• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sankei Biz: Sharp to provide Nintendo with free-form display (Rumour)

L~A

According to Sankei Biz, Sharp (already providing Nintendo with the 3D screen of the 3DS) will provide Nintendo with a free-form display for their next handheld (they mention the 3DS or a successor) or maybe their QoL device. It's all a rumour, but quite credible if Sankei Biz is to be believed.

From the looks of it, mass production for that type of screen (not made just for Nintendo, it's one of Sharp's own projects) was supposed to start in 2017, but Sharp managed to speed things up and production will actually start in 2016. Apparently, Nintendo are experimenting with some sort of donut-shapred display.

If that free-form display is for the next handheld, I doubt we're going to see it before late 2016/early 2017 at the earliest. Same for QoL. What's more, costs for such screen will probably be quite high, and we know Nintendo like their components cheap in order to maximise profits on hardware sales... So who knows what it's all about for now.

Source

Thanks StreetsAhead for the help with translation :)

braves01

Banned
HomerDonuts.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can see the circular stuff interesting for watches and QoL sorts of things, useless for games. Curved screens have the most application potential with things like VR and immersion.

guit3457

"The 12.3-inch Free-Form Display prototype demonstrated by the company hints at potential automotive implementations, but the design canvas seems pretty much open to wearables, odd-shaped smartphones and tablets, and customized digital signage.

The next step for Sharp is to enter mass production, something it plans to do in the very near future."

Or odd-shaped handheld.

TheMoon

People talking about QoL and watches: You're forgetting QoL is about non-wearables.

"The 12.3-inch Free-Form Display prototype demonstrated by the company hints at potential automotive implementations, but the design canvas seems pretty much open to wearables, odd-shaped smartphones and tablets, and customized digital signage.

The next step for Sharp is to enter mass production, something it plans to do in the very near future."

Or odd-shaped handheld.

wiiproto2wbo3.jpg

18-Volt

Late 2016 early 2017 handheld launch is not good for Nintendo, 3DS us dying much faster than DS in west and third party has left it for good. First party games are the only thing keep 3DS alive.

Amir0x

Banned
I am struggling to imagine the potential game applications of a donut shaped display. I mean I am sure Nintendo is thinking of something, but uhhh... boy I'm reaching and got nothing.

Edit: maybe it goes on your wrist and you wear it around when you're not playing it? But man how would you hold it to play regular games? Uncomfortably, probably!

Scum

I am struggling to imagine the potential game applications of a donut shaped display. I mean I am sure Nintendo is thinking of something, but uhhh... boy I'm reaching and got nothing.

You're not fitting that QoL device in your pocket, mate. :p

Nanashrew

Banned
Donut shaped screen? How does one make a toroidal shaped screen? Unless it's flat and circular or curved like a curved TV or VR helmet.

EDIT: while looking up things I found this curved watch:

I am really confused what it could mean.

L~A

I wonder... wouldn't that be ideal for VR headsets? I don't believe Nintendo's making one, I was just wondering if it could be used for that sort of device.

Atram

Edit: maybe it goes on your wrist and you wear it around when you're not playing it? But man how would you hold it to play regular games? Uncomfortably, probably!

an HH with a curved Display would improve glassles 3D effect (if Nintendo would like to continue with 3D). Another possibilaty for an HH is one touchpanel Display shaped like Buttons etc.

Late 2016 early 2017 handheld launch is not good for Nintendo, 3DS us dying much faster than DS in west and third party has left it for good. First party games are the only thing keep 3DS alive.

Managing over 5 years to a little over 6 is bad for a Nintendo handheld?

Dr. Buni

I don't know what to think about this.
They shouldn't release a new handheld until late 2016/early 2017 imo.

Most fitting seems to be for that QoL project.
I don't know if a VR headset needs a free-form display per se. It's mostly about the lenses in such a device, no? I'm not sure. It could still be used for some kind of wearable device.

DizzyCrow

When I thought Nintendo couldn't use yet another gimmick, for the love of God Nintendo just make good games, is it that hard?

Jackano

I believe/hope this is for QoL. Because free-form means even less standard resolution to me to work with, so alienate further the eventual Nintendo hardware regarding 3rd parties.

Note that Sharp provided Game & Watch parts too :)

DizzyCrow

They have been making bad games?

Well.. they make good games.

They do that already, they need something to do in their free-time.

Like a smart-watch.

They have and I have no doubt Splatoon will be another great game :p

Were you in a coma for the past two years?
I didn't said that they don't make good games, I just want them keep doing them without useless gimmicks that even them barely use or when a lot of uses are shoehorned.

The user is clearly saying "just make good games." That Nintendo should be funneling money into making more good games, rather than split it between games and side-moving tech R&D

Nanashrew

Banned
I didn't said that they don't make good games, I just want them keep doing them without useless gimmicks that even them barely use.

Well, we don't know what this really means honestly. If it's a curved screen it could actually make things better and not so much a gimmick as it is something that enhances viewing naturally. Or this could just be QOL stuff like a smart watch.

I didn't said that they don't make good games, I just want them keep doing them without useless gimmicks that even them barely use or when a lot of uses are shoehorned.
Excuse me, I LOVED the Wiimote, dual screens, and 3D displays. I even love my Gamepad.

Servbot24

Banned

Releasing a new handheld every time there's a 3rd party drought is not a viable strategy.

People would be even less likely to buy their systems if they didn't have a gimmick.

I'm curious if this display will be used for augmented reality. We know from patents like this that they're researching it quite a bit, so I'm thinking the donut shape could lend itself well to a projection or hologram of sorts.

This technology doesn't actually specifiy curved displays, a technology that is being used today in TVs and smartwatches by many manufacturs today. Like the LG Flex, Samsung Curve etc.

samsung_galaxy_note_edge-3.jpg
Samsung Edge.

However, this technology seems to specify displays that can take on irregular shapes, like with cutouts or -as mentioned- a 'donut' shape even.

ffd.jpg

Well, there have been round displays for a while. As seen recently on the Moto 360 smartwatch:

Moto-360_Map-820x420.jpg

But this Sharp technology will be able to provide even more intricate shapes it seems.

Nintendo's next handheld confirmed:

sub02.jpg

SerodD

I don't know what to think about this.

They shouldn't release a new handheld until late 2016/early 2017 imo.

I agree, given the fact they just released the NEW 3DS in Japan/Australia and are about to release it in the rest of the world.

I think the new 3DS and XL were launched for a reason. It seems likely that Nintendo did so for more than just the Xenoblade remaster for it.

Aesnath

I'm pretty much willing to go try whatever Ninty does, but I really don't see the advantage in this kind of thing. Of all the things I've ever said about video games "damn this screen is too square" is not one of them.

Top Bottom