• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sankei Biz: Sharp to provide Nintendo with free-form display (Rumour)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's probably for QOL. Considering the sleep tracker comes out next year and how this is supposed to be a 2016/2017 thing, probably it's for a different QOL device. Remember: the sleep tracker is just the first device in the QOL business.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
could be anything, both QOL or Handheld, curved, donut, everything. I really like this speculation phase! :D

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My bet is also on QoL, Probably they are preparing different shapes for the monitoring thing.

How about a Mario amiibo with screen incorporated that can be used also as monitoring device. You can scan it with NFC and it uploads the data on you console/handheld/computer/phone and the app associated provides you with a full overview, while the integrated screen provides most important data on spot.

Nanashrew

Banned
This technology doesn't actually specifiy curved displays, a technology that is being used today in TVs and smartwatches by many manufacturs today. Like the LG Flex, Samsung Curve etc.

However, this technology seems to specify displays that can take on irregular shapes, like with cutouts or -as mentioned- a 'donut' shape even.

ffd.jpg

What is that? It looks like a blood pressure machine but I'm not sure.

Scum

It's probably for QOL. Considering the sleep tracker comes out next year and how this is supposed to be a 2016/2017 thing, probably it's for a different QOL device. Remember: the sleep tracker is just the first device in the QOL business.

My bet is also on QoL, Probably they preparing different shapes for the monitoring thing.

How about a Mario amiibo with screen incorporated that can be used also as monitoring device. You can scan it with NFC and it uploads the data on you console/handheld/computer/phone and the app associated provides you with a full overview, while the integrated screen provides most important data on spot.

140618.jpg

Right on the bedside table, with a different display of course.

MilesTeg

Banned
I'm pretty much willing to go try whatever Ninty does, but I really don't see the advantage in this kind of thing. Of all the things I've ever said about video games "damn this screen is too square" is not one of them.

Looking at those last few pics, seems to me there could be advantages in form factor using this type of screen. I mean basically the screen fits any way you need it to fit, so I imagine someone like Nintendo could reduce the size of their handheld, seeing as it no longer needs to strictly be designed around a rectangle in the middle of the device. As in, the screen is designed around the form factor and not the other way around as it always has been. Surely there are some things Nintendo could do with handheld design considering that.

Chances are you would still be looking at a rectangle screen, however things would look different under the hood.

Josh7289

I'm leaning towards this being for QoL. Maybe... a sleep meter, or something.

It's hard to think of applications for games.

E-phonk

Banned
Yeah.. QoL would make sense. Especially because coming out with a "unique" (or what some would call gimmicky) design might give them that extra "this is the future" edge.

BqZNGG9CIAAwLlq.jpg

I think this would be perfect for Nintendo to implement in their next handheld. They could put the screen literally anywhere on the device and it could even wrap around the control sticks/d-pads for easy touch access.

MilesTeg

Banned
BqZNGG9CIAAwLlq.jpg

I think this would be perfect for Nintendo to implement in their next handheld. They could put the screen literally anywhere on the device and it could even wrap around the control sticks/d-pads for easy touch access.

Exactly what I was trying to say in my last post. Analog sticks (or circle pads), buttons, d-pad etc could actually be in the screen (or rather, the screen would have holes for these things to fit). Clearly there are design advantages here.

The Boat

The only thing I can think of is some sort of secondary display for auxiliary functions, maybe instead of two "regular" screens, you'll have a main one and second, small, oddly shaped screen (not donut shaped) for easy access to some things. That or it's a QoL thing. Or nothing, maybe it's nothing :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Exactly what I was trying to say in my last post. Analog sticks (or circle pads), buttons, d-pad etc could actually be in the screen (or rather, the screen would have holes for these things to fit). Clearly there are design advantages here.

Mmmh...
For example, a new handheld with the clamshell form factor, and two screens.
Top screen: 960x540 (1920x540 with 3D enabled), classic screen, 5"
Lower screen: a free-form display that has a central part which resembles the top screen (5", 960x540), but that it actually goes over that, has holes for buttons and circle pads. It could be used to personalise the internal part of the console as you like, with just a touch on the bottom part, which is actually a giant screen!

mclem

I am struggling to imagine the potential game applications of a donut shaped display. I mean I am sure Nintendo is thinking of something, but uhhh... boy I'm reaching and got nothing.

Pipboy.

(Yeah, it's a stretch, but that's what sprung to mind first.)

nickcv

on the other hand this kind of screens are probably more expensive than a regular one.

Also while it could be cool to have the screen wrapping around the controls that area will be almost always obstructed by the controls themselves and the user hands and fingers, meaning that nothing that ends up being there can really be used to display useful information.

The playing area would end up being again a rectangle, with maybe some extra space on the top left and top right that could be used for GUIs.

WjaYsun.jpg

also, we know that they want to unify their platforms to make it easier to develop for both at once.

An oddly shaped screen (that won't ever match your rectangular tv) can not really be used for anything too substantial, unless the plan is to just regroup any GUI element inside the rectangle for the home version in the eventuality that the title is both on their portable and home console.

I'm not sure the additional cost for something that's going to be basically useless would make any sense.

I'll give you that it would look really cool, though.

L~A

Since that kind of screen is probably going to be veeeeeeery expensive, even if it's for a handheld, it won't be for the 4DS (or whatever they call the successfor to the 3DS).

It's probably QOL related, just because life sucks. When people decide that autostereoscopic 3D was useless I knew I wasn't part of this industry anymore :(

18-Volt

Releasing a new handheld every time there's a 3rd party drought is not a viable strategy.

Spamming Mario and Pokémon titles to cover third party absence isn't that good strategy either.

I think the new 3DS and XL were launched for a reason. It seems likely that Nintendo did so for more than just the Xenoblade remaster for it.

I'm hoping for this too, Nintendo pushing New 3DS as a transition system. But for now it doesn't seem that way, Nintendo hasn't even announced system for west and there is only one exclusive game announced. Hopefully Nintendo has more stuff to announce at e3.

Just seems bizarre to make a screen like that for gaming.

Any games ported from other devices or older systems would have to use a rectangular area, and any games developed for this device that use the oddly-shaped screen will have a tough time being ported to other devices too.

What would you call the resolution on a screen like that? How much "p" is it?

egruntz

shelaughz
Oh, so this just means the screen doesn't have to be a rectangle?
Okay. Took me a while to figure out what free form was supposed to mean.

I didn't said that they don't make good games, I just want them keep doing them without useless gimmicks that even them barely use or when a lot of uses are shoehorned.

You're freaking out over a rumor that they're buying a component that may or may not be used in a handheld gaming device.

Hatchtag

Banned
Probably for QOL, but I'd love to see them return to fun gimmicks (touch screen/Wii Remote) after how pointless their gimmicks this gen (3D/gamepad) were.

patientx

Sharp not only provided game & watch but also the ds 3d tech too I think ?

I am thinking a hmd here. Cheap probably between rift 1 and 2 tech ; most people will find it old tech but nntendo will end up creating a few great games on it. In the end however 3rd party won't be ,nterested in it at all. Not this time :)

Sharp not only provided game & watch but also the ds 3d tech too I think ?

I am thinking a hmd here. Cheap probably between rift 1 and 2 tech ; most people will find it old tech but nntendo will end up creating a few great games on it. In the end however 3rd party won't be ,nterested in it at all. Not this time :)

Really unlikely Nintendo will do VR for a variety of reasons that I can't be bothered to get into.

Pizza

Hmmmm, what if it's a VR headset? It could have stereoscopic 3d and curve around your eyes like a C-shape or a half-sphere to give peripheral vision? I know current 3d hardware isn't quite up for that, but it'd be wild

Peltz

Obviously, you slide a cylindrical object into the hole for some stimulating feedback....(yes, sarcasm).

But seriously, I can't really imagine placing buttons or control sticks within the screen area. It seems like it'd only make games more difficult to design for such an odd layout. It'd get very smudgy too.

I think this is some sort of wearable screen, but Nintendo is touting a "nonwearable" mantra so I'm probably wrong about that too.

So, I'm convinced I'll never be able to predict anything Nintendo will do... ever. They are nuts and I love them for it.

Peltz

Hmmmm, what if it's a VR headset? It could have stereoscopic 3d and curve around your eyes like a C-shape or a half-sphere to give peripheral vision? I know current 3d hardware isn't quite up for that, but it'd be wild

But is that really a "hole"? Curved =/= hole.

Top Bottom