• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous Standard Beta (Starting Jul 29th - $75)

Mindlog

My favorite thing about Elite in VR, though, is how the statistics are showing that people who play in VR have a very clear and decisive advantage over people without VR when it comes to multiplayer. I like it because it provides concrete evidence that VR isn't a "gimmick" as some say and that it really does afford you much better control and ability than a conventional monitor.
Well it's also quite likely that the early VR adopters are the equivalent of space combat grognards. I just watch videos and can clearly understand what's on offer. I want to do this game right with CV1, headphones and HoTaS.

Krejlooc

Banned
what kind of pc specs is it asking for the current builds?

like will my system (3570k @ 4.2 ghz, 16gb ram, 780 classified) run this ok at 1440p?

Is there/will there be a campaign?
you'll be fine.

Currently, there are 10-ish single player missions that you can play, plus online multiplayer. July 29th is when there will be a big update, and presumably bits of the persistent universe will come online.

it'll have a single player campaign, and online PVP, and be an MMO, all at once.

Soi-Fong

what kind of pc specs is it asking for the current builds?

like will my system (3570k @ 4.2 ghz, 16gb ram, 780 classified) run this ok at 1440p?

Is there/will there be a campaign?

Your system will be more than enough. This game isn't as demanding as say, Star Citizen is. 1440p is achievable with your setup at 60 fps. Keep in mind, that the game is in beta so optimizations aren't finalized yet.

You should be able to stay at 60 with the occasional drops when in stations and the "biggest" drops in asteroid fields. Some more than others.

If you mean a "traditional" campaign, then no there will not be one. There's not going to be like a story campaign per say. Elite has always prided itself on letting players decide what they want to do in the universe and make a story for themselves. Whether that be a law abiding citizen just trying to make coin flying coffee to a smuggler that trades in human slaves to a pirate that attacks indiscriminately is up for the player to decide.

There will be certain "events" that will flesh out the universe that will be activated in different parts of the universe that players can participate in.

As well, if people want to stick with single player, they can enjoy the single player mode without running into any real people.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well it's also quite likely that the early VR adopters are the equivalent of space combat grognards. Personally I just watch videos and can clearly understand what's on offer. I want to do this game right with CV1, headphones and HoTaS.

I built a cockpit for racing games using a wheel stand pro and a G27 racing wheel, and I'm putting together a second for flight sims. I've already ordered another wheel stand pro that I plan on attaching this stuff too, and I have a Saitek x52 Pro. I'm gonna get some saitek rudders next and put it all together.

My last step is to get a nice, comfortable chair for these games and to attach a few buttkickers to it to give myself full body rumble. I use some skull candy wireless headphones for audio.

All I can say is that this shit is awesome.

ys45

Freelancer would have never existed without this game.

Elite Dangerous is a space sim, with combat that is a bit more complex than Freelancer and also has trading, etc

Oh and the whole Milky Way is your playground. All 400,000,000,000+ stars in it.

I was not aware this was an old series (got a computer pretty late) is it as complex as the X series ?

Will definitely keep an eye on this game .

Krejlooc

Banned
I was not aware this was an old series (got a computer pretty late) is it as complex as the X series ?

They were essentially among the first open world games, period. Actually, open world doesn't do it justice, open universe is more like it. Go anywhere, do anything sort of deal. Very expansive.

Are you familiar with Hunter? I always felt like Hunter reminded me of Elite, only on a single planet.

Soi-Fong

Much more complex and much better as well.

One of the biggest tasks actually being discussed right now in the official forums is the enormous undertaking that is getting to the center of the Milky Way. People are already planning and setting up expeditions to try to map out a way to the center. One person can't do it alone since there will be fuel costs, enemies that people may encounter, etc

You guys have to remember, that everything is to scale in E:D and David himself has stated that he doesn't expect anyone to get to the center for a while. Another problem is that "human space" is limited to a very small amount of star systems so people would have to really plan out trying to get to the center.

I personally can't wait!!

so are there planets in this? i mean landing seems like an expansion, but like a space station near a planet like freelancer or something. are they skybox paintings or actual rendere- eh just link me a video if there one lol

ys45

Much more complex and much better as well.

One of the biggest tasks actually being discussed right now in the official forums is the enormous undertaking that is getting to the center of the Milky Way. People are already planning and setting up expeditions to try to map out a way to the center. One person can't do it alone since there will be fuel costs, enemies that people may encounter, etc

You guys have to remember, that everything is to scale in E:D and David himself has stated that he doesn't expect anyone to get to the center for a while. Another problem is that "human space" is limited to a very small amount of star systems so people would have to really plan out trying to get to the center.

I personally can't wait!!

Wow really ? Damn I have been looking for a Space sim like this since Freelancer (although Feelancer was not really complex and more controlled like an arcade game)

Il go check some gameplay videos on Youtube

Soi-Fong

so are there planets in this? i mean landing seems like an expansion, but like a space station near a planet like freelancer or something. are they skybox paintings or actual rendere- eh just link me a video if there one lol

What? Of course there's planets. There'll be more than just planets. There will be:

Moons
Comets
Kuiper belt
Oort cloud
Black holes
Protoplanets and protosystems (i.e. star/planet systems in mid-formation with accretion disc of coalescing dust and gas)

Along with that, these will be 1:1 scale but also, planetary bodies and such will not remain static but actually have an orbit around their respective stars. Same applies to moons. One of the big selling aspects Frontier have been saying is that every twinkle you see in the sky is a place that you can go to.

Krejlooc

Banned

You can go anywhere and do anything. Every star you see in the distance can be traveled to, no matter how far away they are. You will be able to seemlessly fly from the surface of a planet, into space, across the galaxy, through the atmosphere of another planet, and down onto the surface again.

just watch this and you'll understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTgA_Y-m2Q

Perhaps it's best to watch a video of the old elite games to understand their scope and size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLuw4dftA0A

This, but today. I keep saying that No Man's Sky reminds me so much of Elite.

What? Of course there's planets. There'll be more than just planets. There will be:

Moons
Comets
Kuiper belt
Oort cloud
Black holes
Protoplanets and protosystems (i.e. star/planet systems in mid-formation with accretion disc of coalescing dust and gas)

Along with that, these will be 1:1 scale but also, planetary bodies and such will not remain static but actually have an orbit around their respective stars. Same applies to moons.

The coolest bit so far is the explaination of how user-generated constellations occur. Eventually, over time, as people explore the universe, an entire map of constellations will be discovered. And they change change from vantage point or depending on how the universe changes. They describe finding "the tea cup" in the above video.

Soi-Fong

No Man's Sky is pretty much Elite. I love what the creators are doing with the game, but I get the feeling they're acting like they're creating this new genre when it was actually created back in the 80's. It's kind of telling so far that in all the interviews I've seen them do, they've never mentioned Elite at all.

Still really looking forward to it and they can take their sweet time perfecting it. E:D will last me a while. lol

Krejlooc

Banned
Wow really ? Damn I have been looking for a Space sim like this since Freelancer (although Feelancer was not really complex and more controlled like an arcade game)

Il go check some gameplay videos on Youtube

I don't know if it's just the right time, the rise of crowdfunding, the birth of VR, or what, but the space sim genre is undergoing a massive Renaissance right now. It's absolutely amazing. The genre was essentially dead and buried for like 2 decades and now suddenly it's back with a vengeance, and all these projects are very impressive. Don't forget we have star citizen coming too, and if you want something more arcadey, there is Eve Valkyrie.

This is easily my favorite trend in gaming right now.

No Man's Sky is pretty much Elite. I love what the creators are doing with the game, but I get the feeling they're acting like they're creating this new genre when it was actually created back in the 80's. It's kind of telling so far that in all the interviews I've seen them do, they've never mentioned Elite at all.

Still really looking forward to it and they can take their sweet time perfecting it. E:D will last me a while. lol

It doesn't help when all the reactions are from people being blown away who have never heard of elite before to begin with. People are going out of their minds nuts about No Man's Sky... when they can play the granddaddy of them all, right now, today, with better graphics, in VR.

Mindlog

I built a cockpit for racing games using a wheel stand pro and a G27 racing wheel, and I'm putting together a second for flight sims. I've already ordered another wheel stand pro that I plan on attaching this stuff too, and I have a Saitek x52 Pro. I'm gonna get some saitek rudders next and put it all together.

My last step is to get a nice, comfortable chair for these games and to attach a few buttkickers to it to give myself full body rumble. I use some skull candy wireless headphones for audio.

All I can say is that this shit is awesome.
I've been meaning to do that for the longest time for both my home theater and gaming setups. CV1 would probably be an encouragement to get it done.

Soi-Fong

I don't know if it's just the right time, the rise of crowdfunding, the birth of VR, or what, but the space sim genre is undergoing a massive Renaissance right now. It's absolutely amazing. The genre was essentially dead and buried for like 2 decades and now suddenly it's back with a vengeance, and all these projects are very impressive. Don't forget we have star citizen coming too, and if you want something more arcadey, there is Eve Valkyrie.

It doesn't help when all the reactions are from people being blown away who have never heard of elite before to begin with. People are going out of their minds nuts about No Man's Sky... when they can play the granddaddy of them all, right now, today, with better graphics, in VR.

I think if anything, it may be because, NMS is coming out for the consoles. NMS is really the "biggest" game in terms of scale and freedom and that's just something that you don't see in console games.

I look forward to seeing what Hello Games does. I would suggest for them though to not be too secretive. As we get closer to release of E:D, people WILL start comparing the two whether they like it or not.

Krejlooc

Banned
I've been meaning to do that for the longest time for both my home theater and gaming setups. CV1 would probably be an encouragement to get it done.

It's actually the racing sim nuts who are recommending the buttkickers to me, they say being able to feel your car idle is incredible. But I read someone's account of Elite Dangerous with a buttkicker and they said the rumble of your engine as it throttles up completes the illusion that you're in this cockpit.

I'd been considering one for a long while but that pretty much sold me on them.

Soi-Fong

It's actually the racing sim nuts who are recommending the buttkickers to me, they say being able to feel your car idle is incredible. But I read someone's account of Elite Dangerous with a buttkicker and they said the rumble of your engine as it throttles up completes the illusion that you're in this cockpit.

I'd been considering one for a long while but that pretty much sold me on them.

How much are buttkickers? I'm still wondering exactly how they work. lol

Krejlooc

Banned
I think if anything, it may be because, NMS is coming out for the consoles. NMS is really the "biggest" game in terms of scale and freedom and that's just something that you don't see in console games.

I look forward to seeing what Hello Games does. I would suggest for them though to not be too secretive. As we get closer to release of E:D, people WILL start comparing the two whether they like it or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for No Man's Sky as well, I welcome it with open arms. I'm just much more excited about the 3 elephants in the room - Elite, Star Citizen, and Eve Valkyrie. All 3 are parts of long running, established series (or, in star citizen's case, a spiritual successor). All 3 are made by teams and companies that essentially created the genre. It's hard to get as excited for No Man's Sky when they're the new kid on the block going up against these pedigrees.

Also, they need to announce VR support for NMS to really draw me in. I don't think I can ever play a flight game - space or not - without VR support again. The ability to look around is a game changer. I mean that without hyperbole, it completely changes the experience IMO. As in, I feel the games actually play differently.

How much are buttkickers? I'm still wondering exactly how they work. lol

Depends on which one you get. You can get pucks for like $20, but you'll want something with kick.

They work by turning the game's audio into a lot of bass. They're basically giant speakers connected to your chair. That means the game has to make a rumbling noise to actually be felt. Some buttkickers have APIs and SDKs such that you can manipulate them directly, but almost nothing supports this. Most people just use them with any game and trust the sound design of the game enough such that they'll feel rumble correctly. I know it's supposed to work well enough in Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous, at least, and I'm sure it'll work well enough in Project CARS and Star Citizen.

Soi-Fong

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for No Man's Sky as well, I welcome it with open arms. I'm just much more excited about the 3 elephants in the room - Elite, Star Citizen, and Eve Valkyrie. All 3 are parts of long running, established series (or, in star citizen's case, a spiritual successor). All 3 are made by teams and companies that essentially created the genre. It's hard to get as excited for No Man's Sky when they're the new kid on the block going up against these pedigrees.

Also, they need to announce VR support for NMS to really draw me in. I don't think I can ever play a flight game - space or not - without VR support again. The ability to look around is a game changer. I mean that without hyperbole, it completely changes the experience IMO. As in, I feel the games actually play differently.

Depends on which one you get. You can get pucks for like $20, but you'll want something with kick.

They work by turning the game's audio into a lot of bass. They're basically giant speakers connected to your chair. That means the game has to make a rumbling noise to actually be felt. Some buttkickers have APIs and SDKs such that you can manipulate them directly, but almost nothing supports this. Most people just use them with any game and trust the sound design of the game enough such that they'll feel rumble correctly. I know it's supposed to work well enough in Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous, at least, and I'm sure it'll work well enough in Project CARS and Star Citizen.

I'm still waiting on DK2 to get my VR fix for E:D. But all I hear is that you no longer look at a screen of a cockpit, but instead, you're in the cockpit, you're the pilot and all you see around you is space.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm still waiting on DK2 to get my VR fix for E:D. But all I hear is that you no longer look at a screen of a cockpit, but instead, you're in the cockpit, you're the pilot and all you see around you is space.

Right, but what you can't anticipate is how the cockpit is entirely glass, letting you look all around yourself. The first flight sim I played was actually War Thunder and it blew my mind. I have never flown a real plane before, only played flight sims. for years I just assumed flight was incredibly hard, because looking at a screen in front of you gives you such a limited view. When I played war thunder and was able to look around, I was so amazed at how much that improved my ability to orient myself in 3D. It's really hard to explain, but because I can fix my gaze on real-world landmarks around or under me as I navigate myself, I am able to much better understand where I am in the world. It's ridiculous how much this helps, especially when in a dog fight. If an enemy climbs above you and starts breaking off in a direction to your right, on a conventional screen, you absolutely have to rely on radar or some sort of HUD to help you keep track of where he is relative to your ship. In VR, none of that matters - he breaks off around you, you just look around and keep him in your sight. You actually follow him with your eyes, going behind you. It works so well.

And that's not even getting into the actual act of navigating yourself. Things like barn storming in war thunder on a normal monitor is nearly impossible. it's so hard to gauge if you're lined up correctly. in VR, it's a breeze. You have so many cues that help you figure out if you're oriented correctly. It's a huge improvement.

All this is the reason they're saying VR players have a huge advantage according to their statistics. VR actually makes the games much easier to play.

That first time playing war thunder changed my expectations about flying. As in, I actually think differently about flight. My concept of what it's like to fly a plane has completely changed. The experience is brand new to me now. I'm being serious when I say I can never go back. It's that dramatic of a difference IMO.

ys45

We are witnessing some kind of rebirth for the old school genre on PC (thanks to KS)
I mean check Divinity: OS, Pillars of eternity, New Torment game (Don't remember the name) all old school CRPG games, heck even Ubisoft made an old school Might and magic

And now we see a revival on the SCI-FI genre on PC (which I missed because I did not had a computer at the time) and I'm perfectly OK with this !

Krejlooc

Banned
We are witnessing some kind of rebirth for the old school genre on PC (thanks to KS)
I mean check Divinity: OS, Pillars of eternity, New Torment game (Don't remember the name) all old school CRPG games, heck even Ubisoft made an old school Might and magic

And now we see a revival on the SCI-FI genre on PC (which I missed because I did not had a computer at the time) and I'm perfectly OK with this !

A bunch of Sci-fi adventure games are in the works right now for the Oculus Rift. Loading Human is advertising itself on having a modern implimentation of SCUMM, for example. Check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55W25hGqUyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9CEUXRVtI4

I honestly believe the spectacle of VR is a big part of what's making these genres come back.

goonergaz

wow, I can't believe people don't know what Elite is!? Hell I even had the kids playing Oolite for me it's one of the biggest games ever - light-years ahead of it's time.

GeoGonzo

wow, I can't believe people don't know what Elite is!? Hell I even had the kids playing Oolite for me it's one of the biggest games ever - light-years ahead of it's time.

Light-year is a measure of distance, not time *adjusts nerdy glasses*

I'm aware you and everyone else here knows this and you were just making a pun, but there you go!

ys45

A bunch of Sci-fi adventure games are in the works right now for the Oculus Rift. Loading Human is advertising itself on having a modern implimentation of SCUMM, for example. Check these out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55W25hGqUyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9CEUXRVtI4

I honestly believe the spectacle of VR is a big part of what's making these genres come back.

Whoa if VR games is really like that when Rift or Morpheus comes out I am so buying this.
Well you guys pretty much sold me on Elite lol I'm gonna check this as soon as I can beta is a little expensive thought

Us filthy standard beta players got invited now for single player only, to start to get a grip on the controls. And it seems I'll need it. It was almost impossible to keep track of a moving target with dragging the mouse around, so I went with the 360 controller. I did a little better with that - managed to finally take down my target by ramming him :D.

Soi-Fong

Us filthy standard beta players got invited now for single player only, to start to get a grip on the controls. And it seems I'll need it. It was almost impossible to keep track of a moving target with dragging the mouse around, so I went with the 360 controller. I did a little better with that - managed to finally take down my target by ramming him :D.

2nd scenario or the third scenario with the Sidewinder? The third scenario is actually pretty difficult.

Buggy Loop

Along with that, these will be 1:1 scale but also, planetary bodies and such will not remain static but actually have an orbit around their respective stars. Same applies to moons. One of the big selling aspects Frontier have been saying is that every twinkle you see in the sky is a place that you can go to.

Just to show how amazingly detailed the star/planet/moon/dock orbits are in relation to the sun's lighting output, if you go to a space sport at certain times where the sun aligns with the door, it'll light up the interior too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q65mDp2xUc

DrBo42

Grabbing my post from the previous thread. Can anyone fill me in with a profitable trade route? Trying to get some money going. Absolutely terrible at the combat.

Boogdud

I notice in most of the videos I see of dangerous that they seem to do a lot of smooth panning around while looking. Are they using track IR or is that just hat switch panning?

LeBart

I notice in most of the videos I see of dangerous that they seem to do a lot of smooth panning around while looking. Are they using track IR or is that just hat switch panning?

I have head look mapped to a hat switch and while it's perfectly serviceable, I wouldn't exactly call it smooth, so I'm guessing the videos you mention use TrackIR.

Buggy Loop

TrackIR. Or the homemade version thats going on around on the official forums.

Oppo

I really want to bite on this. But I will have to run it on a Radeon 6850M 1Gb card for now (27" iMac circa 2012) and I don't know how it'll run (boot Camp of course). If it could manage 1080p with most effects I think I would be happy.

Soi-Fong

I really want to bite on this. But I will have to run it on a Radeon 6850M 1Gb card for now (27" iMac circa 2012) and I don't know how it'll run (boot Camp of course). If it could manage 1080p with most effects I think I would be happy.

Think you could run it, but you'll definitely have to turn down some settings.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Ugh, it is getting hard to wait out until release for this game, looks so damn beautiful and far more interesting than Star Citizen. Two things are stopping me right now, the price for entry and it seems you need joystick controls for it to play properly.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This is not getting the attention it deserves.

It doesn't deserve any positive attention when they're charging an outrageous amount of money to alpha/beta test their game for them.

When the full game is released it'll get plenty of attention.

What bothered me in No Man's Sky trailer was that there was some kind of Wily Coyote / Star Trek Generations logic going on with perspective and size of planets. I'm hoping they just cut it down for the trailer but the way it looked there was that it took like 5 seconds to go from high orbit to skimming the surface of the ground, and then another 5 seconds to leave and be in orbit again.

Beaner

I've just bought into standard beta and the expansion pass. Can't wait til you can walk around ships and stations and the like.

NotBacon

What bothered me in No Man's Sky trailer was that there was some kind of Wily Coyote / Star Trek Generations logic going on with perspective and size of planets. I'm hoping they just cut it down for the trailer but the way it looked there was that it took like 5 seconds to go from high orbit to skimming the surface of the ground, and then another 5 seconds to leave and be in orbit again.

Someone mentioned this is the case. It was just for the demo, and in reality the planets and distances will be much MUCH bigger.

pottuvoi

Banned
Been too long from last visit to stars.
Really hope I get my new joystick and computer table before the release..

golem

Boy do I suck at combat.. trying to get by with the Xbone controller, maybe time to invest in a joystick again.

Soi-Fong

It doesn't deserve any positive attention when they're charging an outrageous amount of money to alpha/beta test their game for them.

When the full game is released it'll get plenty of attention.

Oh you mean Star Citizen right..? You know, the game that charges 16 dollars for a pair of lasers.. Yeah that game.

While I do admit the game isn't cheap, the 150 I paid is pretty fair for this game. 150 nets you the full game plus the lifetime expansion pass plus all the betas. I paid an extra 50 to get in on an early already polished beta.

Standard Beta(which starts Jul 29th) costs 75 dollars; 15 more dollars than a normal priced game. Again, this includes the full game. The extra 15 is for beta priviledges. The expansion pass costs 50 dollars. Again, not outrageous considering COD does it every goddamn year with their season pass. Together, that's 125 dollars.

Now, let's compare this to Star Citizen that's turned into a PPS (Pay-Per-Ship) game right now. If you want to get a decent amount of ships, the entry price easily dwarfs Elite's beta entry price.

It's already been explained that the high entry price was put in to prevent a ton of people from getting in on the alpha and beta. What Frontier wanted was the most dedicated Elite fans contributing to this game. The ones that have waited more than 2 decades for the next game in the series.

They're the ones that have contributed heavily into this game affecting mechanics such as the hyper drive and super drive. The game has gotten better because of these dedicated fans contributing to its development.

Top Bottom