• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: software update for amiibo to be released on Nov. 13

JoeM86

They could just let you download it for free and the game only work if you have an Amiibo.

Or that.

But yeah, something other than Smash and needing amiibo. I can feel it happening tomorrow. Even if it's like a mini-NintendoLand. Scan the figure and you get a mini-game using that character to play as.

Platy

No Pikachu thankfully. I'm both happy and annoyed at that. Happy because it means I don't have to suddenly add Mario Kart 8 to my site's databased and annoyed because as a Pokémon fan, I feel it should be represented.

Do you think this means that the Pokemon Data is reserved to be used in other games like ORAS ?

I've calculated that before. It'd cost over $11,000 to get them.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get an eShop only amiibo required game announced tomorrow and released by the year's end...perhaps free if you scan the amiibo when on the eShop.

Honestly, if they were to ever do something like that, it'd probably be something like amiibo cards or cheaper figures. If they did do it with full size figures I could imagine it being way more expensive since popularity of each pokemon varies wildly, so they'd probably need a lot of them done a made to order system which would be way more expensive (Since they wouldn't be mass produced in that case)

JoeM86

Do you think this means that the Pokemon Data is reserved to be used in other games like ORAS ?

Or they couldn't get a Pikachu costume looking right.

Maybe Pikachu can work in Hyrule Warriors and becomes a playable character :p

Seriously though, I doubt Pokémon data will be locked to anything.

I'm personally fine with costume changes if they're widely supported.

Imagine if you could unlock additional sprites in Mario Maker.

Golnei

I'm personally fine with costume changes if they're widely supported.

Imagine if you could unlock additional sprites in Mario Maker.

That would be a really ingenious use of amiibos - most of the characters with figures already have heaps of applicable sprite and tilesets that could be ripped and inserted without all that much trouble (so long as they only allowed amiibo-unlocked sprites in 8-bit rather than 3D mode); and the allure of a creation-based game would be magnified tenfold by the presence of other popular characters / IPs.

Bulzeeb

So if I buy the Link amiibo I'll get some stuff for smash, some stuff for MK8 and some other stuff for Hyrule Warriors... I think I'll be buying it after my Samus purchase -_-

Or they couldn't get a Pikachu costume looking right.

Maybe Pikachu can work in Hyrule Warriors and becomes a playable character :p

Seriously though, I doubt Pokémon data will be locked to anything.

I would never need another character in HW if they let me do that.

Unless skull kid is in the MM dlc pack.

Jofamo

I think this is probably just a small part of the overall Mario Kart 8 Amiibo features. A way to allow almost every Smash focused Amiibo toy to unlock or do something in the game.

I'd put money on more substantial Amiibo features for Mario Kart 8 being locked to Mario, Peach, Yoshi and DK, as these were the only supported toys spoken about until now.

So Amiibos in MK8 give your Mii character a costume of another Nintendo character?

Lmao no thanks. $12.99 not worth it in the slightest.
If you think of Amiibos like that then it's likely not for you. It's for those that want a neat figure with extra small features in multiple other games (Smash, MK8, Yarn Yoshi, Matio Party, etc)

Goon Boon

Banned
For reference, here's what the character costumes for Mii's in Mario Golf 3DS looked like :

iAFTfEo.jpg

ddr0M4i.jpg

3TSzPPX.jpg

Yx3wQTj.png

PhfPITR.jpg

Also are we sure these aren't just baseline Amiibo bonuses, for ones not featured as supported by the game (so any amiibo from smash at all gets the costumes, even ones supported by the game like Mario)?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm fine with this; always just expected cute extras. Waiting for dat Animal Crossing U and furniture from amiibos though.

So you want $12.99 worth of content/functionality along with the figure?

Those figures, without any connectivity functionality, are hardly worth $5 to be quite honest. Their quality dropped significantly from what was shown of the prototypes.

So, yes, if I'm gonna pay $13 for a cheap figure, I'd expect it to come along with some worthwhile content.

JoeM86

For reference, here's what the character costumes for Mii's in Mario Golf 3DS looked like :

iAFTfEo.jpg

ddr0M4i.jpg

3TSzPPX.jpg

Yx3wQTj.png

PhfPITR.jpg

Also are we sure these aren't just baseline Amiibo bonuses, for ones not featured as supported by the game (so any amiibo from smash at all gets the costumes, even ones supported by the game like Mario)?

I imagine we'll find out tomorrow :)

NeonZ

Considering this, I wonder if the Link Amiibo functionality in Hyrule Warriors might just be to unlock a Smash Bros costume (Basically the Twilight Princess one but with brighter colors). Personally, I'm not complaining if this kind of cosmetic addition actually becomes common place. They likely put more work into the Smash Bros function, but it seems even less appealing than cosmetic extras.

plufim

So this is the second time the mario kart page has leaked info early. LOL

Was hoping for character themed karts though.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
This is a better reason to pick up an Amiibo than anything in Smash. Falcon, Fox, and Samus, welcome to Mario Kart 8!

Pizza

Hmmmmmm, if these specific figures unlock costumes for miis... what if it's because they're already represented, or part of dlc packs. Then the rest of the amiibos unlock that character as a racer!

DizzyCrow

Hmmmmmm, if these specific figures unlock costumes for miis... what if it's because they're already represented, or part of dlc packs. Then the rest of the amiibos unlock that character as a racer!
No, they will just unlock costumes.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

With the Amiibo suit, you can basically either make a full blown Captain Falcon or Fox McCloud, or just the suit with your Mii face on it. It's up to you.

But seriously. You can make a Captain Falcon Mii, Blue Falcon, and race on the F-Zero track. How bad ass is that.

Hatchtag

Banned

Considering we already know the characters coming, I'd hope more that it means Star Fox, Metroid, and Kirby will get stages. I don't think they will though, that's something they'd want to make a big deal out of.

With the Amiibo suit, you can basically either make a full blown Captain Falcon or Fox McCloud, or just the suit with your Mii face on it. It's up to you.

But seriously. You can make a Captain Falcon Mii, Blue Falcon, and race on the F-Zero track. How bad ass is that.

Exactly. It's almost like having a new F-Zero game.

Kinda hoping for a Star Fox level and an Arwing Kart in pack 2 now...

No Pikachu thankfully. I'm both happy and annoyed at that. Happy because it means I don't have to suddenly add Mario Kart 8 to my site's databased and annoyed because as a Pokémon fan, I feel it should be represented.

M-maybe its because Pikachu will be a new racer in a Pokemon themed DLC update for fall 2015?

Mario-Kart-Pikachu.jpg

Top Bottom