• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Music Appreciation Thread: Bring on the Trumpets! (X/Y soundtrack on 11/13!)

ayxqp2

Neo Member
I've always thought this was the case: Masuda writes it and then sends it to the designated arranger who will co-ordinate the soundfont

This seemed the most likely consideration to me as well, but what I find odd about it is that sequencing in the games' native soundfont from the get-go, as the track is being composed, would involve less work. One justification could be that writing with custom instruments first is less creatively restraining, but that was never really a problem before. :p It would disappoint me if Masuda's only contribution was sort of a loose melodic foundation, but the tracks still stylistically bear his "mark" so at present I have no way of confidently asserting what the full story is.

That said, the track list for the B2W2 score mentions that the "Gym Leader's Final Pokemon" theme was "composed" by both Masuda & Ichinose, so it's probably safe to assume that Ichinose added in that gorgeous second stanza (not to mention it very much resembles the climax of his Frontier Brain battle tune from Emerald). The World Champion theme's composition is entirely Masuda's though so I hope that unique key progression at the beginning was his!

I kept thinking Colress' battle theme was Sato, but yeah, incorporating the event theme motif into the battle theme is something they've done a few times before.

I should probably speak a bit about the X/Y soundtrack. Adachi is far more versatile than I've given her credit for in the past; Route 8, Cyllage City, Dendemille Town, the Gate theme, and even that unsettling riff that plays when Lysandre makes his sporadic story appearances ("Dark Skies") are all among my favorites. She, like Morikazu Aoki, is immensely capable when given more time in the spotlight. I found Kageyama's Routes 2 and 4 charming as well, with 18 being a late-game stunner. It's a shame Ichinose is MIA, but even without him I thought the score surpassed the previous two generations, barring the more tepid lineup of battle themes. Actually, what I fear most is that Masuda will stop composing battle music altogether (he's already winding down), and we'll be left with themes that come across as shallow imitations. That said, the other members of the sound team shouldn't be afraid to break their own ground if it comes to Masuda forgoing his musical duties altogether. Kageyama's "Super Training" and "It's a Pokemon Battle!" tracks could actually fill in the traditional battle theme style better than the Rival battle theme for instance. The Super Training music actually reminds me of this cool thing from about 0:42 onward, which I already thought bore a faint resemblance to older battle themes' sensibilities.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The music's quality is a lot better in the OST, makes me wish the 3DS had better speakers.

Nah it's not the speakers, since even the lead-in recording aren't as good as the OST. Probably the 3DS audio rendering or the cart space.

Joqu

Do we know the reason behind Go Ichinose absence in XY? Did he get too busy due to that Soriti Horse thing or what

Do we know the reason behind Go Ichinose absence in XY? Did he get too busy due to that Soriti Horse thing or what
He was also lead designer on Soriti Horse, which goes together with the design work he did on an earlier Game Freak game (Bushi Seiryuuden). So yeah, pretty busy guy, and he's not the most energetic member of the sound team.

This seemed the most likely consideration to me as well, but what I find odd about it is that sequencing in the games' native soundfont from the get-go, as the track is being composed, would involve less work. One justification could be that writing with custom instruments first is less creatively restraining, but that was never really a problem before. :p It would disappoint me if Masuda's only contribution was sort of a loose melodic foundation, but the tracks still stylistically bear his "mark" so at present I have no way of confidently asserting what the full story is.

None of us, really, which is why interviewing Ichinose and the rest should be a priority.

Adachi is far more versatile than I've given her credit for in the past; Route 8, Cyllage City, Dendemille Town, the Gate theme, and even that unsettling riff that plays when Lysandre makes his sporadic story appearances ("Dark Skies") are all among my favorites. She, like Morikazu Aoki, is immensely capable when given more time in the spotlight.

Adachi's gotten competitive with her music work recently: she headed the soundtrack for HarmoKnight alongside her friends from PURE-SOUND in addition to doing this installment. I can see her outpacing Sato in quantity and quality, give or take a few Gens.

Actually, what I fear most is that Masuda will stop composing battle music altogether (he's already winding down), and we'll be left with themes that come across as shallow imitations. That said, the other members of the sound team shouldn't be afraid to break their own ground if it comes to Masuda forgoing his musical duties altogether. Kageyama's "Super Training" and "It's a Pokemon Battle!" tracks could actually fill in the traditional battle theme style better than the Rival battle theme for instance. The Super Training music actually reminds me of this cool thing from about 0:42 onward, which I already thought bore a faint resemblance to older battle themes' sensibilities.
Those themes are great—I can't for the world understand why Kageyama would relegate them to a mini-game when the rest of the battle themes could use some work. Ichinose, arguably, can do a great battle theme here and there, the top example being his Frontier Brain thing. Fresh variations on the classic battle-tune structure and breaks from tradition should be encouraged (Masuda's work on Iris' battle theme, for example). I doubt Masuda will ever retire from composing something new for each game: he has a few successors in mind for directing future games (Unno, probably Sato, probably not Ichinose, possibly Turner!), and he likes to keep busy, so there's that to his advantage. What I want from the Game Freak sound team is a rearrange album headed by musicians old and new, each taking a few of their favorite tracks and/or themes and giving them another whirl.

ayxqp2

Neo Member
Ah yes, I forgot Adachi wrote the HarmoKnight score. I loved the main theme's leitmotif, and the rest of the music was lovely.

Masuda didn't write any new battle themes for Black and White 2 actually. I remembered thinking Iris' battle music was kind of gimmicky and poorly suited to tell the truth. The new themes were slick and novel at the time, but I find the only one I really care for much now is Colress'.

I wonder if we'll ever get themes in the highly technical, pseudo-classical vein of Gold and Silver again. I know you weren't crazy about them but I'm hoping eventually for less techno/pop and something more elaborate in phrasing, with a complex counterpoint and tasteful coordination between the voices.

The soundtracks for FireRed and LeafGreen are up on iTunes! 90 tracks for $11.99.

I read that they're planning on releasing soundtracks for all the other games as well! I had no clue how much I wanted this until now!

Wichu

With the recent Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire announcement, I think it's time for a thread revival.

So far, the FireRed / LeafGreen, HeartGold / SoulSilver, Ruby / Sapphire, Diamond / Pearl, Black / White, and X / Y soundtrack are on iTunes.

Black 2 / White 2 (including Emerald and Platinum as bonus tracks) is expected to arrive on Tuesday (May 13th).

Anyway, back to Ruby / Sapphire. The creator of Pokémon Reorchestrated: Kanto Symphony worked on a collab last winter, Pokémon Reorchestrated: Double Team!. It's definitely worth checking out, since unlike Kanto Symphony, it's played by a live string orchestra.

Double Team: Aqua and Magma
Double Team: Abandoned Ship

Unfortunately, no trumpets, but still amazing. My personal favourites from the album are Rise to Victory and Mélancolie Path.

On the topic of live music, the Nintendo Special Big Band performed a Pokémon medley. I don't think it's as good as their Smash Bros medley, though.

Finally, I was in a Mystery Dungeon mood a couple of weeks ago, and found this awesome medley. Also a Temporal Tower remix just because

Neat *_*

We would've probably heard it during VGC finals though. Also, looking at the game track list, every music track is an AAC file. Probably should've expected that, but yeah.

Wichu

Oh yeah, the Black 2/White 2 soundtrack came out on iTunes yesterday as I predicted in my last post. GET IT - it's amazing (plus it includes the Emerald/Platinum soundtracks).

Oh lol, I thought Coltraine meant the on-cart soundtrack was all AAC files. Glad it's on iTunes with the Emerald and Platinum music, but hearing that GF's moved to streaming would be big news.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Hmm one of the NPC reference Blue and Blue champion theme is hidden in the game... Hmm *puts on thinking cap*

Oh yeah, the Black 2/White 2 soundtrack came out on iTunes yesterday as I predicted in my last post. GET IT - it's amazing (plus it includes the Emerald/Platinum soundtracks).

So want to buy the Pokémon soundtrack but I don't want to create an iTunes account just to buy them.

I wish that the Pokémon company would release them for other platform.

A neat article about Junichi Masuda concerning his music background and his work on the games:

A Conversation with Pokémon’s Musical Maestro
Oh lol, I thought Coltraine meant the on-cart soundtrack was all AAC files. Glad it's on iTunes with the Emerald and Platinum music, but hearing that GF's moved to streaming would be big news.
Actually, that's exactly what I meant =_=

A small sample:
Code:
\---romfs
    +---sound
    |       bgm_xy_ajito.aac
    |       bgm_xy_battle_house.aac
    |       bgm_xy_bd_01.aac
    |       bgm_xy_bd_02.aac
    |       bgm_xy_bicycle.aac
    |       bgm_xy_boutique.aac
    |       bgm_xy_demo_legend_x.aac
    |       bgm_xy_demo_legend_y.aac
    |       bgm_xy_demo_opening.aac
    |       bgm_xy_demo_weapon_x.aac
    |       bgm_xy_demo_weapon_y.aac
    |       bgm_xy_dendouiri.aac
    |       bgm_xy_d_champroad.aac
    |       bgm_xy_ending.aac
    |       bgm_xy_epilogue.aac

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hoenn's soundtrack is still my favorite. The normal battle theme is the best in the entire series.

Also, what a fantastic OP. This might be a weird way to describe it, but it was like reading the script of a music-centric podcast. Excellent job.

Actually, that's exactly what I meant =_=
Ichinose and Masuda really have no excuse now that we know they're streaming tracks. Not that the file sizes should be so enormous they won't load in time, but it sounds like they've built the engine around file streaming, so that should allow for studio-recorded tracks sometime soon.

Cool article, too. And thank you for the praise. If I could, I'd gladly share podcasting duties with writers of my caliber.

Top Bottom