• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8: software update for amiibo to be released on Nov. 13

Will they be reusing the Nintendo Land costumes? Those were neat
Article-MiiSamusRun.jpg

MAtgS

I recall Miyamoto saying that eventually we'll be able to custom order amiibos based on our miis. What happens then if I use that amiibo? My mii wears his clone's skin as a hat?

I recall Miyamoto saying that eventually we'll be able to custom order amiibos based on our miis. What happens then if I use that amiibo? My mii wears his clone's skin as a hat?
1) He only said they were looking into such things.

2) If you tried to use it then the game just wouldn't recognize it, silly. :p

Kouichi

I've always seen the appeal of amiibo as being able to own a bunch of cool, inexpensive figurines of your favorite Nintendo characters that also happen to unlock neat features in various Nintendo games.

So as a huge Star Fox fan, buying a cheap Fox figurine that I can hang on my shelf is already very appealing in itself. Add onto the fact that this figurine will also unlock neat, minor features related to the character in other games is awesome. It gives the figurine a sense of longevity and usefulness since it's more than just a simple toy you display in your room. I think the feature for Smash is really cool and now I know the amiibo will also unlock a neat little costume for my Mii. Imagine if the Fox amiibo continued to unlocked minor Star Fox things in various games. Star Fox costume for Captain Toad would be amazing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering the last software update brought us the free DLC vehicles, hoping this also is the release date for DLC Pack 1.

Also, this cements the fact I should get a Captain Falcon one. Though I feel like I should get an amiibo that can be used over the most games (like Yoshi).

Fox, Samus and Cap should all look like their costume. Kirby and yoshi and stuff will likley just be racing suits with pink or green coloring and their icon on it instead of the Mii one.

I dunno, seems like a neat little added value after the fact.

Make no mistake, fully-featured amiibo compatibility for MK8 was never on the cards. These were designed for Smash, first and foremost- they're designed around the Smash renders. and they have the Smash logo stamped on the boxes. Adding outfits to Mario Kart makes an appealing bonus for buying in, but it's clearly far from the priority.

Golnei

I want knitted Yarn Yoshi Nintendo costumes and Captain toad Nintendo costumes. That would be cute

Using the yarn version of Yoshi definitely would make the costume cuter and less jarring. Though now I'm blaming you for the crushing disappointment when the actual costume is either an egg-patterned version of the standard Mii suit or a creepy Yoshi flesh suit.

Using the yarn version of Yoshi definitely would make the costume cuter and less jarring. Though now I'm blaming you for the crushing disappointment when the actual costume is either an egg-patterned version of the standard Mii suit or a creepy Yoshi flesh suit.
I meant costumes for Yoshi in Wolly World (think LBP) and costumes for Toad in Captain toad

I wonder how liberal they're being with the definition of "costume." Some kind of Kirby reskin on a Mii would look creepy. I hope that in this case "costume" means I'll just get to be, like, the actual Kirby.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Wow. So basically it's costume DLC for $13 each.

I guess it's neat if you already planned to buy Amiibos for other games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Out of all the characters I want to use in Mario Kart, the Mii is firmly on the bottom. Even with themed outfits, no thanks on that.

JoeM86

Not even in that case, because you are not downloading a digital code. I make and sell toys, so I stand for the work and the value of toys

Indeed. I'm all for it, though the completionist in me is grumpy now I have to definitely get at least 10. Can get away with not getting all in Smash, but others...

So Amiibos in MK8 give your Mii character a costume of another Nintendo character?

Lmao no thanks. $12.99 not worth it in the slightest.

You can dress up your Miis with your Amiibos? That's actually really awesome. This makes me want to get Amiibos way more than Smash Bros.' odd little figure players.

So Amiibos in MK8 give your Mii character a costume of another Nintendo character?

It is if you're interested in getting the figurines already. It's not buying a costume for $13, it's buying a figure that comes with a costume, SSB whatnot, and whatever else they decide to use them for down the line.

If nothing else, the fact that MK8 is using more than just the Mario Amiibos is extremely promising. If a significant portion of Nintendo's big titles use the Amiibos in some way, even if it's just small things, they will pay for themselves in fun little bonuses.

Robin64

I see posts like this and, for a moment, think Nintendo shouldn't have bothered making them usable in more than one game.

But with the Smash functionality, the value of the figures themselves, and whatever benefits they unlock in future games? The value adds up.

If you're paying that much for the Mario Kart costumes alone, then yes, that's bad value, but no one will be.

ffdgh

But with the Smash functionality, the value of the figures themselves, and whatever benefits they unlock in future games? The value adds up.

If you're paying that much for the Mario Kart costumes alone, then yes, that's bad value, but no one will be.

I don't know...I'm sure there will be a few who has to have them all lol.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Anything that motivates me to go back to the game will be appreciated. Just in time for the DLC. Hope they imagined something smart :)

Smash functionality is gimmicky at best. As for the value of the figures themselves? Have you not seen the drastic quality drop observed between the prototypes and the final prints? They're terrible looking now. Marth's sword is bendy. Peach's face is herp-a-derpa. Kirby's eyes aren't aligned. Etc. There really isn't quality there.

I'm not gonna play Smash to watch a CPU fight others. I'm gonna play Smash to fight against other people. I really don't see value in Amiibos quite yet. I hope that changes, but so far, not for me.

Roo

So I assume they'll update the game once again when new Amiibo figures are released.
I'm sure Captain Toad will be compatible with Mario Kart 8 as well
Also, where's my Luigi amiibo?

Platy

The fact that they didn't uploaded the image yet praticaly proves that this will be shown at the direct ...

Indeed. I'm all for it, though the completionist in me is grumpy now I have to definitely get at least 10. Can get away with not getting all in Smash, but others...

In before pokemon amiibo set with all 721 pokemon, plus seperate amiibos for every mega evolution and forme change

tebunker

Banned
I love the people complaining about them adding functionality to a game that was not built with it in, 6 months later no less.

Think about this for a moment. Right now Smash is the only game we know about that may have been explicitly designed with Amiibo in mind. It looks like Mario Party, Yoshi, Toad and Kirby are all having it added in now. We still don't have any other games truly built from the ground up for it. I guess that's what Nintendo needs to show.

However I won't be one who complains about a company going back post release and adding functionality to game for potential future purchases. Especially in this era where game companies rarely support their products for very long post launch.

JoeM86

In before pokemon amiibo set with all 721 pokemon, plus seperate amiibos for every mega evolution and forme change

I've calculated that before. It'd cost over $11,000 to get them.

I love the people complaining about them adding functionality to a game that was not built with it in, 6 months later no less.

Think about this for a moment. Right now Smash is the only game we know about that may have been explicitly designed with Amiibo in mind. It looks like Mario Party, Yoshi, Toad and Kirby are all having it added in now. We still don't have any other games truly built from the ground up for it. I guess that's what Nintendo needs to show.

However I won't be one who complains about a company going back post release and adding functionality to game for potential future purchases. Especially in this era where game companies rarely support their products for very long post launch.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get an eShop only amiibo required game announced tomorrow and released by the year's end...perhaps free if you scan the amiibo when on the eShop.

Some of these Amiibo's are going to span across 2+ games, if you own those games it might be worth it for the extras.

At least they are not locking these down to one game only.

JoeM86

Captain Falcon?
Fox?
Pikachu?
Kirby?

The hell is going on?

No Pikachu thankfully. I'm both happy and annoyed at that. Happy because it means I don't have to suddenly add Mario Kart 8 to my site's databased and annoyed because as a Pokémon fan, I feel it should be represented.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I've calculated that before. It'd cost over $11,000 to get them.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get an eShop only amiibo required game announced tomorrow and released by the year's end...perhaps free if you scan the amiibo when on the eShop.

They could just let you download it for free and the game only work if you have an Amiibo.

Top Bottom