• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono implies Capcom won't greenlight a AAA game sequel without over 2 million sales

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To be fair to Capcom, 2 million copies is a pretty common cutoff point in the industry.

However, it's normally only done by companies that have more than two IPs that fit that criteria.

When you don't have many, you usually invest in some that sort of worked to see if you can get them going or make bets on notable new IPs, but I don't think they're doing either.

How about making games that make a you profit. This industry is horrendous when it comes to money management. If the sequel didn't net that much, how about setting a realistic budget, and scale the game back. Look how much people enjoyed Bionic Commando XBLA/PSN/PC over the full blown AAA one.

BadWolf

It looks pretty, but they've been showing the same corridor over and over and over.
It has to be much cheaper than what a Dragon's Dogma 2 would've cost... like, significantly less..

Well yeah, it would definitely be cheaper than a new gen open world game with a world as large as that of Dragon's Dogma.

Aside from that though it looks fantastic, especially the character and creature animation, designs and effects.

As a side note, I guess this fits in very well with something Jim Sterling said in one of his vids earlier this year, about how devs would rather not make any money if they couldn't make ALL of the money.

Sounds like Capcoms MO.

If they had just adjusted their budgets and expectations they could have multiple million+ sellers, all with dedicated fanbases.

But in their quest to have everything sell gangbusters, they have put themselves in a corner where they cant sell basically anything.

As many have sad before, im not sure they will survive this generation unscathed. I expect them to be bought out by one of the bigger Chinese publishing houses and run into the ground.

A next gen Dragon's Dogma would be amazing and probably would sell a lot more than its predecessor. Capcom just hates making good games as well as making money.

Damn, I knew the budgets of AAA titles had ballooned, but 2 million as a bare minimum for a sequel to be considered? I really didn't know that it had gotten to that point.

What's that old axiom again? "You get what you pay for?" Sucks that everyone (devs/pubs and players alike) seems to be gung-ho about investing in massive tech leaps even though they haven't consistently delivered sustainable value.

Consumers have to pay a tax for production values and marketing costs (higher game prices, post-purchase payment schemes) regardless of the relative quality of the final product, and products that don't succeed under this model get driven down in price so fast the pub can't possibly recoup their investment even over the long term.

BadWolf

Sounds like Capcoms MO.

If they had just adjusted their budgets and expectations they could have multiple million+ sellers, all with dedicated fanbases.

But in their quest to have everything sell gangbusters, they have put themselves in a corner where they cant sell basically anything.

As many have sad before, im not sure they will survive this generation unscathed. I expect them to be bought out by one of the bigger Chinese publishing houses and run into the ground.

Capcom dying would be so sad for gaming, they easily have a ton of the best IPs around.

Dead Rising 3 sold 1.4 million on XB1 as of June 2014? I didn't realize it had that high of a tie-in ratio.

It seems that Capcom won't be making much though outside of Resident Evil, Monster Hunter and Street Fighter.

I was hoping for a DMC5 :(

Xerotwo

Dammit Capcom, can't even get their priorities straight.

So Monster Hunter ain't much of a big concern on both regions, yet they are scared of doing things new.

Are they still in the process of trolling their own fanbase just for laughs?

PseudoViper

RIP Dragon's Dogma.

:'(

tombstone.jpg

Capcom dying would be so sad for gaming, they easily have a ton of the best IPs around.

Can't be sad about the idea of someone dying when you have spent the past year sitting at their death bed.

Its going to happen. Its only a matter of when now. I really don't think Capcom have another Monster hunter in them.

VariantX

SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. A pc version would have pushed it over 2 million, even if it crawled there and needed steam sales to do it.

It could definately happen if people figure out how to mod it and do stuff with it. I know some people who double dipped on SF4 series just so they can use the player created costumes.

jorma

is now taking requests
I have no idea why dragons dogma didn't sell more, but i don't think it was due to the game itself. Bad marketing most likely.

For me personally it didn't even register and i never even would have played it if it didn't come as a ps+ download. And then it quickly became one of my favourite games last gen.

It's weird though, when they submitted 2013 financials they were impressed with the sales of Dragon's Dogma and said it surpassed expectations.
Well that's what they said and was reported by a few sites when i did a search on Dragon's Dogma sales. Guess times change and we'll never see another Dogma game again. Sad.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/resident-evil-dragons-dogma-boost-capcom-earnings
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/404912/resident-evil-6-dragons-dogma-dmc-sales-revealed/

Their IPs would be bought by a company that could better handle them anyway. Capcom is bottom of the barrel these days.

No one in the whole universe can handle Devil May Cry's battle system better than Itsuno, and he's still working for Capcom. We just need a real Devil May Cry 5.

Does this throw off my theory that Itsuno and his team must be working on DMC5 or Dragons Dogma 2?

I don't see him working on SF, RE or MH and I highly doubt its a new IP.

Bruno MB

If we include the expansion Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, then Dragon's Dogma sold a combined total of 2.2 million units.

JordanN

Banned
lol @ all the "RIP Capcom"s They stop making games that dont sell well and thats going to kill off the company?

What do they have left that's going to make them more money? Can Monster Hunter and Resident Evil sustain them forever?

They still got to pay for all those employees and building space.

DeSolos

That's just the reality of the business :/... AAA games are really expensive and they need to sell in the millions just to break even.

Marcel

No one in the whole universe can handle Devil May Cry's battle system better than Itsuno, and he's still working for Capcom. We just need a real Devil May Cry 5.

It's unfortunate that a company with so much talent is so myopic with using its breadth of IPs. See also: Konami as the Metal Gear Factory.

BadWolf

Does this throw off my theory that Itsuno and his team must be working on DMC5 or Dragons Dogma 2?

DMC5 is still a possibility imo.

It also wouldn't take nearly as long to develop as DD2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Depending on the needs of RE7 and SF5, it's possible the team got mostly dissolved and the remaining staff are working on smaller projects like mobile, online, or downloadable.

For example, Itsuno's TGS 2013 game was a mobile title: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679613

Top Bottom