• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics (3DS) JP Boxart was drawn by... KEN SUGIMORI?!

Ken loves (old) Sega, especially Mega Drive. Hell his twitter handle is SUPER_32X. Just look at his twitter pictures:

Here's his 3DS:

Here's his iPhone case:

Here's his GameGear, in use 2014:

A super cool tshirt he got:

His bicycle:

He keeps a Mega Drive at work; played during a lunch break in this case:

His luggage bag!

I skimmed through a bunch of his tweets a few months back. Looked like he's drinking buddies with someone at M2 -- probably asked to draw the cover himself.

Also here's an interview Sega-16 featured (from 2007) about how much he loves the Mega Drive.

Ok now I have to follow this guy on twitter.

ash_ag

Game Freak's culture always felt like a blend of Nintendo, Sega and Namco. It's no coincidence that those are the publishers of their most milestone games during their early days. Ken Sugimori especially has no problem showing his Sega love. SUPER_32X is also his handle on Miiverse. He draws some cool stuff sometimes.

Incidentally, I really like how elegant the boxart looks. His Smash 4 artwork looked a bit bloated, which is how collaboration artwork often ends up, but this one is really neat.

Forkball

OP sounds like he went into cardiac arrest after seeing that cover.

Sugimori is one of the FOUNDERS of Game Freak. He can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Reading this, I thought I'd go to the eshop and get OutRun 3D... but these games haven't even come out in the west apparently, wtf?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Reading this, I thought I'd go to the eshop and get OutRun 3D... but these games haven't even come out in the west apparently, wtf is going on?

There are two "volumes" of Sega 3D Classics: the first volume is out everywhere, the second volume is only out in Japan. This retail release is a mix of games from each volume plus a couple little extras.

Sea of America/Europe hasn't yet indicated they'll be bringing the second volume overseas, and a retail release seems extremely unlikely.

Bog

Junior Ace
I can't be the only one who had no friggin idea who that was before clicking the thread.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No wonder Space Harrier dude looks familiar.

FYI Sugimori has also done other stuff, for instance he once did Gundam art. And then he once did Peach.

That's some incredible boxart! Except for goddamn Ecco :p
I hate dolphins
WzeErL2.jpg

Great episode of old Classic Game Room.

not if nintendo co-owns pokemon.
Because Game Freak only does Pokémon...sure, we didn't get Soliti Horse, but HarmoKnight's pretty different from the usual.

bon

Game Freak's culture always felt like a blend of Nintendo, Sega and Namco. It's no coincidence that those are the publishers of their most milestone games during their early days. Ken Sugimori especially has no problem showing his Sega love. SUPER_32X is also his handle on Miiverse. He draws some cool stuff sometimes.

Incidentally, I really like how elegant the boxart looks. His Smash 4 artwork looked a bit bloated, which is how collaboration artwork often ends up, but this one is really neat.
Oh cool, I didn't know he was on Miiverse.

dqzsJn0.png

Quinty!

What the fuck? This box art is amaaaazing, I'm nostalgia-ing so hard. All it's missing is a blue grid on it and it'd be perfect.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Hmm that guy looks familiar....

Long lost twin brothers?

Ask and you shall receive.

pokemon_y_by_charlieromeo-d6ps09p.jpg

Exclusive to PS4. Coming out never.

Ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. *throws up*

Reading this, I thought I'd go to the eshop and get OutRun 3D... but these games haven't even come out in the west apparently, wtf?

Sega is more interested in promoting Sonic Boom crap than bring those game outside of Japan.

Gamefreak recently ported Solitiba to iOS/Android too.

How about a Pulseman 3D?:p

Yes please, I would kill for a Pulseman 3D.

Top Bottom