• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix has no current plans to support PS TV

JayEH

Sony will have a hard time marketing this thing as a better Apple TV if they don't get Netflix. What am I saying, we all Sony isn't going to market this.

Sony will have a hard time marketing this thing as a better Apple TV if they don't get Netflix. What am I saying, we all Sony isn't going to market this.

LOL you are right... now I must go cry as my Vita demands more first party games like KZ:M but I know deep down we will not get anymore such gems...

Based on the long list of compatibility issues and the poor sales in Japan plus the poor sales of the Vita everywhere else, I don't really know why Sony even bothered to release the PS TV in North America. As it is, it seems destined to die a slow, silent death.

calder

I'm sure Sony will be faintly surprised at whatever small number they manage to shift. Surprised in a "hey didn't we cancel that thing last year?" sort of way.

Still, I'd love to know why Netflix isn't interested, seems odd and potentially interesting considering I think Netflix would make a fridge app if Kenmore asked them nicely.

How odd they would take this stance. Perhaps Comcast is paying them to not support new smart devices? Either way, I have 4 things that play Netflix. So not an issue for me.
Still sucks though...

Then I have no plans to buy a PSTV.

I'm not getting one just to play Killzone Mercenary with a Dualshock 4. It needs to have Netflix or there is zero chance that I'd buy it for $100.

Sony literally walking the Vita TV out to a firing squad to die.

This is kinda the final straw. Pity, I was very close to buying one too.

That's what I was wondering as well. If PS TV is essentially a Vita shouldn't that port reliably well?

AFAIK - and don't ask me why this is still the case in the age of cloud content - commercial streaming video apps need different licenses for mobile and TV-based platforms. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That is odd since Netflix is on every possible device that outputs to a screen.
They haven't meaningfully updated Wii U Netflix since launch, and that system is the second coming compared to the Vita.

You'd think Sony would have nailed this down before releasing a streaming device though.

What a fuck up.

Agent X

Why wouldn't the existing Netflix app for Vita be compatible to begin with? Does it have to do with the screen resolutions that the PSTV is using?

Also, I thought I read elsewhere that there was supposed to be a patch for Netflix later this week. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

GulAtiCa

Damnit...

Was really hoping to use this for Netflix and PS4 remote streaming.. But if Netflix never comes, would really make it not as worthwhile to me. Esp with no Amazon app.

I really hope Sony convinces Netflix to make an app for it.

Somnid

If you don't have Netflix you shouldn't bother because that's a non-negotiable item in the US for anything hooked up to a TV. Might as well just put a Vita emulator on PS4.

Darknight

How in the hell does PSTV not have netflix when regular Vita OS has it??? How the fuck!?

Shit like this is why people hack stuff. If they get the PackageInstaller thing going for PSTV, you'll be able to install netflix but Im not so sure the Devs/Hackers trust the scene at this point with all the past leaks.

CoG

New Apple TV likely to be announced this Thursday. People are going to forget about PS TV pretty quick.

Sony have pre-emptively forgotten about the PSTV. At least they tried for a while with the Vita.

Arkam

Well that's some crappy news. Netflix use would be one of my main uses :(
I hope the device sells well enough for netflix to rethink this position. I was really hoping to ditch the roku for the pstv.

olimpia84

As I said before the PS TV is one of the most useless devices in recent memory. Why even bother releasing this?

Darknight

New Apple TV likely to be announced this Thursday. People are going to forget about PS TV pretty quick.

Honestly PSTV is a niche product. No one really knows about it except for us. (gamers but not even all) Also I want it to hack it not necessarily for streaming content so Apple has no real reason to fear anything lol. They got that shit on lock down. PSTV is just here because the west (gamers) wanted the VitaTV.

Top Bottom