• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

Avallon

via: Reddit

gIFVGcv.png

This was bound to happen with mass production, but my hype is now severely deflated.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Isn't it only because of a different lightning and maybe a slight Photoshop filter?

SerTapTap

Those...look a lot less worth $15. Kirby's eyes...

Yes, this is how toys work. Hand painted prototypes will look better.

Not sure I'd call those "hand painted prototypes", they're on the Amazon page right now advertised as if they were the final product. Most figures I buy are within a much smaller margin of error compared to the Amazon images. They even show the "bullshots" in artificial retail packaging.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
A prototype, one-off crafted showcase amiibo under professional lighting, versus mass produced final products in someone's house, with pesky things like gravity in effect.

Colour me surprised that there is a downgrade in quality. Honestly I'm pretty impressed that the final ones look as close as they currently do. But then I've watched so many Ashens videos of supremely dodgy action figure paint jobs that anything feels like an improvement over that.

Isn't it only because of a different lightning and maybe a slight Photoshop filter?

It's literally this...you really think they were able to find a pure white background, for instance? Even with a lightbox, those advertised pictures (like everything advertised) are heavily touched up

TDLink

It was to be expected...but honestly most of those still look great. Marth and Peach are the only two that look drastically different and I still think they look fine. Link facing down is weird, are we sure that specific figure isn't just flawed? I can't imagine they are actually shipping a figure with the character looking towards the ground like that.

L~A

You mean, the "design not final" on pretty much all marketing material and official website wasn't just for show? *gasp*

Honestly got no problem with the quality, looks good enough for me. Then again, only planning to buy 1 or 2 of them anyway.

RAWi

Yup. To me looks like the difference is in lightning and camera angle. The real ones are taken upside-down, and the digital ones were "taken" from a lower angle.

And light, all of the light.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I can see some differences but the lighting really doesn't help.

Anything will look better with professional lighting.

eznark

Banned
Pretty much everyone of those look identical to me.

Don't worry OP, just keep them in a professionally lit white room and they will be perfect.

Difference in lighting, guys?
Look at Peach's new derpy face. The details on her dress.
Look at Marth's bendy sword.

The quality just went to shit in mass production.
Hope Olimar turns out okay.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Mass produced toys/figures always differ from display versions. This applies to pretty much every to under $100.

SerTapTap

Do you guys not see Pikachu and Kirby's lazy eyes?

Mass produced toys/figures always differ from display versions. This applies to pretty much every to under $100.

I buy plenty of $40 stuff identical to real pics. Wasn't expecting miracles for $15 but disappointing to see how big the differences are in some

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

Advertised? It seemed to me that the official TV commercial had the Link with the yellow stick? Pictures you're showing are promo shots showed during E3, aren't they?

Anyway I'll keep my preorder for Link, Kirby and Fox. I'll see if I buy some more for Christmas. It's not that much different and after seeing IGN videos I'm confident in the quality of the product (for a 12$ figurine).

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't really see a difference beyond the angle these photos were taken at and the lighting. Also, the resolution of the camera that took the pictures.

Chindogg

They still look ok. The swords definitely look like they're made from a softer plastic, probable due to safety concerns (these are kids toys after all.)

They still look pretty nice for $13, only the yellow post on Link and painted on pattern on Peach kinda bother me, even though not much.

Kyou

Not sure I'd call those "hand painted prototypes", they're on the Amazon page right now advertised as if they were the final product. Most figures I buy are within a much smaller margin of error compared to the Amazon images. They even show the "bullshots" in artificial retail packaging.

"FIGURES SHOWN NOT ACTUAL SIZE AND DESIGNS MAY VARY"

uh?

SerTapTap

The most obvious differences are with Peach's and Marth's amiibo.
I can't see a huge difference with Mario, Link or Wii Fit Trainer.

Link's sword is bent (probably a variable problem due to the thinness + material) and has a MUCH larger (and grossly colored) "stick" holding him up...it's also in the front not the back

"FIGURES SHOWN NOT ACTUAL SIZE AND DESIGNS MAY VARY"

uh?

Generic legalese mumbo jumbo does not make them any less misleading. Best I can tell most figure, non-cheapo toy companies use real models in their shots not "prototypes".

Avallon

Chû Totoro;136102582 said:
Advertised? It seemed to me that the official TV commercial had the Link with the yellow stick? Pictures you're showing are promo shots showed during E3, aren't they?

Anyway I'll keep my preorder for Link, Kirby and Fox. I'll see if I buy some more for Christmas. It's not that much different and after seeing IGN videos I'm confident in the quality of the product (for a 12$ figurine).

They're using the bullshots on Amazon, so I'd consider that as "advertised".

EDIT: fine print :\

Reminds me of fast food where they get the preview to look so amazing, and your burger looks nothing like the promotional material.
I am still baffled why they decided to go from clear to yellow. The yellow stand looks so ugly.

NickMitch

Those "real" figures att photographed with a smartphone in a ordinary lit room in a top down angle casting totally different shadows.

Promos are shot from the front in a professionally lit studio with pro cameras....

Ill wait till i get my own hands one one of those before making any judgements though

Top Bottom