• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix has no current plans to support PS TV

Timeless

Just opened a Netflix chat. Maybe if enough people write in, they'll reconsider. FFS, the app already exists on the Vita.

Hi, I don't have a problem or a question. I just want to let Netflix know that as a subscriber, it disappoints me that Netflix has no current plans to support Sony's Playstation TV set top box. I know this is well beyond your control, but if you could pass it along to any kind of people who hear Netflix feedback, that would be wonderful. Thanks for reading.

Oh okay I totally understand what you mean, I wa thinking the same thing...not to worry though I will gladly pass this on for you okay, we have created the app and are just waiting for the manufacturers to implement that for our members...But again thanks so much for your feedback we really appreciate it :).

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Bummer, was hoping to use this as a Netflix machine in my bedroom and rent PS3 games on it that I missed (Ni No Kuni which is not on PS Now at the moment). The wait for support begins.

baekshi

Banned
why is it even a matter of porting? i feel like I'm drunker than i really am.

It's not a matter of porting, they're blocking everything they're not aware that is compatible and haven't got the so called "approval", even games that require no patch.

edit:
I'm pretty sure every publishers wants their working game on Vita/ PS TV but empty headed people at SCEA wants to test them before they can put them and they aren't doing it.

It does though, when the package installer was available, people were installing the netflix app on Japanese Vita TVs.

Hmm that's interesting

Playstation TV is available for purchase in the US as of now

Looking through the reviews and assuming this one is accurate

http://www.amazon.com/review/R253CU7IX0P1BG/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R253CU7IX0P1BG\

Some people have asked whether the PlayStation TV would make a good replacement for set-top boxes such as the Roku or Apple TV. In its current state, I wouldn't recommend it for strictly movie/TV watching purposes. There just aren't enough apps. Netflix is supposed to be available on the system, but as of this writing it will not boot. That's immensely frustrating, as a part of the reason I wanted the system was to be able to move Netflix into other rooms of the house without having to move a console or PC.

Other notable multimedia apps -- such as Hulu Plus, Vudu, Amazon Instant, WWE Network and HBO GO -- are woefully absent. Perhaps as time goes on the PlayStation TV will grow to rival other streaming set-top boxes, but that time is not now.

I think the amazon link has a reference thingy but I don't know what parts to remove to make it a vanilla link just fyi

PS TV: 2014-2014. RIP in peace.

But seriously though, without Netflix, I'm kind of failing to see the point for the average consumer.

whitehawk

Banned
PS TV: 2014-2014. RIP in peace.

But seriously though, without Netflix, I'm kind of failing to see the point for the average consumer.
It can't do 1080p anyway, so I could only see people using it for netflix if it was the only thing they had on them when traveling in a hotel.

jwk94

It can't do 1080p anyway, so I could only see people using it for netflix if it was the only thing they had on them when traveling in a hotel.

Pretty sure 720p would be fine for most people. Don't TV stations only output their HD channels at 720p?

Netlfix has really been shitting the bed, IMO, lately. The XB1 Netflix app is shit after the most recent update and now this? Get your shit together Netflix.

It seems games look terrible when set to 1080i

Oh I could see that. Just people were mentioning that the highest output the PSTV was capable of was 720p [actually maybe it is as I can't remember the differences between interlaced and progressive]

Vestal

Gold Member
Does Sony really like making Devices to send out to die?

Its really disappointing. The Vita was a great little device, but the support they gave it is laughable at best.

Gator86

What qualifications do you need to work at Sony? High school diploma? Middle school? Potty-training? How do you release a device in 2014 without Netflix support, especially one that's basically a set-top box? Sony execs should thank whatever deity they pray to every night for MS dropping the ball so hard and letting them take such a huge lead this gen.

Because it has Vita hardware in it and that was never meant to do so.

I mean... I knew it started out as the PS Vita TV, but I didn't realize they'd just axed the screen and the buttons and threw in a few additional ports. I thought they'd incorporated the Vita guts into a conventional set top box so you could, you know, play Vita games on it.

baekshi

Banned
So, is it a Sony problem then?

Yes, it is their fault for rushing the device out the doors, without properly checking what will be compatible and available (see removing games from list, not listing compatible games etc), without getting proper support from big video streaming giants and not properly introducing the device because so many times same question have been asked.

Balb

I think the Wii version was by far the most popular for many years. I'd imagine the 360 was second most popular in the US.. PS3 probably had an advantage in Europe.

I believe PS3 overtook 360 fairly early on because it didn't require an extra subscription on top of the Netflix subscription.

ksdixon

3rd time trying to post this, wonder why it's not going through?

extra points for me mis-reading the website's name, lol.

29 minutes ago You
If the hold-up is on Sony's end, for whatever reason, please pass along the message to them during negotiations that UK owners do indeed want the Netflix App on their PSVita handhelds. And PSTV owners everywhere do want Netflix to be available on it, even if it's a sideways port of the existing PSVita Netflix App. That would be better than hearing that "Netflix has no plans to support PSTV."

27 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
I will pass this info to my research team right away - hey can you tell me where you saw that quote?

26 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
I haven't seen it anywhere on my system

26 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
I know that we are always looking into opportunity to get on as much devices as we can.

25 minutes ago You
http://gizmodo.com/playstation-tv-isnt-what-you-want-it-to-be-1646323968 - "Hulu is currently working with Sony on the issue, but a Netflix representative told us point-blank: "We have no current support plans for Netflix on PS TV.""

23 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
Ah I see, that web site is not representing Netflix, there word is not credible.

23 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
We have a good standing partners with Sony.

22 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
We would never release such a statement.

22 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
We always want to add Netflix to as much devices as we can.

20 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
My friend, I will send a 100 feedback on this for you before I leave to tonight to let them know you views on add Netflix to the Playstaion Vita and the TV.

20 minutes ago You
If that is the case, then somebody in Netflix's PR department needs to officially correct Gizmondo's story. People are already kicking-up a fuss about the lack of Netflix PSTV support on popular websites such as NeoGaf.com that I have witnessed myself, and most likely Reddit too. It looks bad on both Netflix and Sony's part, especially given the previous statistic about PS3 being the number 1 Netflix device in previous years.

20 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
I am working on it, I am reporting it to the PR team right now

19 minutes ago You
Thank you. Do you mind if I post our chat log on NeoGaf to update people on the Netflix-PSTV situation?

16 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
No, I don't mind at all and my team wish to advise that the App is just currently unavailable at this moment, PlayStation TV launch without the Netflix App.

16 minutes ago You
But, contrary to the Gizmondo article, support for PSTV is planned?

15 minutes ago Netflix Oshayne
You have to rely on Netflix or Sony for concrete information.

NolbertoS

And with that PS TV sales plummet worse than Vita. I mean seriously, if they're going after Roku, Apple TV and Amazon Fire, need Hulu, Netflix and/or Amazon Video to justify there machines. Gaming aside, rhe rest of casual gamer masses won't bother with it.

SURGEdude

Bizzaro world with Netflix even being made compatible with even stuff like the $25 FirefoxOS "Matchstick" Chromecast knockoff kickstarter thingy. Especially strange when it doesn't even have an existing FirefoxOS app to build from unlike Vita TV.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If, as most of you say, netflix is on almost literally everyting these days, then why is it so crucial to be on PSTV? You are never going to buy this as a netflix streamer only, you will buy it based on wanting to play various PlayStation games - netflix is a bonus. So while it is clearly disappointing, it doesn't diminish the primary reason for buying it, and apparently most of you will have several other ways to watch Netflix anyway.

Top Bottom