• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous Standard Beta (Starting Jul 29th - $75)

Buggy Loop

Should you buy Elite Dangerous?

How would you guys explain Elite Dangerous, in a relatively concise way. (it's successes, and what it encompasses) I'm looking back at my What is Elite: Dangerous section... and it's definitely lacking for an opening statement of sorts.

Yea i guess its a hard one to come up with. Its mostly about its future potential. Right now its got a solid fundation but everyone following the game knows it'll really kick in when we can have free flight atmospheric re-entries on the planets, get out of the ship and go hunt an alien deer for sweet gooey meat.
Its main success now is that, its the best milky way simulation found in a game ever, with 160k systems made from scientific data, its probably the closest you'll get to virtually explore the milky way until a while. They really made good compromises gameplay wise too between hard science and just being fun, like the power management reminescent to X-wing / Tie fighter games, the dogfight model being more like aerial dogfights but with the ability to switch off the flight assist for newtonian like physics.

I'm assuming you could probably just make one yourself. As far as 3rd party... I really have no idea.

How would you guys explain Elite Dangerous, in a relatively concise way. (it's successes, and what it encompasses) I'm looking back at my What is Elite: Dangerous section... and it's definitely lacking for an opening statement of sorts.

This probably sounds like a sales pitch, pretty dry but here it is:

Elite: Dangerous is an open world space trading, exploration and combat sim set in a 1:1 scale of the Milky Way galaxy with around 400 billion star systems where you can choose what you do, who you are and where your alliances stand. In a true pioneer fashion, you are given a spacecraft, a few credits and are left to your own devices. Become a trader, pirate, bounty-hunter, explorer, assassin or all of the above and for the first time in the series' history, do it online in a persistent multiplayer galaxy. The features list doesn't end here though, since the game will be continuously updated with major planned features like seamless planetary landings, first person exploration and combat, walking around space stations and ships, multi-crew boarding, stealing space ships or even controlling capital ships with a crew of multiple players.

This probably sounds like a sales pitch, pretty dry but here it is:

Sounds great to me, I honestly just want to get it up at this point as we're fast approaching release. I was going to go back and edit more stuff later. Mind if I send over what I have now for you to check over? I'm getting over a cold and my head isn't fully there.

Sounds great to me, I honestly just want to get it up at this point as we're fast approaching release. I was going to go back and edit more stuff later. Mind if I send over what I have now for you to check over? I'm getting over a cold and my head isn't fully there.

Sure, no problem, I'll take a look at it.

AJLma

I use the X55 for Elite and it's very, very precise. No idea where these massive deadzone rumours are coming from. I can scoop fuel and keep a very steady heat / scoop ratio, and this takes constant fine adjustments which I can do almost without the stick physically moving. It's quite sensitive.

I have also owned the X52 Pro in the past, but had to sell it when I emigrated. Out of the two I think I prefer the X55, though both are great. Feels a bit stiffer, a bit more real and a bit more expensive than the X52 Pro.

Thanks, I'm gonna go with your opinion and get the X55.

EDIT: Looking at the X55 in detail and damn this is one hell of a HOTAS O_O.

And I'm over 24,000 characters... will this be a 2 pager. I don't even feel like that much is there, but maybe I can cut some fat.

I'd say provide as much info as possible. Many don't go to the front of the page after it's initial visit anyways. I'd like to see a reference guide on flying and maneuvering in the op. I think that'll go a long way.

Buggy Loop

Yeah, start a 2nd page and maybe add concept arts of upcoming features, joystick recommendation (because it'll be asked 1000 times in the thread), video tutorials, etc when you have time later on.

I'd say provide as much info as possible. Many don't go to the front of the page after it's initial visit anyways. I'd like to see a reference guide on flying and maneuvering in the op. I think that'll go a long way.

I had planned to do that, I think it may need to be in the second page with updates/recommendations/videos/peripherals. There's too many facets in this game to cover XD.

Thanks, I'm gonna go with your opinion and get the X55.

EDIT: Looking at the X55 in detail and damn this is one hell of a HOTAS O_O.

It is amazing. Like a racing game with a wheel the HOTAS just makes it so real when doing just routine things.

Flippin' switches!

aranth

Grind your reps if you want to see higher payout missions, I'm seeing 100-200k haulage missions and little gems like this:

screenshot_0030zpof2.png

300k profit after buying the required cargo, just one jump away.

Buggy Loop

You guys remember the early shots of the sol system? Most of the planets looked weird because i guess they didnt have time to finish the algorithms so that it would look like the real thing, jupiter for example looked like a mud ball. I was pleasantly surprised to see they fixed that in gamma2.0. (not my screen)

cdQKqAU.png

Boogdud

So is there any secret to finding pirates? I've been toying around with bounty hunting in the eagle, but every time I get one of these "kill 7 pirates in the ____ system" quests I can't find a damn pirate to save my life. Save for the one unwanted cargo ship that begs me to instead kill 'authority ships' in the area where I originally got a quest (so it's dual bounties depending on which you choose to complete).

I did the other night for 3 hours, tonight one for around 2. The first night I found 3 out of 5, tonight 0 for 7. I'm just looking for any USS I can find in said system but there's just nothing. It's really irritating. I made way more money just interdicting wanted folks around the nav beacon.

Buggy Loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lXTyQ3xhY4&feature=youtu.be

Wow, after that detailed look at the Python, its my new Elite goal to acquire one. Costs $$$ especially with the upgrades, but it has distinct advantages over say, the Anaconda. Combat wise the Python is the Viper of the medium class ships, it has a very fast turn ratio and good speeds. It can dock at outposts too. Im curious how a player anaconda decked out would do against a decked out python now, but in his video, a dangerous anaconda was eaten alive.

Cant wait to see future ship designs :)

OT is live. Ongoing edits will occur though, let me know if I need to add anything. Reserved sections will include updates, resources, and recommendations.

Klyka

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lXTyQ3xhY4&feature=youtu.be

Wow, after that detailed look at the Python, its my new Elite goal to acquire one. Costs $$$ especially with the upgrades, but it has distinct advantages over say, the Anaconda. Combat wise the Python is the Viper of the medium class ships, it has a very fast turn ratio and good speeds. It can dock at outposts too. Im curious how a player anaconda decked out would do against a decked out python now, but in his video, a dangerous anaconda was eaten alive.

Cant wait to see future ship designs :)

Player ships are usually min-maxed but most players will put turret or gimbal weapons on their anaconda, meaning chaff is highly effective.
and if they have railguns you just need to stay behind/to the side.

Top Bottom