• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: software update for amiibo to be released on Nov. 13

L~A

Comes from the official website:

In order to use this feature, users will need to download the software update available on 11/13/2014.

sanstitreysud2.png

Guess we now have a list of compatible amiibo in MK8.

Credits to Joe Fourhman for the find!

Edit:

Sadly Nintendo haven't uploaded the images yet, but there will be one called "amiibo-racing-suits.png". So we will at least get a look at the costumes.

3qpcQLk.png

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/img/amiibo/amiibo-racing-suits.png

JoeM86

Am I the only one seeing this?

Dress up your Mii in racing suits based on each amiibo character's look.

In order to use this feature, users will need to download the software update available on 11/13/2014.
Get Mii racing suits with amiibo!
amiibo
Mario™
Luigi™
Yoshi™
Peach™
Donkey Kong™
Link™
Kirby™
Captain Falcon
Samus™
Fox McCloud

"Dress up your Mii in racing suits based on each amiibo character's look."

Interesting. Might have to get an Amiibo from somewhere.

Not too surprising that they're going this route. Good way to make sure all the amiibo get used across multiple games.

Still wish they actually offered a tangible gameplay benefit (like Skylanders' multiple characters), and not just glorified cross-game costume/AI buddy DLC.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
FINALLY some details about this.

I don't... really like it though. This "unlock content" angle is something I was hoping they'd steer clear of.

Wait, that's all the Amiibos do in MK8? I thought they'd level up or something, like in Smash.

EDIT: Eh, now that I think about it, that's probably a lot to ask for. MK HAS been out for like eight months now.

NotLiquid

I think the possibility of more stuff with Amiibos is always there, but I never expected anything big to come out of MK8 Amiibos. The game was hardly designed with them in mind.

SerTapTap

...racing suits for miis? Amiibo continuing to be unappealing to me.

Hoping the Kirby inclusion means he'll be in game at some point. I'd rather play as Kirby or Isabelle more than any member of the original cast except Daisy.

I don't think this is a full list of compatible amiibo. Where are Bowser, Rosalina and Wario? Would also be awkward when Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr. amiibo's are released.

Penguin

I don't know, it seems neat

Wasn't expecting a ton, and not like you would buy the figures specifically for this game.

A nice little bonus.

Seems like a pretty useless use of Amiibo if you ask me.

What would be a good use of amiibo?

Personally I find this more interesting than the Smash Bros use of it, which is nigh indistinguishable from simply playing against or with normal CPUs.

With the number of games supporting each increasing, I think you'll find the value of owning a single amiibo will grow over time.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's hardly content though.

True. It's definitely not a selling feature whatsoever. SSB, that's a bit more compelling, but Mario Kart here falls squarely in the "bonus if you already own an Amiibo" category, not the "buy Amiibo for this" category. I kinda feel like it'd be nice to have an icon on the box of a game or in pre-release materials indicating which kind of experience you should expect. "Amiibo enhanced" or "dedicated Amiibo functionality."

69wpm

Sadly Nintendo haven't uploaded the images yet, but there will be one called "amiibo-racing-suits.png". So we will at least get a look at the costumes.

3qpcQLk.png

Revven

I hope there's more like saving cart configs or special carts.

Don't even hope for this because not even the Amiibos for Smash let you store your custom move set/equipment -- the stuff is set exclusively for the Amiibo fighter and not for use by the human player.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You add relevant functionality to amiibo 6 months after mk8 release and there's an uproar.
Or,
You add minuscule amiibo functionality 6 months after mk8 launch and there's whining.

Volotaire

I was very skeptical of the Amiibo applications in games other than Smash Bros. U being shallow or cosmetic, and MK8 only using the figurines for this cosmetic application is a worrying sign. Hopefully future games Nintendo output have been designed in tandem with Amiibo. Although, it is a nice feature.

EDIT: Also hopefully the DLC releases on this date. I suppose we will get more details in the Direct tomorrow.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You add relevant functionality to amiibo 6 months after mk8 release and there's an uproar.
Or,
You add minuscule amiibo functionality 6 months after mk8 launch and there's whining.

Why would there be an uproar? Pretty sure everybody would be happy about the former there.

play as captain falcon mii wearing captain falcon outfit driving blue falcon on mute city

pretend you're playing the new hd f-zero for wii u

FINALLY some details about this.

I don't... really like it though. This "unlock content" angle is something I was hoping they'd steer clear of.

Yes, but... I can't really think of anything else they could do with it. Aside from copying the Smash idea of training your AI fighter/racer which wouldn't really work in MK8.

I think a lot of amiibo integration will be unlocking stuff.

OmegaFax

I read your reply before I read the entire post you were quoting. Need to get my badge changed from Member -> Captain Obvious of I hazard any more posting.

Guess tomorrow's Direct is gotta to be a little more concrete. Maybe we'll get Amiibo updates for Hyrule Warriors and usage in Toad's Treasure Trackers while they're on the topic.

SerTapTap

Personally I find this more interesting than the Smash Bros use of it, which is nigh indistinguishable from simply playing against or with normal CPUs.

With the number of games supporting each increasing, I think you'll find the value of owning a single amiibo will grow over time.

This is the million dollar question, and honestly I'm not sure even Nintendo knows at this point. The physical figures seem like by far the most/only value included in the Amiibo. I guess I'm okay with that over the Skylanders model, but it's still a little underwhelming for something that Nintendo touted like it was going to be a whole "platform".

But maybe it's a better fate to be underwhelming. Like I said, I find Skylanders model pretty gross. I'd rather they be lame than be a required purchase.

Lexxon

I'm not impressed with the amiibo content being offered so far. Smash's is OK and cool for kids, but this one just seems worthless.

This, plus the lack of quality on the final production models completely steer me away from buying any. But, again, I think it's great for the kids. I probably would have wanted a whole set when I was younger.

sam777

True but in my opinion this is nowhere near as good as a use as Smash Bros. This is basically a skin and that is it.

Top Bottom