• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono: Street Fighter 5 trying to attract more young players, have excellent netcode

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As part of Polygon's gigantic Japanese developer interview series.

Polygon said:
The game is still early in development, and for marketing reasons Ono can't go into gameplay details, apart from a few teases. He says he's attempting to bring more young players into the series, who may be easily distracted by other forms of entertainment, and he wants to grow the game's tournament scene. He also says he wants to improve the netcode in Capcom's fighting games in general.

"We were able, with Street Fighter X Tekken, to develop new netcode that was a generational leap above what we'd done previously but were unable to work that code into Ultra [Street Fighter 4] since the underlying tech is so different," says Ono. "I'd certainly like to continue breaking new ground in this arena."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Ono-Street-Fighter-5

Also, apparently there were no issues getting the game greenlit:

This time, he didn't have to dance around the idea. Thanks to the ongoing popularity of Street Fighter 4 and fighting games in general, Capcom executives had enough evidence from the market.

Ono set out to find the right direction and build a team for the project, which ended up with him once again collaborating with developer Dimps.

Ferrio

Banned
He says he's attempting to bring more young players into the series, who may be easily distracted by other forms of entertainment, and he wants to grow the game's tournament scene. He also says he wants to improve the netcode in Capcom's fighting games in general.

Does that make alarms go off in anyone else's head besides mine?

Jawmuncher

What could you add to SF to get more young players?
SF4 already at least at launch had a very big base of all kinds of players.

Does that make alarms go off in anyone else's head besides mine?

It does because it could literally be anything.

"Thanks to the ongoing popularity of Street Fighter 4 and fighting games in general"

I hope this doesn't count as port begging because that's not my intention, but because of that statement wouldn't it be the most logical step to introduce SF4 to as many consoles as possible?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

The bulky look added that. Colorful characters and facial expressions. Maybe Ono thinks about this differently than we do. He should make one that will stand the test of time. Not tear fans apart.

Laconic

Banned
Trying to attract "newer, younger audience?

Those input windows are going to be hilaribad.

I wonder how many 1-framers we'll be able to cram into them.

smurfx

get some go again
Hopefully Sony helps them with the net code. I don't really trust capcom when it comes to net code. They might simplify some of the moves in sf5 if they want to attract newer players. Like zangief no longer having 720 motions and it and other things being simplified. Maybe also having a much better story mode.

Jawmuncher

What do young people like these days?

Minecraft and Call of Duty.
Don't know how either of those apply to SF.
Only other thing I can think of is Roster and having a focus group character.
Like Resident Evil 6 did with Jake Muller (Though I like that character still)

Trying to attract "newer, younger audience?

Those input windows are going to be hilaribad.

I wonder how many 1-framers we'll be able to cram into them.

Well Skull Girls shows that charge characters can have easier inputs but still be challenging.
So there is that. But then again that's a whole different style of fighting game.
(I'm not too well versed in fighting game so i know im talking about something else)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
is the netcode in SxT noticeably better than SF4

Not really, well kinda at first but about a 100x worse after the patch which got 100x even more worse when the PS3/Vita crossplay patch released.

Then the pc version's netcode might probably be the worse netcode up there witth MKvsDC last gen

stn

I really hope that's not Ono-speak for dumbing the game down more. USF4 is fun to play but it definitely has some noticeable flaws.

Xav

Do whatever it takes to steal Namco's SoulCalibur V, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 & Super Smash Bros 4's netcode.

He's specifically highlighted rollback netcode as a good thing in relation to what he wants to do with SF5.

If SF5 has, I dunno, near GGPO quality netcode, that would be a HUGE FREAKING DEAL.

Sit at home and practice online and not have to worry about timing differences!

Exr

Maybe Im a jaded dicklord, but the appeal to younger players sounds like it could manifest itself in the form of yet another comeback mechanic...hope Im wrong. Great news about the netcode though.

Jawmuncher

Cool about attracting young folks, probably means casual friendly. Bye, bye one frame links.

The thing is here though is that they wouldn't even know about that.
So how would that attract more players. I would think features and stuff on the surface would be more important to attracting players.

"See Boon !!!!!! this is how its done, talking about netcode early on"

In Boon's defense, *talking* about netcode doesn't mean shit. It's the end result that counts. In Boon's offense, Netherrealm isn't getting that end result right either.

Pompadour

So how would that attract more players. I would think features and stuff on the surface would be more important to attracting players.

Right, removing things like one frame links is for the benefit of intermediate players. What attracts new players is flash and low barriers of entry.

Laconic

Banned

Especially when you take into account the way they touted SF4 as being designed from the ground up to be "beginner friendly".

Three 1-frame links in your bread and butter is NOT beginner friendly, any more that adding a stupid execution barrier to what basically amounted to Roman Cancels.

David___

Banned
Was that before or after he begged Sony for help getting it off the ground with money and development assistance? :p Ono san, always humble

Wondering this as well since it wasn't a while ago where he said he didn't have the budget and staff for it.

Cinematic story mode like Mortal Kombat?

Yeah, I think this is very important. They need to have a lot of meat to the single player. And not just the story mode. They need something like the Challenge Tower as well. It can't just be a game that's built around playing against others.

dumb down the controls more

increase frame windows for extra casual-ness, no more 1-frame links etc.

more goofyness like a saucepan falling someones head after a K.O.

ultra-bad voice acting, talking one piece english dub here.

stuff like that.

impact

Banned
Maybe Im a jaded dicklord, but the appeal to younger players sounds like it could manifest itself in the form of yet another comeback mechanic...hope Im wrong. Great news about the netcode though.

Well when Capcom sees how much the FGC loves scrubby comeback mechanics in their two current games, what the fuck do you expect? Ultra meter is completely pointless and X-factor is the lamest mechanic in any fighting game ever. Yet the FGC is still eating these shit games up...

Omega

Banned
Nothing wrong with trying to attract more younger players. You cant host EVO 2025 with a 45 year old Daigo and a 90 year old Alex Valle.

Also lol @ some people worrying about the game being "casual"

Did you miss the last 6 years? Or are we going to pretend SF4 is some hardcore fighter? Oh right, I forgot, everything is "noob friendly" when it releases and then transitions to being a real man's game when a newer version releases.

Kumubou

Regarding the better netcode: I'll believe it when I see it. It's a claim that gets thrown around a lot but usually comes up short. The only time I can remember it actually coming through was from Namco (the jump from SC4 and T6 to SC5 and TTT2 was unreal) and Lab Zero (and they're an outlier for everything, it seems). Hopefully they end up doing alpha/beta waves to make sure it works (and also as a nice PR gimmick).

SF5 is going to be a rhythm based fighting game.

Like, literally Curtain Call.

Street Fighter IIDX?

...I would play it.

I would say a combo system leaned toward people not wanting to memorize lots of buttons. It is why I like Soul Calibur and Smash Bros.

entremet

I honestly think something like Marvel 3.

Marvel does have some one framers, but it's mostly chain combo heavy.

JeTmAn81

"Thanks to the ongoing popularity of Street Fighter 4 and fighting games in general"

I hope this doesn't count as port begging because that's not my intention, but because of that statement wouldn't it be the most logical step to introduce SF4 to as many consoles as possible?

Probably so, but I don't think many people would play SF4 on the WiiU.

Mesoian

I keep saying, if they aren't copying every single feature that ArcSys fighters have when it comes to online, they are fucking up royally.

ArcSys put Capcom to shame every single fucking time last gen. Even Guilty Gear XX:R on 360, which has awful netcode, provided a better online experience than SSF4 and it's iterations.

Top Bottom