• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked emails reveal Nintendo has struck secret deal with Sony for Mario movie

Duxxy3

As long as Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo are in it, I'm game. I watched that awful a disturbing amount of times when I was kid (somewhere north of 20 times (hey, I was a kid, that's what kids do)).

soultron

Banned
As long as Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo are in it, I'm game. I watched that awful a disturbing amount of times when I was kid (somewhere north of 20 times (hey, I was a kid, that's what kids do)).

I've got some bad news for you, friend.

antonz

Bob Hoskins died in April :/

Duxxy3

Bob Hoskins might be tough to get these days...

I've got some bad news for you, friend.

Bob Hoskins passed away this year.

2625864_o.gif

antonz

While there are a million hurdles in the way including needing to impress Iwata and Miyamoto on a story I could see Sony being very serious about this one. They and everyone knows Mario prints money.

If they can impress Nintendo and actually get it going they could potentially have a big new franchise under their wing for movies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo being interested in movies is a step in the right direction.

It has to be done right though, but I am glad, if ever they deal does indeed goes through, that it's Sony Animation as Disney - nope, never was going to happen, and DreamWorks, please I'd rather they not tough Mario with the tragedy that was Penguins, I have no faith in them.

And Sony needs the franchise more than anything, Spiderman + Bond ain't going to sustain them for eternity.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Nintendo being interested in movies is a step in the right direction.

Well, there are the Pokemon Movies which still do pretty well in Japan, and there was that cute Animal Crossing film release awhile back that I think did pretty okay?

While there are a million hurdles in the way including needing to impress Iwata and Miyamoto on a story I could see Sony being very serious about this one. They and everyone knows Mario prints money.

If they can impress Nintendo and actually get it going they could potentially have a big new franchise under their wing for movies.

Sony isn't serious about Spider-Man or Steve Jobs. Or Angelina Jolie. Or Barrack Obama. Or Kazuo Hirai. Don't think they're serious about Miyamoto, Iwata or Mario either.

I've got some bad news for you...

Well that's what I get for not refreshing the page

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Watch Nintendo pulls out of the deal and make the Mario movie with Dreamworks, while Sony reacts with a Jak and Daxter movie

Sandfox

It has to be done right though, but I am glad, if ever they deal does indeed goes through, that it's Sony Animation as Disney - nope, never was going to happen, and DreamWorks, please I'd rather they not tough Mario with the tragedy that was Penguins, I have no faith in them.

And Sony needs the franchise more than anything, Spiderman + Bond ain't going to sustain them for eternity.

I don't see Sony turning down any deals so it would just be up to them impressing Nintendo. This leak might turn them off on Sony, but the rumored issues the Japanese side has with Sony Pictures could also help this move if they step in.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
After seeing Wreak-It-Ralph, I would only trust Disney with handling a Nintendo property in regards to a movie.

Sony Pictures handling a Nintendo movie is just plain silly. Even DreamWorks would be a better fit.

Richie

Hilarious that the only videogame related leak out of Sony is from their old school rival lol.

Megaton though. Tartakovski fuck yes this I would approve of.

If this goes down - getting Tartakovsky could help in creating a movie that is great at visual storytelling with a minimum of dialog.

But even WITH a minimum of dialog - you can't have Martinet doing that fucking voice. You've gotta actually give that plumber a delineated personality. I don't think he can do it. And I'm pretty sure I don't want him to try, either.

Avi Arad is one of the people that got Marvel Studios off the ground.

That said, he's been trying to produce a ton of game-to-film projects and I don't think any of them is even at the production stage. Infamous, Uncharted, Twisted Metal and I think Metal Gear Solid are on his plate right now.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Mario? Legend if Zelda and Metroid would make better movies.

Mario is commercial & known worldwide - the others, not so much

3D Pokemon Movie would be green-light, before those mentioned above.

SalvaPot

... although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars.

Fry-WigOut.gif

Top Bottom