• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono implies Capcom won't greenlight a AAA game sequel without over 2 million sales

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From the SFxT thread, Ono's statement here sounds quite general:

Famitsu via Eventhubs said:
Tsubaki: Is that so!? But in all honesty, what I'm hoping for here is a sequel to the game. After all, even with Capcom vs. SNK, it wasn't until CvS2 that it became a huge hit. Even today it's still hailed as an incredible fighting game. So I was hoping for a similar development to happen with Street Fighter X Tekken.

Ono: That's what I've always been telling the company too. But at the end of the day, there are just some brick walls that a salaryman can never overcome *laughs*. For instance, if a game doesn't sell over 2 million copies, then we'd have to put the brakes on any plans for a sequel. All that means is that we weren't capable enough. And all we can do after that is to reflect on the experience, take what we can learn from it, and try to apply those lessons on some other title.
Source: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...ring-number-darkstalkers-resurrection-copies/

Of note, here are some recent AAA games that did and didn't make it over that bar.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Over 2 million:
-Resident Evil 6: 5.9 million
-Street Fighter IV: 3.3 million
-Marvel vs Capcom 3 Fate of Two Worlds: 2.2 million [Note: This has licensing issues and is pretty borderline.]

Not over 2 million:
-Street Fighter X Tekken: 1.7 million
-DmC Devil May Cry: 1.6 million
-Dead Rising 3: 1.4 million [Note: This was a launch title and published by MS, and DR2 did 2.9 million, so it's a bit more open.]
-Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million
-Lost Planet 3: Less than 1 million

I left off their handheld and downloadable titles since I doubt those get the same standards applied.

BadWolf

So Dragon's Dogma is out the window?

Does Devil May Cry count? DMC4 sold over 2 million, it was the reboot that under-performed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No Dragon Dogma sequel!? Fuck!
They are doing Deep Down instead.( *Facepalm*)

Yeah, that was what I felt was likely originally, and this seems to add more evidence to the pile.

An f2p title with randomized dungeons and some loose ties to the old concepts is likely much, much cheaper to make.

ViviOggi

Port DD to PC already, ez sales ez sequel

Didn't they spend a crapton of money on that game though? I wasn't aware it only sold a meager 1.3m. God Capcom's management is so clueless.

BadWolf

Didn't they spend a crapton of money on that game though? I wasn't aware it only sold a meager 1.3m. God Capcom's management is so clueless.

Yeah, very expensive and had a lot of their top talent on it. They wanted something like 10 million sales iirc initially.

AmuroChan

2 million doesn't seem too outrageous considering the budgets of AAA game development nowadays. Weren't both RE6 and Tomb Raider considered disappointment sales-wise by Capcom and S-E even though both sold way more than 2 million copies?

-Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million

tumblr_inline_moq3sg7UDQ1qz4rgp.gif

The Arisen will not rise again. =(

Begaria

Don't worry guys! You'll toooootally get Dragon's Dogma again.

As a browser based sim.

*stares hard at Breath of Fire 6*

BadWolf

Don't think Devil May Cry is dead, they mentioned the series as one of their essential pillars not too long ago.

Itsuno and team are probably hard at work on DMC5 (I hope).

Ein Bear

It pleases me to know DmC won't get a sequel, as if that wasn't obvious already.

I can appreciate that the game didn't rub everyone up the right way, but it still makes me sad to see the game underperform. Character action games seem to be bombing left and right, and I worry for the future of the genre when even a well-reviewed, strongly advertised Devil May Cry game doesn't sell as well as hoped.

cnorwood

Banned
This makes sense, they want to make a profit, not make a few gamers happy. Like I said in the other thread its just like the Megaman series. Megaman games get pretty good scores but sale terribly. Then fans cry that Capcom killed Megaman but Megaman died a long time ago and fans seem to not be able to smell his corpse. As much as I would love a sequel to Megaman Powered up, Maverick Hunter X, and Dragons Dogma I realize that those games havent sold well and its not Capcoms Job to make me happy, its to sell games.

Dragon's Dogma hasn't sold two million? o_O I figured that was a good seller for Capcom. A good amount of my friends got it and I'm pretty sure they don't frequent video game forums. Plus it was marked down a bunch of times on the PS Store. Surprising to say the least.

BadWolf

I can appreciate that the game didn't rub everyone up the right way, but it still makes me sad to see the game underperform. Character action games seem to be bombing left and right, and I worry for the future of the genre when even a well-reviewed, strongly advertised Devil May Cry game doesn't sell as well as hoped.

The reboot's under performance is hardly a surprise.

There was a huge backlash to it from day 1.

Well, we know they aren't working on Dragon's Dogma 2 at least.

True :(

zeorhymer

I'm surprised DmC sold 1.7 million copies. It was actually a good game and pretty fun. Too bad they don't count PS+ towards copies sold.

Top Bottom