• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nintendo Preparing Large Scale Virtual Console & eShop Cross Buy Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Nintendo Enthusiast's sources, Nintendo is preparing a massive overhaul of the eShop that could include some sort of subscription-based service. Additionally, multiple developers speaking 'off the record' to Nintendo Enthusiast suggested that Nintendo was planning to implement cross-buy between 3DS and Wii U on a wide scale. Squids Odyssey recently became Nintendo's first cross-buy game, and there could be more to come soon.

Nintendo recently launched firmware update version 8.0 for 3DS which only listed "improved stability" as the cause for the upgrade, and 3DS and Wii U have both seen massive online maintenance this week. Emily Rodgers, who has scored the inside scoop on a few Nintendo announcements in the past, indicated that there's more to the story than that.

According to The Game Bakers, the developers of Squids Odyssey, Nintendo is working to allow for cross-buy from Wii U to 3DS, instead of the already-achieved reverse process.

These announcements were reportedly originally planned for E3, but were delayed to a later time. Hopefully we'll get some clarity on the matter soon via a Nintendo Direct.

SOURCE

Here is the Emily Rodgers tweet in question.

Could Nintendo actually be doing that? It sounds unusually progressive for them, as well as a bit of a pain to implement in the middle of the generation. I would have thought they would save it for their next systems.

Sony cross buy happened mid PS3, so why not?

Technically, it happened with the introduction of an entirely new system (PS Vita); this would be retroactively applying it to purchases it across two different systems, with a large overlap in terms of their Virtual Console libraries that users have thus far been forced to purchase individually already.

drotahorror

C'mon N64 and Gamecube VC.

Or are they saying cross buy virtual console stuff? I thought it may mean the virtual console is getting an overhaul with new titles being added or something.

I do understand the cross buy aspect.

L~A

Pretty sure that Nintendo Enthusiast is a banned website on GAF, and for good reasons. So yeah, not gonna trust one words of those "sources" of them.

Oh, and if you want to look believable, make sure you got your names right... it's Rogers, not Rodgers.

Would be nice if it extended to the Wii's VC. Paying a dollar/dollar fifty for something I can already play on the console itself is still pretty odd.

Laconic

Banned
crossbuy would be rad, but i just want my kids back the wii vc games the most.

Shades of inferior Punished dumpster diving, and declining to date Ellen's main squeeze.

On topic, I need this... but can we get Wii U Tablet support for games like Xenoblade that DON'T need a nunchuck?

NateDrake

Additionally, multiple developers speaking 'off the record' to Nintendo Enthusiast suggested that Nintendo was planning to implement cross-buy between 3DS and Wii U on a wide scale.

So, are they doing cross-buy between 3DS and Wii U or not? Were they planning or are they planning it?

joedick

I dunno, I suspect if either subscription or cross buy were coming soon we would've heard more sites talking about it. If they approached a bunch of studios to get om board the subscription service, there would've been more leaks. I know there are NDAs, but like when the Wii U controller was rumored, it seemed like every site had a source at a western studio dishing the dirt.

Also, didn't Rogers later tweet not to get too excited?

Berordn

They're just saying what the people want to hear.

Which would be fantastic, but they've got nothing other than wishful thinking and a strange version numbering system to support them.

Zomba13

I'll believe it when I see it. It's something that should be done, and then carry over into whatever future Nintendo consoles have the VC (and should have carried from Wii to Wii U, they even know if you have the Wii VC game on Wii U and give a discount, should give you the game for free).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think if they were really going to do this anytime soon they probably would have mentioned it at e3.

big_z

They better dump a massive number of games with this announcement because the library of games is seriously lacking right now.

I want my actraiser Nintendo!

Mariolee

Yeah, not sure how solid this source is. I trust Emily, but she isn't exactly being specific enough in her tweet to corroborate the story.

We should all take a wait and see approach, although it would be great.

watershed

Banned
It's a good thing if true, but I don't have much faith in these sources. Cross buy would be great but I hope there are more changes as well.

joedick

I'll believe it when I see it. It's something that should be done, and then carry over into whatever future Nintendo consoles have the VC (and should have carried from Wii to Wii U, they even know if you have the Wii VC game on Wii U and give a discount, should give you the game for free).

All this stuff would be nice, but they don't really owe you anything. Other systems don't carry over anything.

CDX

IF TRUE, hope my 3DS Ambassador games transfer over to my Wii U.

For those I wouldn't even mind paying the $1 or $1.50 "upgrade" fee.

Ah, I didn't realize Nintendo Everything was banned. I put in the source website here (Gamenesia) multiple times to make sure that one wasn't banned, and it doesn't seem to be, which is why I felt comfortable posting this.

Technically, it happened with the introduction of an entirely new system (PS Vita); this would be retroactively applying it to purchases it across two different systems, with a large overlap in terms of their Virtual Console libraries that users have thus far been forced to purchase individually already.

If you wanna get technical, minis and PSone games have been cross buy since a long time. A game I bought for PSP I was able to play and download on PSP, PS3 and Vita.

All I want is the full Virtual Console on 3DS. Hell, I'll settle for VC sans N64. Just give me portable Super Metroid and Earthbound
so I can retire my PSP.

VC's been a graveyard in Japan for the last two months, at least on 3DS. Wouldn't be surprised if they were intentionally holding some stuff back in preparation for this, assuming it's true.

NateDrake

Ah, I didn't realize Nintendo Everything was banned. I put in the source website here (Gamenesia) multiple times to make sure that one wasn't banned, and it doesn't seem to be, which is why I felt comfortable posting this.

Nintendo Everything is fine. Nintendo Enthusiast is the problem. They claimed Minecraft Wii U was happening based on nonsense.

If they start tying Virtual Console purchases to an account and make them portable, instead of locked down, I will probably buy a Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom