• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Thrives down under: 'Success reflects Aussie passion for PlayStation'

Ace001

As i have said before the PS4 got sold out at the pre-order stage in Australia at least 2 months before release. Retailers made you go on a waiting list for January stock, then February and now March, i can see it going longer. The Xbone on the other hand could of being bought day 1 without a pre-order, i could get one right now if i wanted to.

The PS4 thirst is real and the stock situation is worse than the Wii.

I second this. I've had the exact experience when trying to look for ps4s in the wild

Yagharek

Did a check today. Apparently still on preorders only locally, with a couple of no-shows left over.

Also enquired about defectives. Only one refusing discs out of 100+ sales.

Which is about 50 times better than 360 at launch.

Kvik

I kind of glad I ordered one from Amazon at launch. Looks like the thirst isn't going to let up anytime soon.

Replicant

Our Sna
g
s are delicious!

VNOGph0.jpg

OXLTmTY.jpg

SLESS

I am in Australia number of people I know that brought the Xbone have now ebayed them and Pre-ordered / purchased PS4's.

Bishop89

Was actually pretty funny back in november when ps4 was constantly out of stock and you could only get one if you had preordered (FOR THAT SHIPMENT) whilst the xbone you could just walk in on day 1 and pick 1 up.

I think stores are still taking preorders for 3rd shipments which should have arrived by now.

freefornow

Gold Member
I am in Australia number of people I know that brought the Xbone have now ebayed them and Pre-ordered / purchased PS4's.

Ebay Au has 68 Xbox One consoles listed and 76 PS4's

I conclude that Aussies are abandoning their PS4's! or New Zealanders living in Aus are really skewing the figures!

Ebay Au has 68 Xbox One consoles listed and 76 PS4's

I conclude that Aussies are abandoning their PS4's! or New Zealanders living in Aus are really skewing the figures!

lol but what do they sell for? Can depict a little of demand if there's something interesting [i.e. if the PS4 was selling for more than retail and the XB1 less or vice-versa]

freefornow

Gold Member
lol but what do they sell for? Can depict a little of demand if there's something interesting [i.e. if the PS4 was selling for more than retail and the XB1 less or vice-versa]

Xbox One Commemorative Edition (i think the seller made that up!!) - but yeah, Day One console AU$1199 (normal console average 500-550)
Ps4 Killzone bundle AU$1199 (non bundle average around $700-800)

So most listing on ebay AU are below RRP for XB1 and above RRP for PS4.
Not sure what that is in New Zealand dollars or Brazilian reals atm.

Edit: this is Buy it Now prices

EB Games has its next shipment in March.
JB Hi-Fi is taking pre-orders for a new shipment in "Early 2014."

So it's sort of surprising how it's managed to take the lead when the Xbox One is pretty readily available. Second shipments could have been large, or alternatively demand has died down for the Xbox One post-launch.

noobie

Banned
EB Games has its next shipment in March.
JB Hi-Fi is taking pre-orders for a new shipment in "Early 2014."

So it's sort of surprising how it's managed to take the lead when the Xbox One is pretty readily available. Second shipments could have been large, or alternatively demand has died down for the Xbox One post-launch.

Probably both.

Is the New Zealand thing gonna last the whole generation?

No, Sony will probably reduce shipments there so they don't have to bury them in landfill to make the console look popular. Probably call it a lost cause.

Maybe combine Australia/New Zealand sales in future sales figures to hide the embarrassment.

Loudninja

On the most romantic day of the year, love is most certainly in the air, just as it is between Australian gaming fans and PlayStation®. Sony Computer Entertainment Australia today revealed that, according to data from NPD Group Australia, the PlayStation brand held the market leadership position in the total interactive entertainment category for 2013*, the third year in a row. Also for the third year running, PS3™ was the number one selling home console last year. Completing the trifecta of firsts, the PS4™ system moved into the top spot for next generation console sales last month**, as stock became more readily available in Australia.

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia secured this hat-trick of wins following a hugely successful 2013. Highlights for the year included the release of hit titles The Last of Us™ along with the latest instalment of the Gran Turismo® franchise, Gran Turismo®6 for PS3 and, of course, the release of the brand new PS4 system in November.

"It has been an enormous 12 months for PlayStation in Australia", said Michael Ephraim, Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Australia. "These results reflect not only the passion Australians have for the PlayStation brand overall, but also the strength of the individual platforms we have. For PS3 to perform so well, nearly seven years after its launch, is testament to the features, entertainment services and quality gaming titles delivered throughout its lifecycle and in 2013."

"The arrival of PS4 at the end of 2013 has further strengthened the love affair Australian gamers have with PlayStation. PS4 has been an astronomic success in Australia; a story that is replicated around the globe. As the world's most powerful home console, PS4 truly represents the next generation in gaming and will help keep the PlayStation brand at the pinnacle for a long time to come."
http://au.playstation.com/psn/news/..._AU&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

hirokazu

I wish somebody would supply some goddamn hard numbers for Australia for once. Those seem to have especially dried up since NPD took over sales tracking.

I mean, how hard is it to say "PS4 has now sold x amount compared to Xbox One and PS3 has sold x amount following three consecutive number one years compared to 360 selling x amount"?!

It's so frustrating seeing these press releases with no numbers to analyse. D:<

hirokazu

I think PS3 ended up overtaking the 360 here anyway (not sure though).
That's the general consensus, but we'll never know without them providing numbers. Anecdotally, PS3 had all the momentum the last few years, with most people I know who game getting a PS3 or already owning one.

Nintendo are definitely not going to provide any numbers with the way Wii U is failing. Microsoft is pretty much a no-go when they're fighting a losing battle with Sony right now.

Sony really was our only hope to get actual numbers while they're standing proud and tall. Instead we got a fluff release saying how great they did without the numbers to back it up. :/ Seriously, is there some sort of pact with NPD to not disclose numbers or something?

Loudninja

I wish somebody would supply some goddamn hard numbers for Australia for once. Those seem to have especially dried up since NPD took over sales tracking.

I mean, how hard is it to say "PS4 has now sold x amount compared to Xbox One and PS3 has sold x amount following three consecutive number one years compared to 360 selling x amount"?!

It's so frustrating seeing these press releases with no numbers to analyse. D:<
Yeah this numbers are as of Feb 2nd so they are pretty recent.

hirokazu

I haven't been following the stock thing much since I'm not in the market yet, but the PS4s are supposed to be out of stock in most places? My local JB has them in stock today.

Top Bottom