• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono: Street Fighter 5 trying to attract more young players, have excellent netcode

Unless you mean SF5, they already kinda are porting SF4 to as many consoles as possible.

For SF5, well Sony has given them both a moneyhat and a peoplehat (AFAIK Japan Studio is co-developing), so uh no.

Yes, I ment SF5 Haha. I also read SF5 is running on UE4. Given that it's a very scalable engine and that the architecture of the console have never been closer, I think cost/earnings wise it would have been a wise step to go multiplat.
I guess Capcom saw enough benefits. That said, I think Sony will market SF5 a lot and associate it with the PS brand. Good move.

Swarna

Pretty sure the "trying to attract more young players" part is referring to features like story mode, lore, tutorials, etc. It's not like new players are going to play SF5 specifically because they heard there were gonna be comeback mechanics or no 1-frame links. lol

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Thank you Ono!

Rollback netcode is a must so it's good to see they are going to put in some serious effort into netcode. Input delay netcode used in SF4 series and GGXrd is so lazy and out of date.

I'm fine with them finding a better balance between 1frame link heavy SF4 and 3rd Strike.

From what very little I played of SFxT, the netcode was complete shit.

What platform? Was it the patched SFxT or just early days?

I played patched SFxT online (x360) for about 300+ games and the netcode is the best in a Capcom 3D fighter. Sure, it could use more improvements, but thanks to SFV being on PS4 and PC I'm sure they can really implement the rollback netcode even better.

Clawww

I think one aspect of 'aiming for younger players' might be the emphasis on more unique and differentiated characters.

"Thanks to the ongoing popularity of Street Fighter 4 and fighting games in general"

I hope this doesn't count as port begging because that's not my intention, but because of that statement wouldn't it be the most logical step to introduce SF4 to as many consoles as possible?
That would mean no cross-platform play.

I'm assuming you're not talking about PS3. :p

stn

How does SF2 have no execution at all? Say you want to do Cammy's cr. mk into her super: you can't even mash it, you have to press DF - D+K - F+K. In SF4 you can hit cr. mk and just mash DF like no tomorrow.

SF4 has no barrier to entry when it comes to basic combos and punishes, but becomes hard when you incorporate one-frame links and FADC. SF2 has a barrier of entry from the beginning but becomes easy once you get used to it.

"How does SF2 have no execution at all? Say you want to do Cammy's cr. mk into her super: you can't even mash it, you have to press DF - D+K - F+K. In SF4 you can hit cr. mk and just mash DF like no tomorrow."

No one has actually said SF2 has no execution, I'm not even sure why Laconic made the implication? I didn't even mention SF2 until I referred to the fact that you can't special cancel from chains (like SF4). So, I dunno. My later post regarding SF2 was one talking about how it both has difficult combos and those difficult combos do a ton more damage than easier combos.

Zombine

Banned
What younger players want? He's talking about apps and social media. There will probably be Twitter smack talk integration, an aggressive twitch campaign, and maybe a SF app that lets you view your stats, recent matches, make friends, and communicate with the Capcom community. Expect to have some sort of site to sign up for to experience that, like WB ID/EA/UPlay ect.

Laconic

Banned
That's...exactly what you're saying in what I quoted.

Incorrect. That is not at all what I said. Read it again.

If you want easy combos to have as much payoff or more as a more challenging combo, then you want the reward to be high for easier combos. Looking at SF2, the payoff for hitting Deejay's sobat is a good bit of damage. The payoff for hitting Deejay's ToD is winning a round immediately.

I want difficult combos to not be such a major factor in high end play, yes.

Deejay's ToD is not exactly a major aspect of high level SF2 play. If anything, it is an example of much lower level play on his opponent's part, in the areas that really count.

Razzorn34

okay... But SF2 was a game with a very archaic combo system compared to modern fighters.

And? What I'm saying is, every modern fighter doesn't need to be execution heavy. There is room for games that have it, and games that don't. This is coming from a guy who loves SF4, and doesn't mind execution.

On the same note, look at FPS games. We have regressed overall. Quake and Unreal were some of the pinnacle shooters in terms of execution. Everything now is molasses compared to those games. Only because devs realized that not every FPS game needed to have a crazy skill cap. Again, coming from a guy that loves Quake, and will never touch a military shooter.

real question: will Street Fighter dump focus attacks or will it sadly inherit FAs in SF5?

if Focus Attacks are an integral part of SF5, count me out.

"I want difficult combos to not be such a major factor in high end play, yes."

I mean you can dance around what words you've said, but what you're saying is exactly the same, just phrased differently.

"Deejay's ToD is not exactly a major aspect of high level SF2 play. If anything, it is an example of much lower level play on his opponent's part, in the areas that really count."

Yeah, because high level players never get hit, even by other high level players.

Good netcode you say?

tumblr_llaj1fufIL1qzjix8.gif

Everything SFIV-related was shit.

I'm sorry...what?
SFIV was not perfect, but very far from shit.

He says he's attempting to bring more young players into the series, who may be easily distracted by other forms of entertainment

Hopefully this has something to do with increasing player engagement online. Downtime between matches is dreadfully long and matchmaking takes forever in every Capcom game.

Fitts

"Young players?" What about us old timers who can't handle one frame links anymore. :'(

fuck plinking

This time, he didn't have to dance around the idea. Thanks to the ongoing popularity of Street Fighter 4 and fighting games in general, Capcom executives had enough evidence from the market.

lol to all those that thought SFV wouldnt of happened if it wasnt for Sony.

Fitts

lol to all those that thought SFV wouldnt of happened if it wasnt for Sony.

Sure, but you can't say the deal hasn't had its upsides. Cross platform play with PC and injecting money into the FGC is pretty dang awesome. I'm still on team multiplat as I oppose third-party exclusives whether I care about the game or not, but at least something good is coming out of this particular instance.

yurinka

Ono is God but this article doesn't add almost anything new, really weak interview. Wasted oportunity from Polygon.

GorillaJu

I'm down for easier links. Fighting games should be about strategy, speed of thought, and predictions, not plugging away dozens of hours just to master your characters bread and butter combos.

stn

Uhhhhh, Dee-Jay's ToD combo is a huge part of his play. As a Dee-Jay main who still plays ST, I'm always looking for a good cross-up opportunity after the knock down. Just watch how many times Afro Legends or Hazi land the ToD. Better yet, watch a high level Dictator matchup. I've probably spent at least 100 hours playing with GGPO's best Dictator, I can't even tell you how many times he's gotten me and other high level players with that ToD.

fader

And? What I'm saying is, every modern fighter doesn't need to be execution heavy. There is room for games that have it, and games that don't. This is coming from a guy who loves SF4, and doesn't mind execution.

On the same note, look at FPS games. We have regressed overall. Quake and Unreal were some of the pinnacle shooters in terms of execution. Everything now is molasses compared to those games. Only because devs realized that not every FPS game needed to have a crazy skill cap. Again, coming from a guy that loves Quake, and will never touch a military shooter.

SF4 is execution heavy? There is always going to be high-risk/high rewards in every competitive game. Unless you want a noob tube in every fighting game, adjusting execution is not going to benefit as much as you think.

On Steam it's kinda garbage. And these fucks simply abandoned it.

they did not abandon it.

Sure, but you can't say the deal hasn't had its upsides. Cross platform play with PC and injecting money into the FGC is pretty dang awesome. I'm still on team multiplat as I oppose third-party exclusives whether I care about the game or not, but at least something good is coming out of this particular instance.

Hey Im not against the deal. Im glad its happened, its only going to benefit Capcom and SFV. Just looking back when this news broke and how so many people actually believed this. lol

I don't think anyone thinks that. I think the common thought is that it would have happened, just not as soon.

No, i was part of a lot of the threads when the news broke. I saw a lot posters saying otherwise.

real question: will Street Fighter dump focus attacks or will it sadly inherit FAs in SF5?

if Focus Attacks are an integral part of SF5, count me out.

doubt it. the mainline SF games always have a new gimmick for each series.

SF1 & SF2 didn't really have a gimmick, other than ST introducing the super meter.
SF Alpha series introduced custom combos/isms, and they weren't in any other SF game.
SF3 series introduced parrying, not in any other SF game.
SF4 series introduced focus attacks/cancels, probably not in any other SF game?

i would guess that the trend will continue with SF5 with something fresh

synce

Didn't Ono recently say that he COULDN'T convince Capcom to make SF5? He should make up his mind. Anyway given what I've seen I don't think they could possibly screw it up. It's not 3D and there's no gems

Personally I don't have a problem with one-frame links, as long as they don't dominate the meta-game. However, for SFIV they created too big a barrier in order to get to that pro-level, because of one thing and one thing only: terrible online netcode.

Most people playing probably don't get a chance to go out to Socal or EVO. I know casuals don't. So it's insane to put so many one-frame link combos in a game requiring perfect timing and zero lag, but then knowing most people play online, and knowing your online netcode is pretty pathetic. That's an arbitrary barrier being put up where there need be none.

So Capcom/Sony, please get good netcode this time. Don't use that as an excuse to overload on one-frame links, but at least in that case I won't feel the urge to travel cross-country in order to execute them consistently in a real match.

Why would anyone think FAs will be part of SF5? Every SF mainline game has had its own sub system apart from past SF games.
Yeah they're definitely not in there. On the other hand, you can use V-trigger like a FADC, so there's compensation.

Street Fighter x Minecraft
Not gonna lie, that would actually be a really awesome spinoff. A just-for-fun SF with that visual style I mean.

Skilletor

I'm down for easier links. Fighting games should be about strategy, speed of thought, and predictions, not plugging away dozens of hours just to master your characters bread and butter combos.

No thanks. I think all of it is integral to a good fighting game.

blackadde

what character in sfiv requires DOZENS of hours to learn a bnb.

for real even the hardest BnBs in the game (viper fierce feint fierce, makoto s.hp HC s.mp, honda lp->hands. etc) you can learn in like a day.

the strongest meterless punish MOST characters have is like fierce xx special.

Skilletor

what character in sfiv requires DOZENS of hours to learn a bnb.

for real even the hardest BnBs in the game (viper fierce feint fierce, makoto s.hp HC s.mp, honda lp->hands. etc) you can learn in like a day.

the strongest meterless punish MOST characters have is like fierce xx special.

People think the execution of the problem when of the spent more time learning matchups and footsie, theyd do better in matches.

You cant say that at all. There just isnt enough infomation on the fighting system to even go there.
Watch this video here; I can't remember if the commentator brings it up or not, but there is footage from the CC match (obviously) and you can see a frame where Ryu does a Shoryuken and cancels the recovery by going into his "charge" or V-trigger state. Chun-Li is still falling down some during his charge stance.

I mean, like you said it could be anything. But if I were a betting man, I'd say it's some kind of cancel feature (in addition to whatever else V-trigger enables)

From what very little I played of SFxT, the netcode was complete shit.

Nah, it was fine. With a good connection it was perfect.

Obviously, being based on rollback, if you were on a bad connect you'd notice frames skipping and such. But I'd take the really good netcode over whatever the fuck is in SF4. Netcode on USF4 is dogshit.

I think the most important thing with SFV will be including a ROBUST new player training section. Not only teaching combos, but fighting game fundamentals like spacing, footsies, buffering, etc. Most new people to SFIV get the impression that you need to learn big combos and then when they get in a game they realize their opponents won't just let them get free hits to start those combos.

Top Bottom