• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics (3DS) JP Boxart was drawn by... KEN SUGIMORI?!

Bya8lE5IAAAwHpA.png:orig

People noticed and indeed he retweeted Sega's post of it:

https://twitter.com/SUPER_32X

WOW, I'm shocked this was possible, isn't he technically a Game Freak employee and sort of by extension under Nintendo?

My words: HOLY SHIT! o_O

Not like Game Freak doesn't have history with Sega. (see: Pulseman) Pretty sure they've always been independent from Nintendo, too.

It's pretty damn neat to see, but not mindblowingly shocking in those respects.

Not like Game Freak doesn't have history with Sega. (see: Pulseman) Pretty sure they've always been independent from Nintendo, too.

It's pretty damn neat to see, but not mindblowingly shocking in those respects.

Yeah, but even then, GF has had no involvement with anyone outside Nintendo since what... Click Medic on PS1? They did just port that horse racing card game to iOS, but they've not worked with Sega in like two decades!

I heard, but are they not in Nintendo's building so there's that whole thing about Nintendo "owning" everyone in it? Still...

Game Freak is located in the Carrot Tower in Sanjengaya, Tokyo. My wife and I had drinks on the top floor of Carrot Tower and remember seeing a sign for them.

Sugimori is an artist, and he can do work for whoever he wants. he probably did it because he's friends with someone or Sega wanted someone to do it and he applied.

Just like Kojima and the Castlevania artwork. Her art for Castlevania was just a for hire type thing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy shit, I didn't even know there was a physical copy coming out.

But having said that, I suppose I'd be thankful just to get the newer games in the US at all.

He even did art for the girl from Quartet. Sugimori and Tajiri both played arcade games, the fodder of their writing for the Game Freak zine, so it's no surprise he would do the art for this retail pack.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't like it.

There was another thread where it was announced that Sugimori would be doing the artwork. I think I imagined there being less white space.

Still, bring the second run of 3D classics to NA. Come on, do it.

Busaiku

Even if Mr. Sugimori were a Nintendo employee, it's not so crazy for them to have their developers work on 3rd party games.

Monolith Soft did several games for Bandai Namco after they were acquired.
Brownie Brown did Fantasy Life, among other games.

Sagitario

Sugimori is an artist, and he can do work for whoever he wants. he probably did it because he's friends with someone or Sega wanted someone to do it and he applied.

Just like Kojima and the Castlevania artwork. Her art for Castlevania was just a for hire type thing.

Stop applying logic and common sense, Ska. This is a holy shit moment!
:p

Gameboy415

Looks flippin' rad!

I already have the digital versions of all the 3D classics on my US 3DS but I'm tempted to import this one too, haha.

L Thammy

Pokemon is co-owned by Nintendo, Game Freak is 100% independent. Sugimori is pimp.

If I recall, they even made a few games for PlayStation after Pokemon Red/Green were released. They could probably release games on other platforms now if they saw fit to.

Ken loves (old) Sega, especially Mega Drive. Hell his twitter handle is SUPER_32X. Just look at his twitter pictures:

Here's his 3DS:

Here's his iPhone case:

Here's his GameGear, in use 2014:

A super cool tshirt he got:

His bicycle:

He keeps a Mega Drive at work; played during a lunch break in this case:

His luggage bag!

I skimmed through a bunch of his tweets a few months back. Looked like he's drinking buddies with someone at M2 -- probably asked to draw the cover himself.

Also here's an interview Sega-16 featured (from 2007) about how much he loves the Mega Drive.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
this is truly a holy shit moment, I was not aware artists could draw pictures of other things.

GooeyHeat

This isn't all of them, I think it's just the Volume 1 stuff.
It looks like a mix of Volume 1 and Volume 2 stuff, actually; Space Harrier, Bare Knuckle (Streets of Rage), Ecco the Dolphin, and The Super Shinobi II (Shinobi III) are from the first set, but Outrun and Fantasy Zone are from the second.

L Thammy

this is truly a holy shit moment, I was not aware artists could draw pictures of other things.

Not all artists are freelance. If they're employed by a specific company and they're drawing things for pay, it shouldn't be surprising if they're restricted.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Toy tier boxart. Shame it will never come stateside.

This isn't that amazing. I mean Monolith Soft, a company 96% owned by Nintendo, developed Project X Zone. A game dealing with three third-party's and published by one.

Keyouta

I want to see Sugimori draw more stuff that isn't Pokémon, start doing other series and games, if he can. Love his work. Like the cover a lot.

Top Bottom