• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Luminous Studio tech interview (Part 1)

Exentryk

Thanks @Sqexgal for the translation.

Iwata: Luminous Studio is in version 1.4 at the moment. The FFXV demo included with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be ver. 1.5 and the plan is for the final production of FFXV to be ver. 2.0, upgrading as needed. Currently, the FFXV development team and the Luminous Studio engine development team are working as one on FFXV. At the current stage, I can’t speak concretely about titles in development using Luminous Studio besides FFXV, but I can firmly say that it isn’t an engine build solely for FFXV.

First off, the game’s resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels (1080p), with a 30fps frame rate. There are a lot of PS3 and Xbox 360 titles that had their output upscaled from the original 1280×720 to 1920×1080, but it seems that many next-gen titles like FFXV have original output at 1080p.

As for polygon numbers, visible and occluded polygons combined, there is about 5,000,000 polygons in just one frame. That’s roughly the same amount as Agni’s Philosophy. By the way, many PS3 and Xbox 360 titles had about 100,000 including occluded polygons, and FFXV has about 5 times that.

A main character’s appearance utilizes 10 levels of detail, and within that there are about 100,000 polygons in the extremely detailed 3D models. In PS3 and Xbox 360 titles, most had about 20,000 polygons, so here as well it’s 5 times that.

However, the number of polygons in Agni’s Philosophy was even more than FFXV, approximately 300,000 to 400,000. That difference is likely due to the fact Agni’s Philosophy is a visual product and not a game and there was more opportunity to upgrade the character and use high definition modeling. Especially since in Agni’s Philosophy, the number of polygon’s split between the character’s hair and clothing etc. is more than usual, thus the difference.

More here - http://sqex.info/ffxv-luminous-studios-developer-interviews-part-1/

Soulflarz

Banned
People expect 60fps as the standard for all games nowadays.

This just isnt true. I dont know a single person boasting 60fps for FFXV, it looks too detailed. I would never expect 60 fps for it, and I dont think most of gaf does. It's also not expected of all games, plenty are still 30fps.

Iwata: Luminous Studio is in version 1.4 at the moment. The FFXV demo included with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD will be ver. 1.5 and the plan is for the final production of FFXV to be ver. 2.0, upgrading as needed. Currently, the FFXV development team and the Luminous Studio engine development team are working as one on FFXV. At the current stage, I can’t speak concretely about titles in development using Luminous Studio besides FFXV, but I can firmly say that it isn’t an engine build solely for FFXV.

Interesting... Maybe that will be an engine on it's own after all...

How upset are people going to be to know that it won't be 60fps?

Tabata confirmed 30fps on his AMA already, it's not news.

Namikaze

Eh, I figured it would be 30FPS..like the FF games last gen on consoles. The real surprise for me is native 1080p, I was figuring it would be closer to 900p.

Edit: Oops, it's a 1080p target, but I think they'll get there. Wasn't even thinking it was possible until now.

Mortemis

Banned
At the current stage, I can’t speak concretely about titles in development using Luminous Studio besides FFXV, but I can firmly say that it isn’t an engine build solely for FFXV.

FFXVI? Pls.

I really hope the ps3 generation didn't start and turn FF into a one mainline game per generation series. Seeing XV take so long and SE in general makes me think that I'm just dreaming about the impossible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
None of you will ever fucking understand how fucking happy i am that this man just called out SE's own tech demo bullshit team.

"Oh these are the visuals we want to make on the next gen!" *shows obvious tech demo not running on actual hardware*

"fuck that, it was obviously a demo where we could make the things look pretty in a not game environment"

Its such a refreshing thing to hear after all that vague promising BS from SE for years.

Inuhanyou

^ That's what they started as apparently, but they are or want to move completely to luminous

You knew what I meant. A lot of people here expect 60fps as the standard going forward this generation.

Nah. These consoles are not miracle workers. I'll be happy with 1080p and decent IQ(USE SMAA AS A STANDARD DEVS! GET AWAY FROM FXAA!) as long as the framerate is decently stable and not crashing into the teens.

Inuhanyou

FFXIV is using Luminous

The director said it was only a 'sister' engine, because he was on the team who worked on both. But specifically said they are not the same engine. ARR's engine is an engine dedicated only to ARR.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
XIV uses a custom engine built by the same guy who imagined Luminous. It shares similar technology.

jett

D-Member
20% of a character's polycount is dedicated to hair.

Japan sure has a really strange fascination with hair. :p

So they confirm FFXV isn't the only game using Luminous at the moment. That's good to hear... Possibly.

Is it really good for them to stick to this mentality of trying to make a new engine each generation instead of using a general purpose one like the KH team? It seems like that resulted in a lot of issues last time.

Famassu

None of you will ever fucking understand how fucking happy i am that this man just called out SE's own tech demo bullshit team.

"Oh these are the visuals we want to make on the next gen!"

"fuck that, it was obviously a demo where we could make the things look pretty in a not game environment"

Its such a refreshing thing to hear after all that vague promising BS from SE for years.
Umm, why are you so butthurt about that? It was clear from the beginning that they can't put as much time & effort into every single aspect of an actual game that will probably have content for 100+ hours of gameplay than what they could do with Agni's Philosophy. It's not like Epic didn't do similar stuff with UE4 and its tech demo or Nintendo with the Wii U Zelda tech demo.

Besides, they say that FFXV's graphics won't be too much inferior in comparison to Agni's Philosophy and they are using pretty much all the techniques & tech that went into AP, just with a bit less detail than they could put into AP.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing what SQEX did with Agni's Philosophy (other than it not being an actual game, its concept is too cool for just a tech demo). If they don't aim high with what they want to achieve with something like Luminous, the actual games would be worse for it too. If they didn't aim for the engine to be able to produce the kind of stuff seen in AP, FFXV would have been worse off too.

benzy

Is it really good for them to stick to this mentality of trying to make a new engine each generation instead of using a general purpose one like the KH team? It seems like that resulted in a lot of issues last time.

Regardless of how much it costs them, I'm glad they had faith in the Luminous engine and stuck to it. Seems to be a much more capable engine than Crystal Tools ever was especially since it's designed to support open world from the get go.

jfxuul.gif

Inuhanyou

Umm, why are you so butthurt about that? .

I'm not butthurt. I'm happy infact that they no longer are acting like they can reach unlofty goals at the expense of actual game design. Hearing such straight talk out of an SE guy is great to see after years of garbage or non statements. It started with the direct of ARR and it seems with Tabata and others, they are finally speaking out

benzy

I'm not butthurt. I'm happy infact that they no longer are acting like they can reach unlofty goals at the expense of actual game design. Hearing such straight talk out of an SE guy is great to see after years of garbage or non statements. It started with the direct of ARR and it seems with Tabata and others, they are finally speaking out

Are we reading the same interview? They basically said they've come really close to the Agni's Philosophy tech demo...

Agni’s Philosophy operates in real time, with an established stream of cinematic content where the viewpoint can be changed while it’s in action. In contrast, the player controls the action in FFXV, so we have to make it even more dynamic than Agni’s Philosophy.

In FFXV, we took techniques from Agni’s Philosophy, but there is also new developments, and we are introducing various new techniques. if you actually look at the recent FFXV trailers, quality-wise we’ve reached a level that is not at all inferior to Agni’s Philosophy.

As for polygon numbers, visible and occluded polygons combined, there is about 5,000,000 polygons in just one frame. That’s roughly the same amount as Agni’s Philosophy.

Agni's Philosophy was prerender level, but FFXV's texture modeling is nearly the same level of detail.

Some cool tidbits here, but nothing terribly new. The game already looks great, knowing it's supposed to look better is nice. Never expected it to be 60fps either.

Top Bottom