• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous Standard Beta (Starting Jul 29th - $75)

Soi-Fong

Per the title, the Standard Beta for Elite: Dangerous is starting on the 29th of July. The beta access will be a more reasonable $75 instead of the 150 dollars that the Premium Beta charged.

The Lifetime Expansion pass is also being withdrawn on the 29th of July so for those who want to get in on all the expansions, it'll be good to buy it soon.

Examples of the expansions planned:

Landing/ driving / prospecting on airless rocky planets, moons & asteroids
Walking around interiors and combative boarding of other ships
Combat and other interactions with other players and AIs in the internal areas of star ports
Accessing richly detailed planetary surfaces
Availability of giant ‘executive control’ ships to players

Full game is expected to launch end of 2014.

Source: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=1824c0b05a

Current Gaffer List:

Soi-Fong: Commander Miyamoto Musashi
Teknopathetic: Commander Teknopathetic
Lumicide: Commander Lumicide
Iced_Eagle: Commander Iced_Eagle
aranth: Commander Aranth
AJLma: Commander AJ Lima
LeBart: Commander LeBart
kafiend: Commander kafiend
epmode: Commander Wallguy
Sikamikanico: Commander Sikamikanico
Klyka: Commander Klyka
DrBo42: Commander DrBo42
Osiris: Commander Vennt Vespya
CaptainRizla: Commander Wonky
Bennicus: Commander Bennicus
sfried: Commander SiG
Tommyhawk: Commander Tommy Thompson
TheTrain: CMDR TheTrain
DrTeflon: Commander Rihanna
RubberJohnny: Commander JoJoeyJoJo
fanboi: Commander fanboi
SLV: Commander Armijs
Buggy Loop: Commander Nhil
Zaptruder: Commander Zaptruder
Cheesetom: Commander CheeseTom
WGMBY: Commander Murro

Soi-Fong

Bumped this thread to update information. Those who have opted in for the standard beta can now get in the game and download the single player combat build. These are a few single player scenarios people can do to get use to controls and such.

Warning: These scenarios are pretty hard even for experienced pilots.

epmode

I guess there's another Elite thread but 0 posts is kind of amazing.

You should really play this, GAF. The beta's impressive as hell. God, I love the sound design.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Is this gonna be free to play or will it be like 60$?

Can't wait til this game are done so I can play it!

Skunkers

You should really play this, GAF. The beta's impressive as hell. God, I love the sound design.

I'm actually thinking the OT is gonna need to be something like this:

Elite: Dangerous [OT] PLAY THIS NOW YOU GODDAMNED FOOLS

This is not getting the attention it deserves.

Soi-Fong

Is this gonna be free to play or will it be like 60$?

Can't wait til this game are done so I can play it!

To get into the standard beta is $75. The full game when it launches will be $50.

The game was never planned to be F2P.

Edit: Oculus should advertise this game more since this is what will sell Rifts. Docking and trading is already wonderful in the beta. Having gotten the X55 Rhino HOTAS recently just makes this game all better.

Arulan

I'm really looking forward to playing this but I think I'll likely wait until release. Divinity: Original Sin currently has my full attention.

I know I'll be picking up the Oculus Rift CV1 but I don't expect it to release until ~Q2 2015 (if that) at this point.

Soi-Fong

I'm really looking forward to playing this but I think I'll likely wait until release. Divinity: Original Sin currently has my full attention.

I know I'll be picking up the Oculus Rift CV1 but I don't expect it to release until ~Q2 2015 (if that) at this point.

That's optimistic for me. I'm not expecting CV1 at this point until Q4 2015 with the earliest release being around September or October 2015.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I went in for the Kickstarter at the release only tier, so no beta for me, but looking forward to when I can get my hands on it.

I've went on a bit of a blackout recently on the game but it looked might impressive when I stopped looking and I can't imagine it has got worse.

This & OR? Sounds like heaven, or lots of being sick, heh.

Soi-Fong

I went in for the Kickstarter at the release only tier, so no beta for me, but looking forward to when I can get my hands on it.

I've went on a bit of a blackout recently on the game but it looked might impressive when I stopped looking and I can't imagine it has got worse.

This & OR? Sounds like heaven, or lots of being sick, heh.

Getting "sick" I guess would depend on the person. Definitely, when I let people try out the DK2 Rift, this won't be the first game I let them try out. Well... Maybe let them sit in the cockpit and witness the awe of the Coriolis Starport, but not have them participate in a dogfight outright.

Mindlog

I really want to wait to play all these great new games when CV1 hits. Not sure if I'm going to make it.
That sound design with great headphones and CV1 is going to be something special.

WIll the Standard Beta also give me the full game when it launches? Will the beta have DK2 support? If yes on both I'll be very tempted to order.

I'm actually thinking the OT is gonna need to be something like this:

Elite: Dangerous [OT] PLAY THIS NOW YOU GODDAMNED FOOLS

This is not getting the attention it deserves.

Honestly, guys, even with the other thread, I had no idea what this game is or was about. I think the OT needs to show us some images and give a simple breakdown of what the game is about and what you can do.

After watching the videos, I was amazed this wasn't on my radar. It looks fantastic, but I know next to nothing about it and "Elite: Dangerous" is such a weird...almost bad...name. Two adjectives wut

Krejlooc

Banned
Honestly, guys, even with the other thread, I had no idea what this game is or was about. I think the OT needs to show us some images and give a simple breakdown of what the game is about and what you can do.

After watching the videos, I was amazed this wasn't on my radar. It looks fantastic, but I know next to nothing about it and "Elite: Dangerous" is such a weird...almost bad...name. Two adjectives wut

It's the third game in a series. This would be like someone making wing commander: dangerous. The title "elite" is supposed to let you know what sort of game this is if you are familiar with the property. Elite was hugely popular in the 80's. It's a classic pc franchise.

WIll the Standard Beta also give me the full game when it launches? Will the beta have DK2 support? If yes on both I'll be very tempted to order.

Yes and yes.

It should be available day one of DK2 availability as Frontier got early access to DK2. It makes sense because Elite is honestly one of the best Rift games out there, and I've tried a LOT in my DK1. When you're flying around, it's basically perfect. The galaxy map was broken in the Rift last time I tried, but you could just use the in-ship navigation menu anyway, so it wasn't a huge deal.

hmmm the expansion stuff sounds like stuff i'd want in the main game :(

Good expansion content always sounds like that. :p The base game will have an awesome amount of content though, and I'd recommend just getting the expansion pass if you are a fan of space sims. If you aren't sure you'll like it, just get the base game and get the expansion pass later since it will be a bit until the first expansion comes out (probably next year).

epmode

I don't think Elite: Dangerous is a good name either. Being familiar with the series, I understand why they used it (and even then it's questionable) but it makes very little sense to everyone else. If they were so stuck on the Dangerous thing, just make it Elite 4 - Dangerous or whatever.

marrec

Banned
I loved Elite back on my 386 and am very interested in this game... but not for $75.

Thanks for the heads up though.

injurai

Banned
I don't think Elite: Dangerous is a good name either. Being vaguely familiar with the series, I understand why they used it but it's definitely not the right way to bring in new fans.

It was an inconsistently named series to begin with so it's even more baffling.

Elite
Frontier: Elite II
Frontier: First Encounters

call it Solar Frontier or something

Krejlooc

Banned
the most mind blowing thing about Elite the series is that elite dangerous isn't radically different than the elite II frontier. they're very much the same sort of game with the same kind of scope only now with better graphics. that's how far ahead of the game Elite was in the 80's.

It's the third game in a series. This would be like someone making wing commander: dangerous. The title "elite" is supposed to let you know what sort of game this is if you are familiar with the property. Elite was hugely popular in the 80's. It's a classic pc franchise.

Fourth in the series

Good expansion content always sounds like that. :p The base game will have an awesome amount of content though, and I'd recommend just getting the expansion pass if you are a fan of space sims. If you aren't sure you'll like it, just get the base game and get the expansion pass later since it will be a bit until the first expansion comes out (probably next year).

am just hesitant atm. theres been space games the past half decade or so, but nothing outstanding, and I was the sucker that bought X Rebirth at launch :(

Soi-Fong

Yes and yes.

It should be available day one of DK2 availability as Frontier got early access to DK2. It makes sense because Elite is honestly one of the best Rift games out there, and I've tried a LOT in my DK1. When you're flying around, it's basically perfect. The galaxy map was broken in the Rift last time I tried, but you could just use the in-ship navigation menu anyway, so it wasn't a huge deal.

You won't be able to buy any sort of expansion pass after the 29th of July. It was in their 29th newsletter. They're withdrawing it the same day as the standard beta releases. So, people have a limited time on deciding whether they want it.

I opted in for the Premium Beta and its automatically included.

Anyway, I personally went for it since I'm looking forward to planetary landings and walking around my ship. 50 bucks is plenty cheap for those in my opinion. The extra stuff David mentioned are just icing on this scrumptious cake already.

Also, guys GET a HOTAS for this game!!! Immersion and fun factor multiply 10 fold.

Edit:

am just hesitant atm. theres been space games the past half decade or so, but nothing outstanding, and I was the sucker that bought X Rebirth at launch :(

Oh god, don't even mention that game in the same sentence as Elite. People keep on forgetting this being made by the guy who practically created the space sim genre.

epmode

I'm in the beta. It's already far better than X Rebirth. ..which isn't saying much I guess.

But I can confirm that it's the real deal. Best space sim in ages.

BigDug13

The lifetime expansion pass is $75 in the U.S. Will they actually be creating $75 worth of expansion content over the life of the game?

Soi-Fong

The lifetime expansion pass is $75 in the U.S. Will they actually be creating $75 worth of expansion content over the life of the game?

Um... No. The standard beta is $75. The Expansion Pass is $50. Total comes out to be $125.

The standard beta btw is the full game when it releases.

I propose - Elite: Dangerous |OT| It's the sequel to Elite.

Since the last game was made in the mid-90s (hope that's right, did a quick wiki search), I'd just focus on the features of this game itself.

"It's the sequel to X" wouldn't get me to click. But something like:

"Open-world SP/MP space exploration"
"Open-world SP/MP space pirating/trading/combat"
"Where we're going, we won't need skyboxes"
"Reach/explore every pale blue dot"

Probably would.

Just some outsider opinions! Having seen the game, it looks like GAF would love it. I'm just trying to figure out the best way/time to purchase it now...

BigDug13

Um... No. The standard beta is $75. The Expansion Pass is $50. Total comes out to be $125.

The standard beta btw is the full game when it releases.

Well they were asking me to pay $75 for the expansion in order to access the first beta, so I guess they're lowering the price now since it has no first beta access.

Installing this now. Don't have a flight stick yet as I didn't expect to have it so early. Going to try it with a controller tonight. Is it easy to configure with a controller?

Krejlooc

Banned
I remember being able to fly from the land of one planet to outterspace, fly in one direction for like 10 minutes, reach another planet, and fly to its surface, all without a single transition out loading screen in elite 2 and having my mind blown.

When I see things like no mans sky, that feeling is immediately what I recall.

Krejlooc

Banned
Installing this now. Don't have a flight stick yet as I didn't expect to have it so early. Going to try it with a controller tonight. Is it easy to configure with a controller?

Plug and play essentially. The game is awesome about having a bunch of presets for various controllers. Like my saitek x52 was supported out of the box with no need to configure anything. I'm liking that a bunch of the vr pc games are doing this. Assetto corsa did the same thing with my g27.

It's way better with a fight stick
and immeasurably better with an oculus rift
though.

Soi-Fong

Well they were asking me to pay $75 for the expansion in order to access the first beta, so I guess they're lowering the price now since it has no first beta access.

First I've heard of that. They may have lowered the price then. I got in via Premium Beta so not sure of the prices beforehand.

Here's some 1440p screens I took of the new starport. Looks soo good and David stated the game will look even better closer to release since they'll be implementing new types of AA and such.

XaU.png

VaU.png

Dipz

Banned
Saw some video of this on YouTube being played with Oculus Rift and it looks completely amazing. When I finally build a monster PC with dual 880 Ti cards I'll get this game.

And yeah, Elite: Dangerous is such a horrible name.

Soi-Fong

Saw some video of this on YouTube being played with Oculus Rift and it looks completely amazing. When I finally build a monster PC with dual 880 Ti cards I'll get this game.

If you're going to play it with the Rift, you won't want SLI because of AFR.

Krejlooc

Banned

And yeah, Elite: Dangerous is such a horrible name.

Avoid SLI.

One of my favorite things to do in Elite when in VR is to go to the center of an asteroid belt, align myself so that the asteroid belt is running vertically to my ship, then pull the hat on my throttle, making me ascend without tilting my ship upwards. It feels like you're in a space elevator. Looking around and seeing these monolithic boulders slowly falling past you is amazing. It'll only look better with DK2.

Also, the menu system in Elite is amazing with a rift. So fast and easy to use. Other games, like that Lunar Lander game, have used similar menus. They are context sensitive depending on where you're looking. Look to your left, and you'll see a screen pop up with missing info. Suddenly your hat on your stick controls this menu. Look over to your right and another menu pops up, and just by diverting your gaze, you are now controlling this other menu with the same hat controls.

My favorite thing about Elite in VR, though, is how the statistics are showing that people who play in VR have a very clear and decisive advantage over people without VR when it comes to multiplayer. I like it because it provides concrete evidence that VR isn't a "gimmick" as some say and that it really does afford you much better control and ability than a conventional monitor.

Soi-Fong

Wouldn't that be a good for a dual display thing like the Rift?

Dual display? The Rift only has one screen if that's what you're thinking. By AFR I meant Alternate Frame Rendering. Currently, this is how SLI and Crossfire work. But this method introduces at the least 18 ms of latency @ 75 hz. More latency is at work when you get to 60 hz and such.

Seeing as Palmer and Oculus are trying to get rid of as much latency as possible, introducing latency via SLI or Crossfire would give more problems in the end.

BigDug13

First I've heard of that. They may have lowered the price then. I got in via Premium Beta so not sure of the prices beforehand.

Here's some 1440p screens I took of the new starport. Looks soo good and David stated the game will look even better closer to release since they'll be implementing new types of AA and such.

XaU.png

VaU.png

Well premium beta was $150 and gave you the game and lifetime expansions. Now that premium beta timeframe is coming to an end, they're charging $75 for the base game with beta access and only $50 for the expansion pass.

The $150 price was therefore $75 base game and $75 expansion pass with the benefit of playing in the premium beta.

Soi-Fong

Never heard of this game look interesting is this some kind of game like Freelancer ?

Freelancer would have never existed without this game.

Elite Dangerous is a space sim, with combat that is a bit more complex than Freelancer and also has trading, etc

Oh and the whole Milky Way is your playground. All 400,000,000,000+ stars in it.

BigDug13

Never heard of this game look interesting is this some kind of game like Freelancer ?

This series was the grandfather. It started the whole thing that games like Privateer and Freelancer attempted to do.

Back when graphics looked like this:

0000.jpg

what kind of pc specs is it asking for the current builds?

like will my system (3570k @ 4.2 ghz, 16gb ram, 780 classified) run this ok at 1440p?

Is there/will there be a campaign?

Top Bottom