• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky will be playable offline

Lock for five billion years if old.

[Developer Sean] Murray adds that players will have the option to play the game offline, and name flora and fauna on their own terms.

Source: September 2014 issue of Edge magazine. (The full article is not online as of this time so you'll just have to trust me on this one.)

This is good news for me, because I hate the idea of a great game becoming completely unplayable when servers go down. That said I'm sure this game will also be really cool online, naming aliens and planets and finding ones other people have discovered, so everyone wins.

JeffGrubb

Yeah, the game is offline. It just checks online to see who first discovered a planet and stuff like that.

The game is using math to build the galaxy as you go along, but the same math will be on every disc ... if they sell it on disc.

That's Great. But will there be a way to play with your friends? Even though everyone starts on a different planet. I like the idea of exploring and adventuring with people I know.

TomShoe

Banned
mayweather-money.gif

Blizzard

Banned
I'm glad to hear this. In addition to being able to play it as single-player, it should be nice to avoid people troll-naming planets, or certain animals being completely extinct if the developers go through with that idea.

LordOfChaos

Some questions come to mind about the flip-flopability of the online/offline experience. Are your discovered/saved worlds still present in your universe if you go offline? If you make discoveries offline, would they show up in the overworld for everyone else when online?

That's Great. But will there be a way to play with your friends? Even though everyone starts on a different planet. I like the idea of exploring and adventuring with people I know.
I think they've ruled out that kind of co op already, and said it was unlikely you'd run into anyone at all. I don't know for sure though.

Disgraced

Excellent news.

Singleplayer forevs. I don't really prefer--actually, I pretty much hate anything in which I'm forced into cooperation or competition with other people. People bring me down, often when I'm already really low.

Lemme explore the endless wondrous galaxy with me, myself, and I. And without assholes shooting shit at me for giggles.

Krakn3Dfx

You would think as much as they're talking about this game now with the media, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Surprise late 2014 release maybe?

Some questions come to mind about the flip-flopability of the online/offline experience. Are your discovered/saved worlds still present in your universe if you go offline? If you make discoveries offline, would they show up in the overworld for everyone else when online?
Great question, unfortunately, that's the last line of a paragraph of a sidebar so there are no further details in this article.

This is fantastic news. I was worried this wouldn't be the case, what with all the social elements that the game (seems to be) all about.

You would think as much as they're talking about this game now with the media, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Surprise late 2014 release maybe?

Surprise late 2014 announcement of the actual release date... maybe.

Pretty sure they've said you probably won't meet any other players.

Could be wrong though.

They've said that you can meet other players, but it's going to be very unlikely that you'll run across them because of how large the universe is. So they aren't advertising it as a feature even though it's actually possible.

They've said that you can meet other players, but it's going to be very unlikely that you'll run across them because of how large the universe is. So they aren't advertising it as a feature even though it's actually possible.
If that's their vision of the game then I won't argue, though I hope they do consider some form of co op.

Good to hear, although it's not that surprising since the general idea is to explore the universe on your own.

I think they might go the Dark Souls way, choosing to go online or offline only. In other words, have a save game or profile for one or both of those modes, not being able to occasionally go online with the offline profile.

Not saying that's how they'll go about it, but it seems like the simplest way to solve that issue.

I thought depending on other players was a very huge part of this game.
Nope

"No Man's Sky is not a MMO. However, online interaction includes asynchronous pooling of players' discoveries into central database, as they collectively catalogue the universe. Social features as in-game chat are confirmed as well as currently undefined abilities for players to help each other remotely.

In-game multiplayer interaction is not confirmed at this stage. Hello Games describe any multiplayer implementation is likely to be similar to player phasing used in Journey or Dark Souls."

http://www.giantbomb.com/no-mans-sky/3030-44656/

Pretty sure they've said you probably won't meet any other players.

Could be wrong though.
They said the likelihood of stumbling upon another player (by chance) is very unlikely. Of course, if you know where you are and tell a friend then you can definitely meet up and explore together.

I thought depending on other players was a very huge part of this game.

This game is largely focused around exploration and discovering things no one else has done before. That can be done offline. All you're losing by going offline is the chance to bump into another non-NPC player and no one will see what you discovered/you won't see what anyone else discovered.

Leb

They said the likelihood of stumbling upon another player (by chance) is very unlikely.

Which should have some people scratching their heads and asking, "well, gee, why would they go to all the trouble of implementing realtime multiplayer and assume the expense of providing the necessary infrastructure for said multiplayer when encountering another human player is a virtual statistical impossibility?"

I don't think you're going to like the probable answer. Though to be fair, I don't think Hello Games has done a particularly good job of managing people's expectations.

KoopaTheCasual

More developers should release their games physical. The disc version of Minecraft on Xbox 360 was among top 10 highest selling games of 2013.
They could if they would. It's just that the upfront costs of physical distribution are steep, and the rewards while potentially worth it, are not guaranteed.

Top Bottom