• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Williams' "The Lost World" theme is SO EFFIN GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
...and your other favorite lesser-known John Williams music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hxzrluB8Lg

The unrelenting, bombastic terror! The pulsing timpani and trombones! The dark, resonating tribal drum rolls that sound like groaning dinosaurs! Those bizarre off-kilter ethereal melodic lines! Those jaunty, adventurous rhythms! The shrill horns and lightning fast trumpet passages! The way all the chaos is pinned together by a strong sturdy melody -- a notable case of a minor-key melody being harmonized with all major chords! So unusual! So brilliant! So John Williams!!

tumblr_mrtwz0LRcu1rob81ao5_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mrtwz0LRcu1rob81ao2_r1_250.gif
tumblr_mrtwz0LRcu1rob81ao6_r1_250.gif

This isn't your father's Jurassic Park film score.

Listen to the intricate battle between the broad, sweeping horn/string theme (representing the heroic invading humans) from the first part, and the frenzied scalic counter-motif (representing the anarchy of dinosaur life on the island) that begins to overtake it through the middle and end sections.

From 2:05 to 2:58, there's this impressive build-up where the underlying bass rhythmic pattern stays firmly entrenched on the same note, yet the melodies and counter-melodies above leap and soar, making the sudden shift into a new key at 2:58 a thrilling turn!

And those epic finale chords! Smack you in the face! So good.

lw-17.gif

BowieZ

Banned
Reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy
Yep. There's a strong influence of Williams across much of Mahito Yokota's orchestral fare. Pulsating, almost militaristic rhythms with strong fanfare-like melodies that flirt with unusual chords and twisting, shifting counter-melodies and harmonies.

Snakepit

My favorite score in that movie was when Eddie was trying to pull the RV up and both the T-Rexs came back... simply incredible

How's JW been doing lately health wise? Every since really Revenge of the Sith he's done dramatically less scores.

I understand that he's supposed to be back for Episode VII but not necessarily the two sequels?

BowieZ

Banned
How's JW been doing lately health wise? Every since really Revenge of the Sith he's done dramatically less scores.

I understand that he's supposed to be back for Episode VII but not necessarily the two sequels?
As far as I'm aware, he's agreed to do all 3 of them, although I'm not sure if he's officially signed on or what the protocol is, especially given his age.

Otherwise, his health is fine! His mother only died recently... (EDIT: well, in 2006)

SJRB

Gold Member
The Lost World OST is incredible for sure. 'Malcolm's Journey' and 'The Trek' are pretty amazing, I love the tribal influence, heavy drums and all that.

Best part is the segment in the tall grass with the velociraptors. You know, the part which ISN'T ON THE SOUNDTRACK. So frustrating, haha.

Edit: listening to the soundtrack right now, haha. Makes me want to watch the movie. I really hope Jurassic World delivers.

John Williams is amazing. The Lost World sucked, but his score was just as good as JP.

The Star Wars prequels sucked, but again the music is just as good as the OG trilogy.

*respect*

The Lost World's soundtrack is incredible, better than the movie it's in. Does a better job of selling an expedition into an untamed primeval wilderness than the movie actually does. I love the dark recurring motif of the island that you can hear early on in the soundtrack.

Mistel

Banned
I like lost worlds theme more than the first one. Doesn't come close to the theme for Nedry stealing the embryos though.

Carlius

Banned
is this movie considered good? i always thought it was great until the city part, then i just thought it was ridiculous.

metzger203

The Lost World has an amazing soundtrack! I listen to it while playing Primal Carnage. Fits perfectly and makes the game much more intense.

Cipherr

Its gymnastics! I know this!
LLShC.gif

:lol I couldnt help but think that after that scene. They just HAAAAAAAAAAAD to have an equally awkward scene in the second movie I guess.

Ramza

Banned
I agree. I love that theme so much. And, like someone said above, the movie is actually really good before the gymnastics & San Diego scenes.

maxcriden

Wait, Bowie, the JP sequels are good? (I've never seen them but loved the original. Only saw it for the first time a year or two ago though.)

I saw him conduct the Symphony Orchestra here in Pittsburgh about 2 years ago. He conducted all his greatest works with a montage of clips playing from the movies. It was outstanding. He seemed in good health & high spirits.

I think he's just settling down & doesn't need to score a ton of films anymore. I think it actually makes his current work more special when he does decide to do a film.

watershed

Banned
I love the bombastic opening to the Lost World theme, but the main motif itself is very poorly developed and not nearly as expressive of adventure and wonder as the first Jurassic Park theme. As a single piece it seems more like a stitching together of several action phrases and transitional cues. It's fun to listen to but not much more than that.

My personal favorite "underrated" John Williams work is his entire score to Memoirs of a Geisha. He so masterfully mixes in traditional Japanese instruments and textures without sounding like a western composer "aping" asian sounds. He keeps to what he does best while weaving in different musical textures. The score doesn't have a stand out theme though the cue titled Confluence is really, really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom