• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

KQjADO7.png

hSbE0.gif

At least I don't have to worry about Amiibos hurting my wallet. If these were 5 dollars, sure, but I ain't payin 13 bucks for these things.

These are the final ones they're picking out to show off too..

Imagine how bad they could look when you pass a random one in Kmart. Pupils all over the place, skin paint on their clothes. It'll be a mess.

Goon Boon

Banned
Marth and Peach are the main problem childs in this in that they look totally fucked up. Everyone was expecting the final ones to be less spectacular, but these are pretty god damn bad.

The rest look mostly fine, barring Link's rod to hold shit up being stupid yellow color instead of translucent white or what appear to be bad batches (like fucked up Kirby eyes).

Avallon

Marth and Peach are the main problem childs in this in that they look totally fucked up.

The rest look mostly fine, barring rods to hold shit up being stupid colors instead of translucent white or what appear to be bad batches (like fucked up Kirby eyes).

I think they're all going to look like that. Why would they show off a bad batch as their first final production line?

lionpants

The only really disappointing parts for me...

- The yellow pole up Link's bum instead of a thin clear pole.
- The bent swords. (can't stand that on figures)

jblank83

Peach is the only one that looks worse, imo. Link actually looks better.

I was never going to buy many, or any, though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Knowing that these were gonna be mass produced $15 figurines makes this not a surprise whatsoever.

Still, that peach face is freaking me out. Her, Marth, and Link look the worst to me.

Taker666

I really don't understand why they tried to do action poses requiring a plastic support bar. As I said on the other thread, they should have just given them a simpler pose.

I won't be buying any figures that use those plastic supports. Hopefully we'll get a more grounded Link figure in the future.

Only one that held up was Yoshi, Pikachu and Mario. If these were 7 dollars it wouldn't be so bad IMO but 12 bucks for that? No thanks

zroid

Banned
Reserving judgment till I see them for myself at retail

needless to say I won't be pre-ordering any online though

JazzmanZ

You realize that this stuff happens all the time right?

Especially with food, the product advertised is never as good looking as it really is.

shaowebb

Isn't it only because of a different lightning and maybe a slight Photoshop filter?

No. Peach doesn't even have engraving on her final version...its just paint. Also the the stand placement and materials used have been replaced. Now Link has a tower of piss coming out the front of his tunic rather than a normal back placed stand behind him. Additionally the molds were changed for less detail work for cheaper production. Peach used to have legs...now they are fused into a block of plastic in the shape of her skirt and her hands are pudgier and less detailed because solid single cast molding takes less time and allows for faster production and fast single casting like that tends to lose some details...thus the hands.

Sad thing is, as much as this craftsmanship quality decrease bugs me its the most minor issue regarding Amiibo on the market. The problem with these is that there is NO clear value in owning them. No one gives a shit about raising them for a better AI opponent. We have AI opponents and online...why pay for another that you have to raise? The only decent thing is you can get more parts and items from using them, but there are already methods of doing that which are free and likely take less work in the long run.

Amiibos simply don't have a clear value like Disney Infinity or Skylanders figures. With those you know you will be getting a new character to play or parts to use in the Toybox mode. You know you are getting bonuses and such with power tokens...Amiibo's dont come with ANYTHING. You have to raise them to get stuff thats already in the game without them. They are supposed to work with other titles but nothing has been outlined. Nintendo has really and truly failed with these. They need to have their own EXCLUSIVE content to make them sell otherwise its just going to tank. ESPECIALLY since the quality of production in them already looks less than the quality of production found in Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Unless Nintendo is making a Disney Infinity style game where having played your Amiibos in other titles to level them with skills and abilities for "Nintendo Infinity" is happening, then there is no reason to care about Amiibos and using them on any games currently.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Professional vs. amateur pictures. Still, I'm curious how they look in reality, I will check some shops once they're available.
There are also some changes due to mass production and to make them more solid, like the piss column for Link, but the differences are more emphasized because of the pictures.

Somnid

I always thought this but it seems that the poses and models were rather ambitious. I mean Skylanders and Disney Infinity use art styles and poses that make them easy to manufacture and durable. I guess it's not surprising they needed some bigger supports and there's a slight loss of detail in the mass manufactured version.

Welcome to figures that only cost £10.99. It's sad, but expected.

Basically.

And to everyone saying its the lighting I am pretty sure you need your eyes checked.

Yeah I am sure the lighting is what removes defined fingers into a blob hand and dulls edges of hair as well. There is a bunch of other differences in the Peach example as well but I wont go into that.
I am sure better lighting and a "professional picture" transforms a figures features.

Boogdud

That yellow chunk vs the metallic looking pole is a huge difference in the Link one.
is foot touches the ground in the mass-produced one too.

It doesn't help that the pole is in front of his leg now, with the addition of being yellow. It looks like he's filling up a clear pipe with piss.

Some of the plastic poles look different, some of the machine stamped decals like eyes and the mario M on his hat are slightly off, otherwise they seem the same to me.

Lighting can go a long way in making statues look good, a good example is mario's fireball.

*edit* ok and some of the hands seem a little different.

Schnozberry

Mass Produced toys are not as detailed as their meticulously hand painted limited production demonstration units. More at 11.

Kyou

Basically.

And to everyone saying its the lighting I am pretty sure you need your eyes checked.

Yeah I am sure the lighting is what removes defined fingers into a blob hand and dulls edges of hair as well.
I am sure better lighting and a "professional picture" transforms a figures features.
I also want childrens toys be as sharp as possible

Exile20

This is not a thread about the lighting. The lighting does not influence the frill on Peach's dress, Link's stand, the bent swords, etc.

I do, which is why I said as much in the opening post.

These toys are for kids, you want a pointy solid sword? Plus we have no clue who handle it and bent it on purpose, It doesn't mean it was come like that.

The embelishment on peach's dress was expected. Look at it and tell me you expect that on a $13 toy with NFC and memory.

The yellow link's stand seems like a design decision, horrible one but it isn't downgraded.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They look so bad. I am glad I am not interested in Amiibos.That really isn't the case and you know it.

That's not the only thing that I wrote, though.

And get someone to make professional pictures to the mass production Amiibo and I guarantee you there will be less differences.

And I think that an Amiibo like the prototype would cost more than the actual Amiibos.

Zia

Yeah, I went from preordering a few tchotchkes I'd probably barely use to not buying any, ever. Way bigger step down in production quality than I expected.

Top Bottom