• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky will be playable offline

Tigress

wtf is up with this post? is this more anti feminism bullshit leaking into other threads?

I just got that he was going to name something that just cause he could name it that and it was the first offensive thing he could think of.

That's just me.

(and yes, I hate that word myself, but I didn't get that he was trying to say anything by it but I could be wrong).

Everything I keep hearing make this game sounds better and better.

Yes, I know. I need to stop reading about it cause patience is not my virtue and this is making me impatient (and there's not even a release date or anything other than 2015 said).

It's bad enough I am waiting for Fallout to even be announced, I don't need more games I'm impatient for (as well as the more I hear about Witcher 3 the more I get excited).

*Sigh* Next year is going to be hard for me cause I'm not sure I can afford all the games I want.... this year was hard cause it seemed nothing really big came out and one of the few things I was excited for I hear might be a bust :(. And the other one is now having people start wondering if it won't be next year too (damnit Rockstar).

Anyways, this game sounds phenomenal. I just hope it and Witcher 3 aren't out near each other, heh. Both sound like games that could have my attention for a long time (if I really like a game and it's large/open world, I can spend a long time on it. 200+ hours on both Fallout 3 and Vegas, 400 on Skyrim. I don't know on GTA V. I like open world games with good environments to explore).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would have surprised me if you couldn't play offline. Nothing in the game really depends on any online stuff, you just lose out on shared discoveries and all that (and also some other things I think will be synced between players, like how much of the resources of a planet has been mined). But personally I wouldn't want to play this offline. I want to know if a planet I land on has already been discovered or not, etc.

There isn't one set in stone, but I recall in an interview Sean Murray saying he would be sad if the game didn't release within a year. (That was at E3).
I'm guessing they're aiming for March/April time period.

That said, if it's not ready to go in March, I'll gladly wait until November and beyond.

HeeHo

yeah, i assumed it was playable offline the whole time too. if it hadn't been, i would've started caring a lot less. kinda one of the reasons i don't give a fudge about Destiny, tbh.

just glad they aren't blessing us with the power of some sort of 'cloud'.

EL CUCO

Would have surprised me if you couldn't play offline. Nothing in the game really depends on any online stuff, you just lose out on shared discoveries and all that (and also some other things I think will be synced between players, like how much of the resources of a planet has been mined). But personally I wouldn't want to play this offline. I want to know if a planet I land on has already been discovered or not, etc.

I think most of us will play online regardless, but its nice to know if servers go down or your Internet has issues you can still play :)

Vespene

From what they've been saying, running into another player would be a very rare event. Might not happen for days. When it does though, it's meant to be really special.

Since everyone starts at the extreme edges of the galaxy, gradually making their way to the middle, the player encounter rate would increase the closer you get to the galactic core. If you're playing online that is.

emb

Sweet. Now just confirm a disc, and my hype will be allowed to live and breathe and run free in the meadows.

Atomski

I think you're being a little to sensitive here. I call people 'cunt' and 'dick' all the time. Does that mean I hate women?

Eh Ive always hated the word and I feel like theres a huge difference between it and dick.. you say dick in a crowd its no big deal.. you say what he said and people will react.

Maybe its just the times.. but yeah I feel less tolerant of stuff like that.

EL CUCO

Eh Ive always hated the word and I feel like theres a huge difference between it and dick.. you say dick in a crowd its no big deal.. you say what he said and people will react.

I'm glad he'd name it that,
Penis
is played out :p

I read this too.

But what's the point playing offline? All players discover the universe together, meaning your map will give you more and more information about location of resources and info about life on planets as they are discovered.

I'm still wondering whether they'll lock it behind online subscription because it seems more like asynchronous play.

Haunted

I don't think it'll make much of a difference in terms of naming things, given the size of the universe. You're unlikely to come across other players or where other players have been.

I think the only worthwhile feature of the online play would really be the "shared" star map being filled out little by little.

So… vaginas are offensive and penises are a-okay, or is it the other way around?

;) <3

iosefe

wonderful...can we name planets?

if there isn't already a planet with an orange sky named Aurora, i will name one

So you can play without every planet being named after Mr. Wong Burger's home world? :D

Given the size of the galaxy that is being created, you'll be lucky if you come across even one initially. Totally serious. In fact, it could be so rare that you'll be giddy and screenshot that shit immediately to show off the fact that you came across a planet someone else had named early on. I imagine as you make your way closer and closer to the galactic core, real estate is a bit tighter but I don't think we're going to be inundated with crass names popping up frequently at all.

Nafai1123

Banned
Did not expect this at all. So I guess the world infrastructure is kinda like Minecraft, except everyone stars off with the same seed? From how they described it, it sounded like there would not be enough local storage to handle the game client side.

Did not expect this at all. So I guess the world infrastructure is kinda like Minecraft, except everyone stars off with the same seed? From how they described it, it sounded like there would not be enough local storage to handle the game client side.

That's it right there. We're all occupying the same galaxy in that sense, but that thing is massive.

but I don't think we're going to be inundated with crass names popping up frequently at all.

You severely underestimate the power of anonymity through the internet.

Offline for me. I don't want to run across a "Dickinyourmouthasaurus" or a "Bong420666avore" in my game. That shit really pisses me off. Reminds me of the shit I had to see in Spore when suddenly everyone who played was 13 and in middle school.

Offline for me. I don't want to run across a "Dickinyourmouthasaurus" or a "Bong420666avore" in my game. That shit really pisses me off. Reminds me of the shit I had to see in Spore when suddenly everyone who played was 13 and in middle school.
Hey, no one has ever tried to claim that history's great explorers are the wisest or most mature folk! This is just the modern frontier of it!
So so kidding.
(I am not disagreeing with you, but I would chuckle at the bolded)

On the flip side, people could probably form online communities via message boards that had desirable lists of names for things so we got a more ... diverse selection? Could theme entire planets with names of a specific lore, fiction genre, whatever. I'd probably participate in a project like that.

Edit: Right, and please feed me this game ASAP.

Glad it's possible but, playing online seems like that would have been what most of the point of this game would have been wouldn't it? Maybe finding something else that someone else has found and see how they traversed the planet and stuff.

Oh I don't mean that people won't name things like that, just that the sheer size of the galaxy is so vast that coming across a planet that was previously visited at all-- especially at the game's initial onset-- is statistically highly improbable if Hello Game's is starting everybody far apart from each other. I'm just saying that you could still play online and likely not come across a mountain of trollishly named... well, mountains... with any sort of regularity.

Atomski

Get outta here with that garbage. What about that word is anti feminist apart from your rather silly and poor attempt to link it to it?
Maybe it's because the Internet is just making me sick lately it's just so damn full of unjust hate.

So… vaginas are offensive and penises are a-okay, or is it the other way around?

;) <3

There are many different words to refer to human genitalia... cunt is without a doubt the most vulgur.

Anyways I'm done here..

I haven't been following the game's news lately, but is there any fps action in it? hunting animals? gathering item and crafting? story?

I think I've seen video of player hopping to spaceship and go to some space station and see a huge battle there, are those battles between real player like in typical multiplayer deathmatch setup or are those AI controlled battles?

I haven't been following the game's news lately, but is there any fps action in it? hunting animals? gathering item and crafting? story?

I think I've seen video of player hopping to spaceship and go to some space station and see a huge battle there, are those battles between real player like in typical multiplayer deathmatch setup or are those AI controlled battles?
They've been cagey about it but I imagine you will have a gun. There will be some kind of crafting, to improve your spacesuit and your ship. There will be a point to it all but it won't be a well defined narrative. You're unlikely to run into many people if any at all, but there are AI ships and factions.

They've been cagey about it but I imagine you will have a gun. There will be some kind of crafting, to improve your spacesuit and your ship. There will be a point to it all but it won't be a well defined narrative. You're unlikely to run into many people if any at all, but there are AI ships and factions.

That was definitely a part of the footage they showed around E3. In fact... lemme see if I can...

Yep, in the first part of the vid series over at Gamespot Mr. Murray flat out says:

Sean Murray said:
So you have things like the drones that we showed.. and you also have a weapon and we've shown some of that.. what you've got is [not an assault rifle] like an upgradable--- and this is going to sound really kind of boring but, like multi-tool...

And the vid shows a brief snip from one of the previous reveal trailers-- I'm thinking it's the one shown at last year's VGA's-- of the player firing the weapon at a drone-ish enemy.

Weapon talk starts around 3:00. [Youtube Link]

Top Bottom