• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono implies Capcom won't greenlight a AAA game sequel without over 2 million sales

I think back when Capcom's investors voted against a takeover defense, people were saying their COH was something absurdly low, like under $100 million. I can't imagine it has improved substantially since then.

VariantX

No more Dogma... that hurts to even think about. That game just was missing a few things that could make it a staple franchise for Capcom. Hell, just port it to pc and let that audience have a crack at it. I'd repurchase it on PC, no questions asked if it would result in fixing and enhancing the visuals.

Meia

Release game, see if it sells +2 million, greenlight a sequel.

Release game, see it sells less than 2 million, make another new IP and ditch the "underseller".

Capcom is kind of loathsome. Kind of sad that with how much Dragon's Dogma is off, a PC version of it would probably cross that magical threshold. I wonder what the arbitrary time period for the sales must be for it to work, since the number itself was something else management also pulled from it's ass.

UrbanRats

Assuming Deep Down is their response to Dragon's Dogma's failure, i really don't get what "lesson" they're showing to have learned.
A free to play game that isn't even sure it's coming in the west?

I'm assuming they were scared of ever trying another big budget fantasy game, and Deep Down looks pretty cheap, all things considered.

I still think the franchise (Dragon's Dogma) has gotten good word of mouth since launch, and i feel like it's foolish to abandon it like this.

They could re-release Dark Arisen on PC and next gen consoles, right now that there's somewhat of a drought, maybe even digital only.
It would get traction i'm sure, enough for a DD2 to make sense.

I mean you can't expect every new IP to be Watch Dogs, sometimes you have to build momentum for it to pay off.

Also, i think they market the game as more generic than it really is, which is another problem.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think back when Capcom's investors voted against a takeover defense, people were saying their COH was something absurdly low, like under $100 million. I can't imagine it has improved substantially since then.

Their cash flow is okay though. They're just incredibly conservative now since they've basically failed all their new business initiatives in the past five years, so they're only making whatever is known to make money and taking a few low risk, high potential reward bets like mobile games and f2p PC games for Asia.

They've heavily scaled back their outsourcing, console output, handheld output, and mobile output, though they're investing in the last category with 1000 new internal staff over 10 years. Before almost all of their mobile output was outsourced.

If that PC version of Dragon's Dogma happened say a year or so ago I think it would have reached 2 million easily, even if it was just on Steam.

That said I am surprised DmC hadn't sold 2 million yet, really surprising.

Marcel

Release game, see if it sells +2 million, greenlight a sequel.

Release game, see it sells less than 2 million, make another new IP and ditch the "underseller".

Capcom is kind of loathsome. Kind of sad that with how much Dragon's Dogma is off, a PC version of it would probably cross that magical threshold. I wonder what the arbitrary time period for the sales must be for it to work, since the number itself was something else management also pulled from it's ass.

Only kind of? The MML3 debacle should prove how 100% scummy they really are. It's a shame that a company like this has so many choice IPs that are going to rot in a graveyard.

I can appreciate that the game didn't rub everyone up the right way, but it still makes me sad to see the game underperform. Character action games seem to be bombing left and right, and I worry for the future of the genre when even a well-reviewed, strongly advertised Devil May Cry game doesn't sell as well as hoped.

*Puffs on e-cigarette*

I don't care.

No but in all seriousness, im pretty much over it. I don't think Capcom had it in them to best Bayonetta 1, never mind 2.

Yes I want a DMC5 as much as the next man, but I won't shed a tear for a game that turned its back on nearly everything that made the series great, to attempt to gain an audience that obviously didn't exist in large numbers.

If DMC is now dead, its ok. Ill move on to something else.

jcm

Let's hope that's more of a guideline than a rule. Maybe the feedback from Dragon's Dogma PS Plus version is so good they're willing to move ahead with it anyway.

BadWolf

'm assuming they were scared of ever trying another big budget fantasy game, and Deep Down looks pretty cheap, all things considered.

Have to disagree, it's still one of the best looking games of the new gen.

The only thing that can be considered cheap about it are the randomly generated dungeons.

Hopefully this means they'll be dialing back on the AAA efforts, and doing more modestly-budgeted games that are more creative and ambitious. I'm not holding my breath, though.

If they are gonna throw half of the franchises they have into the trash can surely they have a few people to spare on REmake 2?

No? Ok then.

Shauni

Damn, I knew the budgets of AAA titles had ballooned, but 2 million as a bare minimum for a sequel to be considered? I really didn't know that it had gotten to that point.

Makes you wonder what they saw in Remember Me that lead them to think it would reach that level of sales.

Remastering Dragon's Dogma would pull that over the 2million mark, no? I'd get it.

It was free on PS+, so i wonder how that would've helped in regards to its profitability. So was DmC and Remember Me. Hmm.

PBalfredo

Seeing Capcom, a company with arguably the best stable of IPs in the industry, shifting its focus to just a handful of franchises is depressing.

Feindflug

More like RIP Capcom.

This.

It's really sad to see a great game with so much potential like Dragon's Dogma end up dead and buried but at least Itsuno is already working on DMC5 right?

Seriously how the hell Capcom became such a shitty company? :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Capcom is basically going to stop making AAA games

Yeah, I'm not expecting much in the way of AAA console retail outside of RE7 and SF5.

Even Revelations 2 is a downloadable episodic game and their other project is Deep Down.

That said, Capcom Vancouver is doing something, so it's plausibly Dead Rising 4, and they're giving it a break since it was a launch title on one platform in a series that sold over twice as much a few years prior.

Meia

As a side note, I guess this fits in very well with something Jim Sterling said in one of his vids earlier this year, about how devs would rather not make any money if they couldn't make ALL of the money.

DMC will be an exception. Hope they go back to DMC5 and not whatever the last one was.

Dragons Dogma 2......;_____;
Capcom pls

Yeah, I'm not expecting much in the way of AAA console retail outside of RE7 and SF5.

Even Revelations 2 is a downloadable episodic game and their other project is Deep Down.

That said, Capcom Vancouver is doing something, so it's plausibly Dead Rising 4, and they're giving it a break since it was a launch title on one platform in a series that sold over twice as much a few years prior.

but what about Itsuno and that team?

Astral Dog

Even if Capcom has been bad at managing projects lately, thats the reality of the AAA gaming market today, a single failere could cost the safety of the company, not even games that sold more than 2 million are secure.

UrbanRats

Have to disagree, it's still one of the best looking games of the new gen.

The only thing that can be considered cheap about it are the randomly generated dungeons.

It looks pretty, but they've been showing the same corridor over and over and over.
It has to be much cheaper than what a Dragon's Dogma 2 would've cost... like, significantly less.

And they were testing the waters of microtransactions in Dark Arisen already.

As a side note, I guess this fits in very well with something Jim Sterling said in one of his vids earlier this year, about how devs would rather not make any money if they couldn't make ALL of the money.

No point in fishing for small fish. They hunt whales.

Meia

Even if Capcom has been bad at managing projects, thats the reality of the AAA gaming market today, a single failere could cost the safety of the company, not even games that sold more than 2 million are secure.

The problem is they only want to release AAA games, so the games they make seemingly MUST cost a lot of money and MUST make a lot of money, there's no middle ground with them anymore. It's just....sad.

At a point where I'd wish they'd just sell off their IPs they don't plan to use to make a quick buck.

SerTapTap

Even if Capcom has been bad at managing projects, thats the reality of the AAA gaming market today, a single failere could cost the safety of the company, not even games that sold more than 2 million are secure.

That is not an inherent reality of anything other than the clearly excessive budget they put into those games.

The problem is they only want to release AAA games, so the games they make seemingly MUST cost a lot of money and MUST make a lot of money, there's no middle ground with them anymore. It's just....sad.

At a point where I'd wish they'd just sell off their IPs they don't plan to use to make a quick buck.

Wish they'd just give Mega Man back to Keiji Inafune and maybe Inti Creates

Top Bottom