• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky will be playable offline

Ahzrei

Banned
Yeah, I read this in the article when it first popped up.

I am extremely pleased about it. I was worried it would be only online- and that would suck. Now I just keep my fingers crossed for mod support on the PC version. (Let me dream)

valkyre

Wait I am confused.

The mathematical formula of the game doesnt alter if you play online or offline?

What I mean is, like Murray said in an interview, everything is created on the fly and one planet you discover will be there exactly the same when another player visits the same place in the galaxy. In other words, whatever you discover is the same for everyone.

So if I play offline and I discover a planet, that obviously wont be uploaded as my bragging rights, will someone else online discover the exact same planet as well? Down to the exact same geography/topography of the place?

Jesus this game/mathematical formula algorithm sounds like it is the work of absolute genius....

Alx

Jesus this game/mathematical formula algorithm sounds like it is the work of absolute genius....

There's no witchcraft to that, they only have a deterministic generation program. If you feed it the same input, it will generate the same output, even if the range of possibilities is huge.
Actually deterministic is easy to do, it's randomness that is hard to emulate in computer science (well, not "hard", but it requires additional attention, or you'll always get the same results to your queries)

I'm going to go full Bronson.

bronson-1-o.gif

i wonder how long ti'll take someone to min max travel times/engine tech to visit people and trade them for the clothes on their backs and their sworn allegiance to get the tech

Is it confirmed you can't play with your friends or other random people? If so, what's the point? If I'm going to explore a universe, I want to do so with my friends.

They have said that technically you can meet up with people, but that because of the sheer size of the universe the chances of it actually happening is very, very small.

The main reason for their responses is that they don't want people going into this thinking it's going to be like every other game where you think 'Im gonna go meet up with my friends' because it isn't that sort of game. It's all about exploring, being alone but connected in this shared universe.

We can really name things ourselves? No randomized words or whatever? Even individual first time discovered plants and stuff? Oh boy muhahaha :D

My bet is that there will be a word filter at least.
But... will it allow multiple things to have the same name or will it check the server each time?

Oxymoron

They have said that technically you can meet up with people, but that because of the sheer size of the universe the chances of it actually happening is very, very small.

Do you have a source on this? I can't find it. The closest thing I can find is "There are elements where you'll get crossover and interaction with other players, but that's not what this game is about.", and that's pointedly not saying that you can meet and play with other people.

Raist

Banned
Do you have a source on this? I can't find it. The closest thing I can find is "There are elements where you'll get crossover and interaction with other players, but that's not what this game is about.", and that's pointedly not saying that you can meet and play with other people.

He's said that in multiple interviews during E3. Can't be arsed to look for links but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Im at work so can't look for it but it was from a video on the PlayStation Blog recently, the interview is about 17 minutes long I think and that pretty much exactly what he says with regards to multiplayer.

Santar

This is great news as I too really hate it when games require a internet connection to work.
Now I can really start looking forward to the game!

kyser73

Eh Ive always hated the word and I feel like theres a huge difference between it and dick.. you say dick in a crowd its no big deal.. you say what he said and people will react.

Maybe its just the times.. but yeah I feel less tolerant of stuff like that.

What's interesting about the debate about that word is the yawning gulf between the US & other English-speaking nations. Back in the UK about 2/3 of the feminists & women I knew used the word frequently, and it's the basis for 'Tucker's law' from the TV show 'The thick of It':

NSFW BTW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N5p27Lr8y2s

And yet, I still don't have the slightest idea what this game is about.

Looks awesome though....

AFAIK it's essentially a dumbed down Elite. Not sure why people are excited about this when Elite Dangerous is coming out and will probably blow this away, but at least this game isn't promising Heaven and Earth like Star Citizen.

kyser73

AFAIK it's essentially a dumbed down Elite. Not sure why people are excited about this when Elite Dangerous is coming out and will probably blow this away, but at least this game isn't promising Heaven and Earth like Star Citizen.

NMS is probably closer - or an evolution of - the original Elite in its emphasis on the single player experience - certainly for me it harks back to games like Starglider 1&2, Starstrike 1&2 and other similar games from the 8-bit era.

Dangerous is definitely the Elite game I envisioned when I played it on a BBC b microcomputer, but NMS's visuals and seeming scope make it a game rooted in SF lore and I look forward to them both equally. Even if I won't be playing Dangerous until I build a better PC.

Fantastic news. The main sticking point against the game for me was the poorly-defined online integration that was mentioned during or after the VGX.

Fantastic news. The main sticking point against the game for me was the poorly-defined online integration that was mentioned during or after the VGX.

It isn't poorly defined, it's just most people haven't bothered watching any of the interviews where it's been discussed.

Oxymoron

Okay so I found this weird and vague thing re: simultaneous multiplayer:
TSA: We were under the impression that it’d feature multiplayer… is that something you’re aiming for?

Sean: No, it’s not… you can come across other players, but it’s not like an MMO that we’re making, and actually space is so vast that the chances of you coming across someone is very slim.

TSA: But there will be other players existing in the universe?

Sean: Yeah, we all share the same universe, but we generally don’t want people to think of it in those terms, it’s not the core of the game.

TSA: So it’s kind of Journey style – you won’t know who someone is?

Sean: Yeah… bang on. That’s what I normally say: think of Journey, I really like the multiplayer in that.

I'm super skeptical that they're going to be going through the trouble of implementing a simultaneous multiplayer element in the game in order to have it almost never matter, but *shrug*

bayman

Neo Member
Is it confirmed you can't play with your friends or other random people? If so, what's the point? If I'm going to explore a universe, I want to do so with my friends.

The point is that not every game is designed around MP, is that a mind blowing concept or something? The only thing that's been confirmed is that the main game isn't going to give you the tools to play with your friends easily. They have been pretty adamant about flinging everyone across the universe to begin. They haven't said you can't spend your time and energy meeting up with specific people from there, but expect that to take a lot of time as you build up the ability to actually travel quickly. If you don't like that, the game isn't meant for you.

prudislav

kinda hilarious
http://www.p4rgaming.com/no-mans-sky-offline-mode-created-after-developers-got-tired-of-finding-planets-named-after-penises/

As reported in the latest Edge magazine, players can discover the infinite universe of No Man’s Sky without having to play online. It was originally not a high priority goal for the team until they discovered that over 70 percent of nameable objects were named after penises.ontheplanetofsexstraliaWhile the goal of the game is to journey to the center of the universe, exploring the vastness of space is the main attraction. Every planet, every animal, and every plant can be named by the first discoverer. The team at Hello Games admitted that they knew what was coming but never thought it would be this bad.

“When we held the first semi-open beta for the game, I was pretty optimistic until I came across Cocktopia,” said Sean Murray, managing director, “It only got worse when I actually landed on Cocktopia and discovered an animal named Dicksucker33. Apparently, Dicksucker1 to Dicksucker32 were already taken.”

“I just kept hoping that I would see anything that wasn’t so crude,” recalled Murray, “The first thing I saw that was sort of acceptable was a planet named Guns For All. But then I landed and discovered that this person apparently has a grudge against blacks, women, Asians, the list goes on. I never knew that animals could be so racist.”

One of the members at Hello Games actually contributed to this mess. Creative director David Ream was initially put off by how crude it all was, but then admitted that the unconventional naming eventually got to him. At one point, he started to enjoy naming things after penises and vaginas but was then told by other team members to stop.

“It was also difficult to find a plant that wasn’t named after some variant of marijuana,” continued Murray, “I mean, it was funny the first time walking through a field of Green Ganjas and 420s. The twentieth time, not so much. And if it wasn’t marijuana, it would be pubic hair or something else. I don’t really know why I expected better.”

Offline mode was also requested by some players because they knew their creativity would be dwarfed by others online.

“It just took me out of the game to see a planet named Deep Vagina Six,” said tester OryKatanoz, “I knew there was no way I could be that creative so I restarted the game in the hopes of finding less creative people out there. And then I saw an animal called Muffdiver and that’s when I knew that I would never be able to express my creativity unless I could play by myself. Only then can I finally claim Dicksucker as my own and not have to settle for 34.”

One proposal to combat the awful names was to create a word filter that would block out anything undesirable. This did not go over well with players who were unable to come up with names for anything without having to resort to using the word dick or pussy.

Another proposal was the idea of making the multiplayer spawn points so distant from each other that players would never encounter another person while playing the game.

Hoo boy, I could've told them that from the start. Spore was famous for dick aliens and almost every game that allows for greater user input and creativity will be plagued by dicks and immature names and phrases. Although, from the article I don't really understand how they're actually going to deal with this. Sure, have an offline mode for anyone who wants it but how does that prevent everyone online crudely naming their planets and discoveries? Sounds like the proposals at the end of the article were scrapped and I don't really see how placing people far away from each other changes much (and it's also already one of the base gameplay elements as they've continuously mentioned) if the discovered planets are all named Dicksucker and Cocktopia.

Hoo boy, I could've told them that from the start. Spore was famous for dick aliens and almost every game that allows for greater user input and creativity will be plagued by dicks and immature names and phrases. Although, from the article I don't really understand how they're actually going to deal with this. Sure, have an offline mode for anyone who wants it but how does that prevent everyone online crudely naming their planets and discoveries? Sounds like the proposals at the end of the article were scrapped and I don't really see how placing people far away from each other changes much (and it's also already one of the base gameplay elements as they've continuously mentioned) if the discovered planets are all named Dicksucker and Cocktopia.
p4gaming is like The Onion for video games. It's a joke site.

That said I'm sure all kinds of filters will be in place, either through Sony's end or Hello Games'.

prudislav

well judging by that site's history its complete satire of yet unknown full edge article
edit: ninja'd

(even though it was taken as serious news in czech Eurogamer), but overall it makes good point , spore was pretty plagued by this

I do NOT know or how or why it happened.... but i saw the thread title and read it as "No Man's sky will be playable tomorrow!"

Bricks were shit... then i learned to read... now i'm sad.

DMiz

p4gaming is like The Onion for video games. It's a joke site.

That said I'm sure all kinds of filters will be in place, either through Sony's end or Hello Games'.

Thank for god for that, although it would be supremely funny if this was actually the case.

I don't doubt that the game, when released, will have its fair share of players that are going to do this. But at the same time, given the amount of surprise that No Man's Sky has generated among enthusiasts and press alike, I'm hoping there are enough people naming things with cool names that it will take precedent.

Has there been any word of the title being localized in other countries, by the way? Curious to know how that might work out.

DMiz

Considering there's very little story to it, I imagine localization would be very easy.

Right, sorry, I guess I meant it in a sense that it'd be interesting of countries that use completely different symbol systems for their languages were also getting that game.

In that instance, it'd be cool if we came across, for example, plants or the like rendered in Asian scripts, and similarly cool if the developers found some way to basically translate characters into the most relevant pinyin and/or Latin-based approximation. Might get some awesome translations, but if there is a filtering system put in place to prevent profanities, it might get awfully complex to account for cultural differences, etc.

Top Bottom