so that's around 30 commercials per hour and if the Xbox one commercials were almost impossible to escape that means they occupied most of those 15 commercial minutes... That could only mean...

and the fastest advertised lol

Yes SMOk3Y it was in fact the fastest advertised next generation console!

Mahonay

Banned
Ctrl-F "New Zealand"

yep
How imagine your response every time you open one of these threads now;

iWM84UiXH5qVD.gif

How is extremely protectionist import law Sony's fault? You have to make the darn thing in Brazil to avoid ridiculous duty on the product. It's not abusive at all. They don't have manufacturing on the ground in Brazil for the PS4 and so there is ridiculous amounts of duty on the product on import.

No. The taxes are abusive, but so is Sony's price. No amount of taxes alone would make the US$ 400 PS4 cost approx. US$ 1850 in Brazil.

IMO, Sony is doing that to 1) guarantee the Ps4 launch in Brazil in 2013; shipping as few consoles as possible 2) raise awareness to the ridiculous Brazilian tax laws.

But this will not last for long. They will half the PS4 price here in a few months, believe it.

Shin-Ra

The heatwave meant people weren't willing to risk carrying an Xbone home. That caused the turnaround.

Drainer

Banned
Ah thanks for the input. That's too bad. I love to see numbers

Well the One did almost 70k in its first 3 weeks and has been selling very consistently since then.

So safe to say both consoles at this stage are getting close to 100k each. Especially if the PS4 has taken over.

Probably a stupid question, but what's with all the New Zealand comments when it comes to PS4? I understand it's not selling well there, but how did that turn into a mini-meme?

Probably a stupid question, but what's with all the New Zealand comments when it comes to PS4? I understand it's not selling well there, but how did that turn into a mini-meme?

On the contrary, it's selling very well in NZ (when they're actually available!).

Basically occonomiyaki pretty much equated one store in Wellington still having a few PS4s available a day or two after a shipment arrived to there being no demand for the PS4.

How is the Wii U down under?
Some retailers did a firesale last year, others have done nothing to shift stock. Just waiting for some kind of catalyst I guess.

Well to be fair the whole server issue could have been handled just a little better. I wonder how many people considered that? Probably not many.
Yeah this could be a real shitshow once Titanfall hits.

Most probably won't notice though. Sucks that other countries get a competitive advantage but the popularity of console MP over the years shows some people don't notice host advantage, lag, etc.

oggob

I've only heard some retailer whispers, one that suggested that the "big" pre-Christmas shipment was ~70K for Sony...

The XBOX did 65K inside 3 days of launch, we don't know what Sony shipped here, but even if it was a 'modest' 30-40K? Then it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for both consoles to be +100K prior to Christmas.

Well before Christmas, the 2 big stores (EB Games & JB HiFi), had their January allocation for Sony sold out, February allocation wasn't that far behind, both are now taking orders for March. I know one guy got his PS4 this week from a JB HiFi and it seems there have been a another 1, maybe 2 smaller shipments hitting shores since Christmas.

Honestly, it wouldn't be surprising if the PS4 was >150K at the moment.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Price gouging justified :|

For those wondering, the $400 PS4 ended up at $550 and the $500 Xbox one $600.

But anyway, stock availability has been crazy (even if it is ~$100 cheaper to buy from Amazon...)
I think problem with ours (presumption) as with the PS3 our price was based off the exchange rate of our money to the EURO not the dollar so I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 is the same
Wait... Most 1 hour television shows last 45 minutes, that leaves 15 minutes for commercial so that's around 30 commercials per hour and if the Xbox one commercials were almost impossible to escape that means they occupied most of those 15 commercial minutes... That could only mean...

Yes SMOk3Y it was in fact the fastest advertised next generation console!

ya I reckon I seen 1 to 2 PS4 ads a day & 40+ Bone ones

Darmik

Unlike the UK the Wii U seems to have decent shelf space in most stores. Even in stores like Big W. Not sure about how well it's selling though. I've brought up Wii U sales up to the nearby local EB Games clerk but they don't seem to think it's anything unusual for a new console. But of course they'd never bad mouth a product I suppose. The Vita is all but dead retail wise here however.

Also by best selling console are they not including the 3DS or is the PS3 outselling that over here as well?

Lets just say the price cut that didn't really work in the rest of the world? Australia didn't even get that to help.

When you add in the region locking and lack of shelf presence I can't imagine it is all too good.

I think problem with ours (presumption) as with the PS3 our price was based off the exchange rate of our money to the EURO not the dollar so I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 is the same

That is generally the problem (so we get the double hit in conversion). But in this case you have the direct comparison with the xbox one, so you would think Sony would have adjusted it to be in line with that. But apparently they made the smart move, because it is still sold out just about everywhere.

ethomaz

Banned
WOW no country for One.

Brazil is a weird case... I guess official consoles PS4 didn't outsold Xbone due the price (4000 vs 2000) but in the informal or gray market PS4 is selling way more than Xbone (eg. Santa Efigênia).

There are more guys with PS4 at hands than Xbone... Sony shipped a new batch of consoles too while MS just the initial shipment (to be fair the initial shipment for Xbone was really way more than PS4 initial shipment).

So if you use only official sales then Xbone is ahead in Brazil.

Edit - Most official stores in Brazil had the PS4 SOLD OUT at R$4000... this is crazy with this price... I just found it in Walmart, Submarino and Americanas.... Fnac, PontoFrio, MagazineLuiza and SonyStyle are SOLD OUT (or less than 2 units in stock).

Microsoft Australia fire back

Xbox One saw higher unit sales of consoles, games and accessories than any other next generation console in Australia last year and topped all prior console launches in the country’s history
Must have had a bad January for PS4 to overtake.
It also topped launch because it launched before PS4 lol

This is lolworthy though
Supply of the Xbox One has been limited since Christmas
lololol

Australians will continue to have more reasons to enjoy the best of gaming and entertainment through their Xbox One, with the launch of exclusive titles such as Titanfall, Kinect Sports Rival, Project Spark, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare and more all in the coming weeks
Nice use of the word 'exclusive' too lol

Freeman

Banned
PS4 is probably way behind in Brazil. Its hard to measure since most PS4 sales are unofficial, If I was to guess(based on gamertag list on forums and general observation) I would say close to a 2:1 advantage for Xbox One right now, with a lot of people(like me) waiting for prices to settle in the grey market(prices for PS4 are already less expensive than the Xone in some places).

PS4 has close to no presence on stores. At this point our market is pretty much irrelevant sales wise, even the XOne is still to expensive to sell well.

Card Boy

Banned

Deader than a goth party. The Wii U sections of JB and EB are shrinking more and more as time goes buy, Wii U is hidden from the main EB webpage and i would imagine the sales are much worse than the UK and the UK Wii U sales are abyssal. Considering Australia is smaller in population compared to the UK it must be doing mega bad.

Microsoft Australia fire back

Xbox One saw higher unit sales of consoles, games and accessories than any other next generation console in Australia last year and topped all prior console launches in the country’s history
Must have had a bad January for PS4 to overtake.
It also topped launch because it launched before PS4 lol

This is lolworthy though

lololol

Nice use of the word 'exclusive' too lol

soo...xbox one number of consoles sold + number of games sold + number of accessories sold VS. PS4 number of consoles sold only? and yeah, "exclusives"...

north_korean_girl_with_pot_on_head_does_90_spins_in_30_secs_to_celebrate_kim_jong_uns_birthday-108051.gif

Tommy DJ

How is this possible, you haven't been able to get a PS4 for like two months. Unless the most recent shipment was huge.

Seik

Banned
QpAlAHI.png

Indeed (it's under the 'more' column). I'm sure the official sale numbers aren't great, either.

Still in the main column in Canada, so there's that.

BV5qn0b.png

Sad thing that it got to the point of being removed from there though. :/

Top Bottom