• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked emails reveal Nintendo has struck secret deal with Sony for Mario movie

Fiktion

Banned
http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony-nintendo-mario-bros-movie

Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.

“I am the proud father of mario the animated film [sic],” producer Avi Arad told Sony studio chief Amy Pascal in an email dated Oct. 23, 2014, with the subject line “Mario.” Arad then forwarded Pascal separate images of him with Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, the latter of which included the message, “Happy ceo, lets get together, it’s the mother load. [sic]”

Pascal forwarded that email to Tom Rothman, who heads up Sony Pictures subsidiary TriStar Pictures. “Avi closed Mario brothers,” she said. “Animated.”
The deal represents only the first step in a very long road to a greenlight for an actual feature film. Animated films especially go through a long and rigorous script development process before a movie starts production. The emails also did not indicate any filmmakers attached to the project, although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote. (A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)

On Oct. 24, Arad sent an email to Sony Pictures Animation president of production Michelle Raimo Kouyate thanking her for a congratulatory basket she sent him filled with Mario Bros. merchandise. “Thank you Avi!” Kouyate responded. “Let’s build a Mario empire!” Kouyate also sent a photo of the basket to Pascal, and said, “I can think of 3-4 movies right out of the gate on this. So huge!”

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Fuck, you don't think this leak could cause this project to sink, do you?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
J80GGBo.gif

Fuck, you don't think this leak could cause this project to sink, do you?

That's what I've been wondering about all of these Sony leaks - the possible Marvel deal for Spiderman, the 21 Jump Street/Men In Black movie, this - it could all go tits up, since the circumstances of the deals have now significantly shifted.

soultron

Banned
The emails also did not indicate any filmmakers attached to the project, although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote. (A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)

Well, then. Fuck this.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'd be happy if they got Genndy Tartakovsky, he understands good physical humor and story telling. After seeing some clips to the Popeye movie he's working on and how faithful that looks, I think he'd be a perfect fit for Mario.

I have never watched a Nintendo animation before, but judging on the screencaps and the Mario Bros. live action movie, I have no urge to, either.

Sony......making a Mario movie.....
post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gif

Many Nintendo-exclusive titles use Sony-licenced music. It is nothing new. Sony is more than Playstation, and those divisions also need to make money.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah, wasn't there leaked footage of a Legend of Zelda CG film by the dudes who did the recent Astro Boy?

antonz

The one thing to understand about Sony is historically their divisions really don't give a shit about each other as far as deals go. Sony Music has done stuff with Nintendo while refusing to support PlayStation division on similar stuff etc.

In the end Sony has to really impress Nintendo though. They got the rights seemingly to try and impress Nintendo but until they do the deal means nothing

Nintendo has talked about expanding into licensing their characters for film in the past year. This is clearly a path they want to go down and Sony Pictures isn't Sony Computer Entertainment. There's really no cloak and dagger to the deal here.

That said, they have a tentative yes at best from Nintendo and then like a million more steps before anyone even hears this talked about again, if it ever gets that far.

liquidtmd

Banned
“I can think of 3-4 movies right out of the gate on this"

Mario rescues Princess
Mario...rescues Princess
Mario...rescues Princess.
Mario...races round a track in a Kart.

Mario transports to New York, Earth and works as a down on his luck plumber before a mysterious hot chick with a nickname of Peach brushes past him one day. They wink, flirt and then she gets kidnapped by goons due to her witnessing something involving a criminal druglord called Cooper, only to have him reveal at the start of the third act he was born 'Koooooooppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaa'. Hillarity ensues. Rated Arrrgh for pirates, Fuck You

D-Man

A feature-length animated Mario movie has been a dream of mine ever since I was a kid. I really hope this happens now...

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sony......making a Mario movie.....
post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gif

Eh, it's not that weird, really. Sony is a massive company whose different divisions are clearly segmented from each other, even within the same division inside the larger Sony Group. Sony Pictures Entertainment (movies) is, for all intents and purposes, a different company than Sony Computer Entertainment America/Europe (PlayStation), Sony Music Entertainment (music) or Sony Online Entertainment (PC MMOs, mostly). They tend to act more or less independently from each other, so whatever SCE is doing shouldn't (at least on paper) affect any deals made by SPE.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Iwata:
In the January Corporate Management Policy Briefing, I talked about our policy of actively utilizing character IP.Since then, even more people than before with license and other associated business proposals using Nintendo character IP have contacted us.
We are not at a stage where we can share the specifics with you today, but we are seeing possibilities in licensing character IP in areas Nintendo has never worked before. I expect to be able to discuss some of the details before the end of this calendar year.

It's coming.

Hey Avi, get to work on the Metal Gear movie!

This is another salient point. The Metal Gear movie was "announced' in 2012 and Konami was super on board with it. And then kind of...nothing since then. Arad makes good pitches.

Oh yeah, wasn't there leaked footage of a Legend of Zelda CG film by the dudes who did the recent Astro Boy?

It was a pitch for what they wanted to do, I don't think they were solicited to make it.

Top Bottom